• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    So I have an 18" noveske spr barreled AR that I built that I will be reloading for soon. Its 1/7 twist. It will be magazine fed.

So I have not ordered bullets for it yet. Powder wise I have some CFE223 and H335 to start with.

So what bullets would you order for paper but mostly critter control. My plan is to pratice on paper and then move up to coyote and ground hog at some distance hopefully.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    what distance you shooting.... paper at 600, 77gr SMKs or 75gr Hornady match HPBT's over varget.

H335 seems to work awesome but I have zero experience.

I have some Ramshot TAC also that I hear good things about.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I forgot I have a pound of varget too. Distance, I want to take this rifle to max effective range on a man size target on paper. If I can run an M4 out to 500 yards without any problems I think i can strech this ones legs to 700 yards.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    75 HPBT Hornady, 77SMK or 77 Nosler over 24.5gr Varget (assuming you have a Wylde or 5.56 chamber) with Rem 7-1/2 or Wolf SRM primers.

H335 use 52 A-Max or V-Max for 55 FMJBT.

No experience with CFE223.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I was mostly looking for input on projectiles. Id rather have someone recomend two or three different heavy rounds then just randomly order and try them out right now.

Ill try and track down some of those 75 HPBT Hornadys and some 77 SMKs.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I just finished a build with a 1/7 twist barrel as well and will be looking to build some rounds using larger grain projectiles.

I have used H335 before under 55gr FMJ and they worked great. Incidentally H335 being a ball powder meters much better then Varget or the other "stick" styles of powder. These were more along the plinking lines though. If you are building small lots just for precision then individually measuring the powder isn't a problem and Varget might be a better choice. Lately I have been using Win 748 with 55gr projectiles with good results. I found the Winchester because it has been so hard to find H335.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    with cfe223 and h335 being such good powders for loading 55gr ammo, I think hornady 55gr soft points would be a good choice. they are cheap in bulk, and by all accounts they are more accurate than fmj, and shoot well with the same loads as fmj. I loaded 600 the other night with 27.0 grains of cfe223 and wolf srm primers. its a compromise load that shoots well in all my rifles.

midsouth and midway both sell a 55gr sp thats even a little cheaper.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    If you're really trying to stretch the legs on a .223/5.56, I recommend the heavier bullets...anything 69 or lighter isn't going to hold up to any wind, and it'll lose velocity faster at range. Take a look at www.jbmballistics.com and run the trajectory tables for the heavier bullets...it'll give you a much better idea of what will maintain speed and buck the wind (if it offers, use the "Litz" coefficients...Brian Litz is the ballistician for Berger Bullets, an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist), and a great guy who knows his stuff...he got everyone off the G1 model and onto the G7 model for boattail ballistics).

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So I have an 18" noveske spr barreled AR that I built that I will be reloading for soon. Its 1/7 twist. It will be magazine fed.

So I have not ordered bullets for it yet. Powder wise I have some CFE223 and H335 to start with.

So what bullets would you order for paper but mostly critter control. My plan is to pratice on paper and then move up to coyote and ground hog at some distance hopefully.

I have a Colt R6601 (HBAR) w/ 1:7 twist that I used to use in High Power Rifle Matches (local).

H-335 and Sierra 69 gr BTHP MatchKings produce a verrrrrrrrrrry accurate load, from my rifle.
    This same load is incredibly accurate (surprised the H E double hockey sticks outta me!) in my Colt LE6920MP-B (same 1:7 twist).

I've used Winchester and Federal brass, and use mostly Winchester SR primers. Federal 205M primers are very good primers, too. (A lot of people won't use Federal primers in military type semi-autos, due to their reported softer cup.)

"I" use 23.0 grains of H-335, BUT, I strongly suggest that you work up the load for YOUR rifle, looking for signs of overpressure.

Even with 55 gr boolits (Hornady V-Max and Sierra BlitzKing and/or Blitz), H-335 is my 'go-to' powder in .223/5.56x45mm.

Again, go by reputable reloading manuals, and work up the load for YOUR rifle.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I see warnings in some of my reloading manuals about running 55 grain and under in a 1 in 7 twist. For normal miltary style jacket bullets, its probaby non issue. But for thin jacketed bullets, that fragment (Varmint style bullets) they state the 1-7 twist can cause them to break apart in flight.

Load data/reloading manual for Speer TNT, and V-Max are two that come to mind.

Speer states a 22 caliber bullet fired at 3200FT/Second will rotate a bullet at over 300,000 RPM, and can lightweight varmint bullets to rip apart in flight.

The 1-7" twist is better suited for more heavier 224" bullets. I would opt for a 62 grain or over for that rate.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I see warnings in some of my reloading manuals about running 55 grain and under in a 1 in 7 twist. For normal miltary style jacket bullets, its probaby non issue. But for thin jacketed bullets, that fragment (Varmint style bullets) they state the 1-7 twist can cause them to break apart in flight.

Speer states a 22 caliber bullet fired at 3200FT/Second will rotate a bullet at over 300,000 RPM, and can lightweight varmint bullets to rip apart in flight.

The 1-7" twist is better suited for more heavier 224" bullets. I would opt for a 62 grain or over for that rate.

My LE6920 (1-7) shoots my 55 grain reloads just fine. HPBT Hornady, and some generic HPBT.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I've heard/read the same thing.
    I've tried not to use very many 55 grain boolits in my R6601, because of that, but, some of the factory loaded 55 gr FMJ really shoot well from that rifle!

One guy at my sportsman's club, was shooting his old HBAR, using 52 grain boolits, and commented how the accuracy had gone all to _ _ _ _.
    He was shooting at 100 yards, and getting decent groups.
    When he shot at 200 yards, there were no holes in his target.
    He said that his brother watched him shoot, and it appeared that the boolit was coming apart and he thought that he was watching it happen, through his spotting scope!!
    (Truth????????? I have no idea, but, I have no reason not to believe him.)

My LE6920 (1-7) shoots my 55 grain reloads just fine. HPBT Hornady, and some generic HPBT.

Same here, but, my 6920 is 'basically' new, and the barrel is tight.

I won't be shooting 55 gr loads beyond 100 yards, anyway, with my LE6920MP-B and R6601.
    69 grain loads......... :D

I'll shoot the snot out of 55 grain boolits, with my AR6721 and Remington 799, though!

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Its not every 55 grain bullet that is the culprit ... it very thinned jacketed ones are the ones to watch. Mostly exploding/fragmenting varmint bullets. A Match Hollow point, or a thick jacketed FMJ, is probably no issue.

Nosler claims they have driven their Ballistic Tips to 5000Ft per second (in god knows what) and the bullet stayed in one piece

My opinion on using heavier bullets in the 1 in 7", is mainly because the 1 in 7 was pretty much used to extend the range of 223/556, but with using heavier bullets.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Yup that's the entire point of this rifle and why I picked 1/7. 100 yards is cake walk and to me will be a waste of a round in this rufle. I'm realistically going to be shooting at 500 plus with this.

If I can shoot an m4 with green tip at 500 yards than a heavy round should be able to go to the 6-700 yard range easily.

I'll be ordering some stuff from midayway this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom