• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    If you have to have a handgun, and a caliber under .45, you might want to think about a CZ82. The 9x18mak is not a bad round, and silver bear hollowpoints work very well in mine. For HD I'd recommend a 12ga but you can get a CZ82 for ~200.00 and 500 rounds of ammo would still keep you under 350 total...

ACTUALLY...that is a great idea!!! CZ82 is a great pistol and it and the ammo is very affordable.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    For me its all about being practical. For instance in my bedroom when i go to sleep i have a 92fs and my boxer on guard duty. My boxer is intimidating looking but absolutley not. He will alert me of any unwanted thing in my house in the middle of the night if he hears it. He is paranoid so I trust him to bark and go nuts as soon as he senses things arent right. Thats my alarm system. Now for the defense system. I have a 92fs that I shoot really well. Im dead accurate with it. and at 17 rnds and 1 extra mag its more than enough to get me to the babys room if it ever gets to that point where my family is in jepordy<sp? I use this pistol because it was a police trade in, I shoot it accuratley and train with it constantly. I trust this pistol. More importantly although I love the pistol,would hate to part with it when and if I ever had to use it , and fear the engraving pen. The fact remains its a police trade in. Cost me $300. Its not the prettiest pistol I own by a long shot. But it is my favorite to shoot. Practice ammo is cheap so that equals more trigger time. Im comfortable in protecting my family with it until I can get to the shotgun or AR if S really HTF. Glock is nice. Goes bang everytime. There are a million other pistols you can get that would be great for home defense. I personal choice is a good police trade in that you PRACTICE with to shoot better. Good value, no legal hassels due to trigger weight and all that mess. Im just saying man. Its worth looking into. I also have a nice 1911, Glocks, M&Ps.They all serve a purpose. The real way I look at deciding which gun is whats the job. For nightstand duy, personally i want something that I shoot accuratley and practice with on a regular basis. That Im not going to miss if MSP takes it away for a few weeks, months, years? Only to get it back with that damn electro pen scribbled all over it. I lied. I will miss it. But I would rather loose a police trade in pistol with some wear on it that only cost a couple of hundred then a brand new one thats going to get all fct up when and if MSP decides to give it back. Hence why my GLocks and M&P's get carry duty. Out of MD of course. I know I contradicted myself there but IMPO, If Im carrying I like striker fired compacts instead of DA/SA. And if I get into a situation while carrying, It doesnt matter to me what the gun cost as long as Im the one still standing. I think of it like I just payed $5-600 to save my own life or keep my family safe. At that price, to me is cheap.
    No matter what you decide on, the most important thing to do is know that weapon inside and out and PRACTICE. Also if you find things going bad for you quickly during a home invasion, keep in mind the pistol is really only a tool to get you to a shotgun or rifle. When I moved to MD I was 19, alone and living in Balt City. The only thing I could buy was a shot gun. You may want to look into that as well.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to give you some info.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Now dont be getting my thread all nasty.:D but where is the shampoo bottle? Thats the question.:innocent0

What you do with the shampoo bottle in the privacy of the shower is your own business. We really don't want to know.

CZ 82 might be okay, but I'd check out the Ruger 9mms if I were you. Check the classifieds here. Decent used Glocks, XDs etc show up regularly.

I personal choice is a good police trade in that you PRACTICE with to shoot better. Good value, no legal hassels due to trigger weight and all that mess. Im just saying man. Its worth looking into.

There's a lot of wisdom in Tconfo's post. It's worth re-reading.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    When i was living in florida i had a taurus 608 .357 mag loaded in my night stand. I lived in not a great place but its all i had at the time. And because of hard times i had to sell it. I loved it shoot it every week but when it came down to it it was just to bulky. Reason y i want to go smaller.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    WzbCJ.png

Not to thread jack, but is anyone else seeing this?! I was confused for a minute because I thought he was talking to himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom