• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiana cletus

Slayer of squirrels
    Apr 26, 2011
    pikesville md
    As said before, ruger mk I,II,III or 22/45. The heritage seems ok but most reviews say that doesnt last. Which is why i have a single six, you can sometimes find them cheap and they are tanks as well.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    If your looking for target shooting you should get a longer barrel pistol such as the Ruger Marks or the browning.

I found my 22/45 on a used rack and it has never failed me. It is one of the guns that all ways goes to the range with me when I go to shooting.

I have the Taurus PT22 if you want to try it before you buy one. If you like it I might be willing to part with it as my needs have changed for a mouse gun.

df

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    The Single Six is fantastic, they now make the Single-Ten which is exactly 4 rounds better though. I wonder why everyone loves the Single Six and you never hear anyone talk about the Bearcat? Is it less accurate, durable or something? It seems like it'd make an even better trail/pack gun.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I have to say Ruger Mk II as well. Only bad thing I can say about them is takedown and reassembly.

1, I think that the difficulty of this is very overstated. 2, you rarely every need to take it down, I've put 1500 rounds through mine since the last time I cleaned it, still ticking away like a clock.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Don't get a 22A. I loved mine up until it two pieced itself and then in my research I found others! The aluminum frame is the heel like the slide on a P22. My 22A is at S&W still waiting to see what my replacment options are. If they let me get something else paying the difference I'm going revolver.

I bought a Ruger Mark III Target two days after sending off my 22A. It's a tank! All Stainless, accurate and you can really customize it plus add a rail (included) and red-dot.

It is so much better than the others in many ways and $430 I think is what I paid shipped through Bud's. I started with a P22 (garbage), 22A (rolling the dice) and then this. I should have just spent a little more in the beginning and thought about construction more!
    432080_353559658057629_1563682650_n.jpg

185051_453415821348539_879719433_n.jpg

The buffers are important on the 22A. My original is still holding up but I am going to replace it soon. Takedown and reassembly are a piece of cake on the 22A though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    When considering an "inexpensive" .22, one thing to keep in mind is that you will be saving a bundle on ammunition. Go ahead and figure how much you'd save over a year, and use some of the savings to upgrade your pistol budget.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    OP-don't know where you are located nut The Gun Shop in Essex has some nice used Rugers in the case. MK I and II I think

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Here are some drawbacks to the 22A based on my firsthand experiences:

- Shock buffs need replaced
    - No extra power recoil spring for it
    - Barrel lug will loosen on you. Blue, green, red loctite won't fix it. Maybe a weld?
    - No good replacement grips for it and aftermarket improvement parts are less
    - Frames have a known history of breaking/cracking

They are easy to take down though and accurate! I get a replacement back from S&W (should be brand new) I will sell you it at a reasonable price. I would never go back to it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If you want cheap, go with the Heritage Rough Rider. Mine is the NRA version and the finish is just fine on it. It is a nice little six shooter. If you want inexpensive, go with the Ruger Mark I, II, or III. I have all three and love them all. You can pick up a used Ruger Mark for $350 or less. If I could only have one .22 pistol, it would be a Ruger Mark.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    OP, I do not have experience with those, but I have a Walther P22. There is about 7,000-8,000 rounds through it. Other than cleaning it, it's an awesome little pistol. Ergonomic and light. When you are ready to step up, they also make a P99 (larger caliber, frame - same ergonomics).

Used...$200-300. New $350-400.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Single Six is fantastic, they now make the Single-Ten which is exactly 4 rounds better though. I wonder why everyone loves the Single Six and you never hear anyone talk about the Bearcat? Is it less accurate, durable or something? It seems like it'd make an even better trail/pack gun.

I think it gets no love because it's SO small. Even in my fairly small hands it disaapears. The Single-Six isn't that much more expensive but just seems like a much more substantial pistol in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom