• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Does anyone know anything about these rifles?

My wife and I got into CAS almost a year ago. We've been sharing a "previously loved" Rossi 92 since we started and are now thinking about getting another rifle, so I started looking into the 66 & 73.

CDNN has the Chaparrals at a much lower price than any other 66 or 73s I can find...
    Right around $600 - that’s about half the price of the other options.

I know that if CDNN has them - that means that they are discontinued. But, aside from being totally non-functional out of the box - is there really anything that can't be resolved for less than the additional ~$600 another brand would cost?

I've done some Google-fu and found out a little - more about the `76 that they made (which I believe was the first repro rifle they released)

As for the `73 - the majority of the info I can find seems to be in reference to when the Italian parts were being assembled in the US by Charter Arms in 2006-ish. Mostly not good reviews - but it seemed to revolve around the assembly (fit and finish) rather than the functionality. Also, judging by the date of the comments - those were written by folks that had just paid full price for them...

I called CDNN and they said that these are imports made by Armi San Marco. (presumably not the Charter assembled ones - I read some buzz that the ones by Charter were assembled in the US therefore they weren't required to have import marks)

For the "bargain" price, I'm willing to do/have some work done to it.

Anyone have any info/thoughts on these rifles?
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on one - but I'm hesitating because it seems a little too good to be true...

Or if someone has a real nice Cimmaron or Taylors (Uberti) `66 or `73 carbine in 357 that they are willing to let go of for about $600-700 - that would render these questions moot. :innocent0

I appreciate any input!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For that kind of scratch you can get a still in production Marlin 1894.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    For $600 you can get a Taurus copy of the Colt Lightning pump action rifle in .45 Colt. The two I've handled were pretty slick.

Jim

I'd thought about that - the pump certainly scores "cool" points...
    Thing is - I've never shot one - whereas, I've shot `73s & `66s and found that I do well with them (better than with the Rossi `92)

Maybe I should see if I can lay my hands on one and get a feel for it.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    For that kind of scratch you can get a still in production Marlin 1894.

I've considered that - although the "CB" model - which is what I'd need to buy to get the 10+1 capacity that I'd need for CAS is running about $750.

Also, the rumor is that they can't be cycled as fast as the 66/73 (not that I'm that good yet - but hopefully someday)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've considered that - although the "CB" model - which is what I'd need to buy to get the 10+1 capacity that I'd need for CAS is running about $750.

Also, the rumor is that they can't be cycled as fast as the 66/73 (not that I'm that good yet - but hopefully someday)

The "fast" 66/73s are modified to reduce the stroke needed to cycle the action. The pump gun is actually faster than a shotgun since it's only cycling the action enough to eject a .45 Colt round. Plus you don't need to remove your hands to cycle the action.

Jim

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Gotcha, didn't know about the mag capacity issue. For what it's worth, a good smith can make those actions slicker than snot but you're obviously spending some cash at that point. Good luck with whatever you pick, I'd love to see pictures of your CAS rig.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Actually, as in the above links - I've seen few reviews of the 73 & 66 - it seems that most of the folks that are negative are commenting based the experiences with the 76

I got a good deal on the weekly classifieds. Are you on Chuckaroos list?

See you soon.
    I am on his list - so maybe I should just standby and see if something comes up...

We plan on being there for the next shoot - hope you can too.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    The "fast" 66/73s are modified to reduce the stroke needed to cycle the action. The pump gun is actually faster than a shotgun since it's only cycling the action enough to eject a .45 Colt round. Plus you don't need to remove your hands to cycle the action.

Jim

I've been thinking about that more since you mentioned it - I'm really starting to like the thought of the pump gun. And - the price is even better.

Now, to try and find one in 357...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Until you are REALLY good, the speed of the various action cycling is almost nonissue compared to aquiring and hitting targets. And by that point you would likely be motavated to spend $$ on the custom 'smith of your choice.

But at the origional question, if a '66 or '73 catches you fancy, then grab one at the CDNN prices.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Until you are REALLY good, the speed of the various action cycling is almost nonissue compared to aquiring and hitting targets. And by that point you would likely be motavated to spend $$ on the custom 'smith of your choice.
    But at the origional question, if a '66 or '73 catches you fancy, then grab one at the CDNN prices.

Yep - I'm sure you're right about the speed - being realistic, I'll probably never be able to devote the amount of time that I'd need to get that good.

The '66/73 does catch my fancy (of course now the Thunderbolt does too! Thanks alot jimbobborg! :D)
    I was just hoping that I might turn up someone here at MDS that had/has direct experience with this model before I took the "chance" on a CDNN closeout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom