• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I was looking for a tumbler the first time I had a crazy thought. I was going to look for a rock tumbler at a hobby store. Never did go through with that plan, and later did buy a real tumbler. You may be able to make something like a rock tumbler. It would do the same thing as a vibrating machine, just take a little longer.

Rock tumblers are OK, but not much cheaper.

For general cleaning, IMO, a vibratory works better. And you can tumble loaded rounds. DO NOT do this in rotary tumbler.

A rotary allows the use of stainless steel media with water. VERY good cleaning, but then you need to dry the cases.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Rock tumblers are OK, but not much cheaper.

For general cleaning, IMO, a vibratory works better. And you can tumble loaded rounds. DO NOT do this in rotary tumbler.

A rotary allows the use of stainless steel media with water. VERY good cleaning, but then you need to dry the cases.

:sad20: you arent helping my decision!!!! I almost got a RCBS but then thought about a rock tumbler from harbor freight. I don't play to process huge amounts of brass but at the same time I will be loading 30-06 and 308 and don't want to be limited to only 50 per cycle.

Jan 14, 2008
    I picked up a harbor freight tumbler (with 20% coupon) and a harbor freight ultrasonic (another 20% coupon). Both work good. I left the tumbler on for 12 hours by accident, it still works fine and does the job nicely. Had them both about a year now, no issues.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    :sad20: you arent helping my decision!!!! I almost got a RCBS but then thought about a rock tumbler from harbor freight. I don't play to process huge amounts of brass but at the same time I will be loading 30-06 and 308 and don't want to be limited to only 50 per cycle.

I've been tumbling 100-150 .308 cases at one time, in my Lyman Turbo Tumbler 1200.

Buy once. Cry once.

Seriously, my oldest one has been in service for over 30 years, with no signs of stopping.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Don't have a prob paying a little more jjst that everyone seems to love the rotary I took a step back and have held off. I don't want ultrasonic but was stuck between rotart and vibe.

byf43

Don't have a prob paying a little more jjst that everyone seems to love the rotary I took a step back and have held off. I don't want ultrasonic but was stuck between rotart and vibe.

Let me tease you with a pic from a vibratory cleaner (Lyman Turbo Tumbler 1200).

These .308 cases ran in the tumbler for about 3 hours. (150 pieces of brass - one load in the tumbler.)
    These cases had been in a 5 gallon bucket, with about 1,000 other cases, for years.
    Lizzard bedding (crushed walnut shells) was the media.

Here's another view, after final tumbling to remove sizing lube.
    Jeweler's rouge treated media. Lyman calls it "Tuff-Nut" media.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Let me tease you with a pic from a vibratory cleaner (Lyman Turbo Tumbler 1200).

These .308 cases ran in the tumbler for about 3 hours. (150 pieces of brass - one load in the tumbler.)
    These cases had been in a 5 gallon bucket, with about 1,000 other cases, for years.
    Lizzard bedding (crushed walnut shells) was the media.

Here's another view, after final tumbling to remove sizing lube.
    Jeweler's rouge treated media. Lyman calls it "Tuff-Nut" media.

So along with you wisdom what uou are trying to say is you have some 308 brass to share with a member in need. :innocent0

byf43

So along with you wisdom what uou are trying to say is you have some 308 brass to share with a member in need. :innocent0

Ummmmmmmmmmm. . . . no. :D Sorry.

Also are you using two sets of media of two different tumblers?

Yes.
    In my older tumbler, I use Lizzard Bedding (crushed walnut shells) for the initial cleaning, and in the newer one, I run the Jeweler's Rouge embedded "Tuff-Nut", to 'cut' the lube off of the cases and put a final 'shine' on the brass.

I put both tumblers on a timer (2 outlet) and can over-ride the timer if I'm in the shop, working.

Not saying that 'my' system is the best. Just saying that it works for me.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    So now you are saying I need two tumblers???? :sad20:

On the lyman that one has a sifter lid does that bot cause dust issues? Or do you just cover it with a bag?

Also never said I wouldn't trade for some :innocent0

byf43

So now you are saying I need two tumblers???? :sad20:

On the lyman that one has a sifter lid does that bot cause dust issues? Or do you just cover it with a bag?

Also never said I wouldn't trade for some :innocent0

Both of my Lyman(s) have solid tops.

Yes, the Lizzard bedding DOES create some powder/dust, but, with the solid top, it's a non-issue. I (personally) wouldn't put a bag over the sifter lid.

I'd find an ice cream or punch mix lid (remember the old "High's Dairy" frozen punch containers??? Or, the Fisher's Popcorn plastic tubs???)
    Those containers work great for holding brass, too!
    Or - cut a piece of 1/4" plywood slightly larger than the opening of the tumbler, drill a hole for the center shaft, then place that on the top of the tumbler.
    (Or, just get the tumbler w/ the solid top.)

Brass has gotten to be too great a commodity, now.
    I have (in the past) given away a BUNCH of brass. 7.62x39mm, .223, .30-'06, .45 acp, 9mm, .40 S&W.

I had been giving away 3lb coffee cans full of brass.
    I gave away about 400 pieces of 7.62x39 boxer primed, once-fired brass, not too long ago.

.308/7.62x51mm is what I'm currently shooting the most, so, I'm hanging on to that.
    Sorry.

One friend tried to push our friendship 'over the edge' this past week.
    He called (from work) and wanted me to GIVE him 1,000 rounds of .22lr so one of his NEW co-workers and he could go shooting.
    (He recently retired from his Federal LEO job and is now working part-time in a "Security" job.)

I laughed. GIVE him 1,000 rounds of ammo!!!!!!!
    I asked him what he's been smoking.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    NP thanks again for the info.

I happen to have way to much of some brass/bullets and barely any of the others.

I guess I have to look at a different lyman the one I saw had a lid that is also a sifter so unless you cover the lid the dust would probably be bad in a garage while running the tumbler.
    s7_214957_999_01

Thanks agian
    Steve

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    IMHO, the best vibratory tumbler on the market is the Berry's 400 tumbler. This tumbler is blue from them, but it comes in different flavors from different manufacturers. Cabelas, RCBS, frankford arsenal all sell this same tumbler as their own brand. I have abused my old green cabelas tumbler(still a berrys 400) in ways that should have made it quit a long time ago. I have way overloaded it, run batch after batch, and even forgot about it out in the shop for over 48 hours of continuous operation. If you drop the cash and get the cabelas or frankford arsenal or whatever one is on sale right now, you wont go wrong, and it would very well suit your needs. The newer Lyman tumblers are shit. I had an older one that was handed down to me that was over 20 years old when it finally quit. I burned up 3 2500 pros in the course of 1 year, and will never buy another one. I got 2 warranty replacements after my initial purchase. I ended up throwing the last one away.

I also use a cement mixer to dry tumble brass. It is really convenient to be able to do a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

I also wet stainless tumble. As I write this, I have 1k of .45 acp running in my small drum. The Thumler model b will do about 5 lbs of brass, and a kit with media runs over $200. I have a copy of a Biggdawg tumbler that I built before he started selling them. I made mine after I saw his thread on another forum about building one for his personal use.the good thing about wet stainless tumbling is that you put in dirty deprimed brass and perfectly clean brass comes out. The insides and the primer pockets are clean, and ready to go. Discolored brass is cleaned, and it comes out bright and shiny. I took some old green corroded brass and ran it, and it came out looking brand new.

There are many options, but I really feel that the best value for you will be the berry's tumbler in whatever flavor is on sale right now will be the best value for you.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If I want to keep my running around to a minimum, If I were to buy a vibratory cleaner or tumbler from HF, what media would I use if I wanted to get something local and available. I don't want to have to run around or order online. Thx
    Right now, though, all of my brass is PPU or Herters and I shot them one at a time and they never hit the floor. I'll eventually reload pistol ammo though.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    If I want to keep my running around to a minimum, If I were to buy a vibratory cleaner or tumbler from HF, what media would I use if I wanted to get something local and available. I don't want to have to run around or order online. Thx
    Right now, though, all of my brass is PPU or Herters and I shot them one at a time and they never hit the floor. I'll eventually reload pistol ammo though.

You can get media from harbor freight too. Nu-Finish car polish is an excellent additive. Also.....check your Herters brass with a magnet. I just threw a couple hundred rounds in the scrap steel bin at the shop. A lot is brass plated steel.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    ^^^ This. ^^^

Petco. Ask for "Lizzard Bedding". About $12-$15 for 11 or 12 pounds.

:thumbsup:

They were out of lizard bedding the day I stopped in. The nice lady pointed me to some cat litter that is walnut based. Works fine in my vibratory cleaner.
    That said, I like my rotary tumbler a lot more. The unit is quieter, won't fall off a shelf, you can get several barrels cheap. Lots of advantages for me. The brass sparkles when you use a little Dawn liquid, and either Finish or Lemi shine rinse agent. I picked up some stainless steel pins to clean the primer pockets on my rifle brass while it tumbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom