• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Maybe I will just stock up on surplus 7.62x54R for my 3 mosins and shoot the shit out of them. I love the sights and how they shoot, but the kick does really come through to your shoulder, especially on the M44 carbine. I also sadly discovered that my dpms AR in .308 much prefers 7.62x51 military stuff to commercial .308. I thought that .308 and 7.62x51 nato were interchangable, but that gun seems to much prefer the nato stuff. So now I will need to stock up on military packs of that ammo too.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Maybe I will just stock up on surplus 7.62x54R for my 3 mosins and shoot the shit out of them. I love the sights and how they shoot, but the kick does really come through to your shoulder, especially on the M44 carbine. I also sadly discovered that my dpms AR in .308 much prefers 7.62x51 military stuff to commercial .308. I thought that .308 and 7.62x51 nato were interchangable, but that gun seems to much prefer the nato stuff. So now I will need to stock up on military packs of that ammo too.

762x54 is about 90.00 for I think 440 rounds

.308 nato is 90.00 for 200 round packs

Eitherway when you look at modern prices, both the above prices are Win win.

Oh and If i remember correct nato is either a tad bit longer or shorter than commercial ammo, i forget which. Ed can tell you

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have a Marlin XS7 in .308 and am super happy with it. It can use savage barrels so has lots of options if you want to upgrade it in the future. I haven't done anything to mine but to put a bipod on it and an inexpensive scope. The trigger is fantastic, I really couldn't ask for more. It's also more accurate than I am, 0.7MOA is not unusual out of the box. Boyds also makes custom stocks if you want to upgrade in the future. I highly recommend the XS7.

-Jim

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As FPS said, there are a few mausers are in .308. I just picked up that enfield for the equivalent of 200.00(I traded a p64 pistol to a member here). They can be found in the 200-325 range in good shape.

Here is a Spanish mauser in .308 that has a few minor issues but is 150 shipped.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=105060

I wouldnt be upset about the lack of modern ammo for the mosins. Surplus ammo is Much cheaper anyway, just clean your gun when you are done.
    Plus for something in .308 nato, figure like this. a 200 round battle pack is running 90.00 at the shows. And ill guess that a box of .308 new production at walmart is about 20.00 per 20 rounds. and most likely 25.00 for the same box at say Dicks or another sporting goods store.

We should have an honest discussion about the C&R options in .308, most are not really .308 but 7.62*51 which is significantly lower power than most over the counter .308. There are also slight differences in the case design. In most cases, they will handle reasonable .308 loads fine but there are reports of stretching steel etc especially with Spanish Mausers. This is the reason even Winchester sells 7.62*51 and .308 ammo. Probably not a huge deal and the risk is likely low but if you are planning on running 180 grn softponts through the gun routinely something to really consider http://www.303british.com/id36.html

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    Dicks has remington 700 ADL heavy barrels with mounts, rings, and a cheap (holdover til you can get a better) scope on sale $399.00

Xmark pro trigger (not an accu trigger but still decent for factory) these are nice rifles. A choate target tactical stock and a nikon buckmaster mildot would be nice additions and still keep it sub.$ 1K

:thumbsup:

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Thanks for all the advice. After thinking about it I might sell my.308 autoloader and invest the money on more milsurp stuff that can take inexpensive surplus ammo. I really like iron sights also so buying a hunting rifle that only has a rail wouldn't really be my thing. I really like Mosins and own several of them already. Maybe I will branch out and look for a good Mauser, or shoot that old sporterized springfield 1903 that has been living in the back of the closet for 7 years.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya I understand the feeling, higher calibers like .308 I tend to savor in a bolt gun as opposed to lighter calibers that are more fun in a semi.

Generally as noted above I prefer Savage, I did pop for one of the below mainly because it has solid iron sites, is lightweight and by all accounts accurate. Plus I had an extra DMS-1 scope that will mount well forward. Plus I have a well known love of laminates.

6803.jpg

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Thanks for all the advice. After thinking about it I might sell my.308 autoloader and invest the money on more milsurp stuff that can take inexpensive surplus ammo. I really like iron sights also so buying a hunting rifle that only has a rail wouldn't really be my thing. I really like Mosins and own several of them already. Maybe I will branch out and look for a good Mauser, or shoot that old sporterized springfield 1903 that has been living in the back of the closet for 7 years.

I have some mausers in the classifieds, 7.62 nato, but good strong FN large ring actions that can handle .308 no problem. In Aberdeen.

http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=5080

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    If you dont hunt then why buy a hunting style rifle? why not buy a C&R rifle in .308? I just picked this up in .308, they are under 300.00 and cool old rifles. Ishapore 2A enfield

I purchased a Ishapor Enfield a year back. The damm thing was covered in sloppy black paint and grease, an equally sloppy coat of dark varnish on the Stock.

However after two days of stripper and rubbing I got a .308 Nato Enfield with 80% Blue and a excellent Bore. Turned out to be an excellent shooter for just a few dollars and a lot of scrubbing.

It should be noted that the Weapon was designed for ,308 Nato and most knowledgeable Gunsmiths recommend against using modern .308 Ammo.

Ed

where can i find one of these .308 Enfields for under $300??

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    We should have an honest discussion about the C&R options in .308, most are not really .308 but 7.62*51 which is significantly lower power than most over the counter .308. There are also slight differences in the case design. In most cases, they will handle reasonable .308 loads fine but there are reports of stretching steel etc especially with Spanish Mausers. This is the reason even Winchester sells 7.62*51 and .308 ammo. Probably not a huge deal and the risk is likely low but if you are planning on running 180 grn softponts through the gun routinely something to really consider http://www.303british.com/id36.html

:thumbsup: Purchased my Ishapore 2A enfield after reading all the reports indications are the 2A was made from scratch using high quality Steel designed to use the NATO round, as the Spanish 7.62's were converted Weapons.

Neither was designed to use Modern Winchester .308 Ammo, I use nothing but NATO in my 2A although a lot of Shooters use Modern .308, just not for me.

If I were to use the 2A on a Hunt I would work up a Reload keeping the pressure within Specs. Not sure what if any low to Mid pressure Rounds are being made that are guaranteed safe for use.

Personally If I were to suggest anyone go C&R It would be to stay away from the Spanish and use only NATO Rounds or equivalent .308.

I know there are some Spanish owners will disagree with me. By the way if you buy the 2A expect a Weapon covered in sloppy black paint, thick varnish and caked on grease everywhere. You need to damm near bathe them in Paint Remover for a Week, or avoid that and find one on a Gun Board or Show where someone else has done all the dirty work.

I've put hundreds of Surplus NATO rounds through my 2A without as much as a split Case Neck. It's an Enfield and for the money a damm fine Weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4W6Hqam3-c&playnext=1&list=PL1E379A2732CDD7F6

Later,
    Ed

Last edited:

sean05

May 20, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I think everyone covered it about but steer away from the Remington 770s. Ive been doing a good amount of research on a decent beginner precisions rifle and everyone says the 770s has a bunch of flaws.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    there are some surplus Mausers that are in 7.62 Nato you can find cheap. Also Ishapor Enfields made in India are also in the same caliber.

^This. I have an Ishy 2A1. Fantastic rifle! The only complaint I have with mine is a feed issue once I get down to 2 or 3 rounds in the mag.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Go figure I have never owned a Remington rifle...Being left handed they were one of the few compoanies many years ago that had southpaw weapons. I have owned and still own Savage rifles. They have defintely stepped up to the plate and swung with power to make their mark in the rilfe world. Their QC is excellent and I have nothing but good things to say and I have heard nothing but positive comments, hard to go wrong with them I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom