• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Not only are they permitted to inspect your records, they also can inspect the C&R firearms you have listed in your bound book. (Title 27 CFR Chapter II, Part 478, Subpart C, Section 478.23 [right of entry and examination.]) This is why I will opt to have the annual inspection performed in their offices, an arrangement which is permitted by the same statute.

Why would you care if they inspected the firearms reported in your book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

He just said that there's an option other than having them come to your house. I can think of lots of reasons why someone would prefer not to have them pay a home visit--some just personal preference--and not the least of which might be that you and your wife don't want to have to clean up the house for "company". People's reasons are their own.

But this does bring up a reminder that if you have a C$R license, you want to keep the stuff that's in your bound book still C&R eligible ... and the best way to do that is to keep everything original.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    He just said that there's an option other than having them come to your house. I can think of lots of reasons why someone would prefer not to have them pay a home visit--some just personal preference--and not the least of which might be that you and your wife don't want to have to clean up the house for "company". People's reasons are their own.

But this does bring up a reminder that if you have a C$R license, you want to keep the stuff that's in your bound book still C&R eligible ... and the best way to do that is to keep everything original.

The reasonable inference was that something was going in that would cause him not to want the BATFE to look at his C$R stuff ...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The reasonable inference was that something was going in that would cause him not to want the BATFE to look at his C$R stuff ...

I must be unreasonable, then, because instead of trying to infer something, I just went by what he said:

"Not only are they permitted to inspect your records, they also can inspect the C&R firearms you have listed in your bound book. (Title 27 CFR Chapter II, Part 478, Subpart C, Section 478.23 [right of entry and examination.]) This is why I will opt to have the annual inspection performed in their offices, an arrangement which is permitted by the same statute."

It's an option that's available to the license holder, and he simply said that if he had to have his stuff inspected, he'd rather do it in their offices instead of at his house. I personally don't think it's necessary, especially on a public forum, to ask someone something like that. It's an individual preference, for whatever reason.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I must be unreasonable, then, because instead of trying to infer something, I just went by what he said:

"Not only are they permitted to inspect your records, they also can inspect the C&R firearms you have listed in your bound book. (Title 27 CFR Chapter II, Part 478, Subpart C, Section 478.23 [right of entry and examination.]) This is why I will opt to have the annual inspection performed in their offices, an arrangement which is permitted by the same statute."

It's an option that's available to the license holder, and he simply said that if he had to have his stuff inspected, he'd rather do it in their offices instead of at his house. I personally don't think it's necessary, especially on a public forum, to ask someone something like that. It's an individual preference, for whatever reason.

You must be

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD

It's pretty simple, Abulg. The one and only time I've had one of these visits, the agent insisted I drag out every firearm listed in my bound book. The only reason I could see for this process was to verify that I had not failed to list a disposal in the book.

In any event, I found the process to be a royal PITA. It would be more "royaler" as the size of one's collection increased. I simply don't wish to be troubled when it can legally be avoided. Nothing sinister lurking in the closet.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    It's pretty simple, Abulg. The one and only time I've had one of these visits, the agent insisted I drag out every firearm listed in my bound book. The only reason I could see for this process was to verify that I had not failed to list a disposal in the book.

In any event, I found the process to be a royal PITA. It would be more "royaler" as the size of one's collection increased. I simply don't wish to be troubled when it can legally be avoided. Nothing sinister lurking in the closet.

Understood and understand.

Dec 31, 2012
    Okay so I sent my application in but I was wondering if I should have had anything wrote down for the nonimmigrant alien section? I left it blank as I am a born U.S. citizen and didn't think it should pertain to me, but it seems some people were required to send in a different form. Also I just wanted to confirm that if I wanted to buy a C&R handgun I could have it shipped to me only if the handgun is coming from out of state, so no MSP fingerprinting or license required?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't know about the form question but, yes you can have C&R handguns sent to your house or buy them in person out of state. If you want to buy a C&R eligible handgun within Maryland you can't use the license but you won't need the HQL either. It'll be the same as any handgun sale before 10/1

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Okay so I sent my application in but I was wondering if I should have had anything wrote down for the nonimmigrant alien section? I left it blank as I am a born U.S. citizen and didn't think it should pertain to me, but it seems some people were required to send in a different form. Also I just wanted to confirm that if I wanted to buy a C&R handgun I could have it shipped to me only if the handgun is coming from out of state, so no MSP fingerprinting or license required?

If you are a red-blooded 'Murican, you can skip Q10.

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I found the article How to acquire your C&R FFL license over at garandgear.com useful, as it has a sample form filled out as an illustration.

My C&R just arrived in the mail today, a little damp from the rain but otherwise undamaged.

Mailed 5/4
    CC charged 5/7
    Arrived 5/29

:party29:

And, as I've read on MDS, the envelope really did look like a piece of junk mail. A piece of mail that is gravitationally attracted to my credit card...

Dec 31, 2012
    Just another quick question. Has anybody ever had any issues as far as their city/county zoning laws go? I initialed the question on the app because the way I took it, I thought it meant if I was allowed to have firearms in my home. Living in the city (Cumberland) I tried researching for ordinances regarding firearms but can't come up with much of anything.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    I'm working on the forms now. The only thing I'm wondering is which CLEO I should send their copy to. My city CLEO (Cumberland) may not know what the form is for. I'm thinking the county sheriff might be a better option.

Your CLEO might not even know what to do with it. For me I called the police department and asked who the CLEO was and they said it was the county sheriff. When I went to drop it off in person the deputy at the desk had no idea what it was for. After explaining it was for a FFL and I said that they don't have to do anything so long as they don't think I'm a felon or a threat.

Deputy asked, "are you a felon or a threat?"

"No" I replied

Deputy the takes the form and throws it in a pile or papers in the corner.

Easy day.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Just another quick question. Has anybody ever had any issues as far as their city/county zoning laws go? I initialed the question on the app because the way I took it, I thought it meant if I was allowed to have firearms in my home. Living in the city (Cumberland) I tried researching for ordinances regarding firearms but can't come up with much of anything.

I have not, but I'm not out Cumberland way. Only local ordnances I know of are in Montgomery County I think. In general I think our state laws are more then restrictive enough.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Zoning laws are for businesses. This has nothing to do with a business.
    Don't overthink this!

As for the CLEO letter: it's just a formality. Don't drop it off in person, like some have done. Just drop it in the mail and forget about it. The CLEO doesn't have to approve it or do anything with it. Many are confused by it. Presumably, most are thrown out or (hopefully) shredded.

I include a little cover letter:

"Dear Sheriff CLEO,

Enclosed is your copy of BATF Form Yadda Yadda, 'Application for Blah Blah'.
    This requires no action on your part.

Sincerely
    Threeband"

That's intended to relieve their confusion and speed the form's journey to the shredder.

Another thing, somone... was it you? mentioned an "annual audit" a few pages back. There is no annual audit. You will almost certainly never be audited.

Just fill out the form and mail it in and start shopping for a bigger safe.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It came! Thanks again for all the answers. Let the money hole commence!

Congrats. As for the money hole, din't even try hiding it from the significant other - its just too big.

Wife: "Why do you need another gun?"
    Me: Because its old fangled, from Poland, and has a thingy that goes up instead of straight-up."
    Wife: sigh - you're sleeping on the couch - again.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Congrats. As for the money hole, din't even try hiding it from the significant other - its just too big.

Me: Because its old fangled, from Poland, and has a thingy that goes up instead of straight-up."
    Wife: sigh - you're sleeping on the couch - again.

This is more like it:

Wife: "Well YOUR thingy isn't going straight-up for a long time!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom