• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrdave2010

Aug 8, 2011
    Maryland
    Morning everybody,
    I have a crossbow.... I am also lazy..... am i going to die if I try to make a crossbow range in my basement laundry room??? I was thinking of buying some foam targets made for 400fps arrows and constructing a wall out of them.. only concern is length of room is about 20 ft through a door......

I'm bored, its Sunday and its raining..... would like to shoot in my house

ideas?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Crossbows are illegal on every outdoor range that I know of...

The reason is that their backstops won't stop a crossbow bolt...

And the targets get destroyed very quickly...

Let us know you use & how you make out...

Good luck..!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    20' is not very far-but one of those "speedbag" bag targets would work -foam targets will make it very hard to extract your arrows which will bury themselves up to the fletching.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

Good luck..!
    if they will stop a rifle bullet why wont they stop a crossbow bolt?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    What are you trying to accomplish by shooting a crossbow at 20 ft?

I could understand a regular bow and wanting to build up muscle and work on form but I am having a hard time understanding the reasoning for a crossbow.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Piece of cake.

Make up some blunts (bolts--not the smokey-smokey stuff, Bob Marley); the kind of arrowheads used by archers on small game.

Stretch a rope or some 550 cord across one end of the room at eyeball level, about 8" from the wall, and over that hang at least six layers of heavy canvas.

Draw your target on that. The canvas will flex and stop your bolts, which will drop straight to the floor. Have a piece of carpet on the floor to protect the nocks, etc.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County

Good luck..!

I'ts not indoor, but if you are have privileges on military posts, there is an archery range on APG. Its free to use and allows crossbows (its where you have to qualify to get a permit to hunt on post).

As for targets, they used to have huge straw filled bags on some lanes. My bolts buried completely in those (sticking out the back). On a hard foam 3D target, the bolts were stopped but really hard to remove. They did have a couple of targets that worked great with crossbows, and have now upgraded all lanes to them. I think they are made by Bigshot. They stop the bolts very nicely, and the bolts are also easy to pull out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Crossbows are "legal" at AGC and a lot of ranges so long as you have the right targets. Not only are they legal, but you will see a lot of people using them now during state or county quals for managed hunts. 3D targets will stop them (even with broadheads) but they are a PITA to remove. There is nothing in the rules for AGC for example about crossbows, only a rule that specifies field points and target arrows (I do not recommend standard archery range targets though for crossbows you will destroy arrows).

I have both a crossbow block and 12"x12" green Hurricane bag crossbolt stop. Both stop the bolt, even from 5 yds (I sight in indoors before taking it out, and also take the bag hunting).

My suggestion: block, bag (or multiple one in front of the other to be on the safe side), and 1 or 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood as a backstop behind the targets.

You won't die. However, if there is not enough clearance between the back of the bag and the backstop/wall you may punch a hole and/or break an arrow, or divot the cinder block. A 22" arrow will penetrate up to about the fletching, leaving a few inches of arrow through the target. If you hit the same exact hole twice (or, miss!), you may be thankful for the plywood.

You did not say if you have an arrow puller, but a $5 arrow puller is an excellent investment.

mrdave2010

Aug 8, 2011
    Maryland
    I'll also look for an arrow puller!, wish i had a big house in the country then i could build an indoor firing range in the basement.... well i guess ill put that on a wish list for a retirement house down the road. . .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Crossbows are illegal on Archery Ranges...

The only thing that stops a rifle bullet at a Rifle Range is the Dirt Berm behind it...

Please show me where it says they're illegal, ie the DNR or MD reg. I looked up the rules of several ranges, including AGC, crossbows are fine. I personally know many people who have had their crossbow on archery ranges (including for state and county archery quals), with DNR present, so its hard for me to believe. Maybe it used to be so, or maybe only in certain places, or maybe some ranges still disallow them, but I've been to quite a few ranges in central MD with my crossbow without a problem. I guess I should add last time I was at AGC was Oct and all the RSO and archery Range manager said about my bow was "nice"

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Please show me where it says they're illegal, ie the DNR or MD reg. I looked up the rules of several ranges, including AGC, crossbows are fine. I personally know many people who have had their crossbow on archery ranges (including for state and county archery quals), with DNR present, so its hard for me to believe. Maybe it used to be so, or maybe only in certain places, or maybe some ranges still disallow them, but I've been to quite a few ranges in central MD with my crossbow without a problem. I guess I should add last time I was at AGC was Oct and all the RSO and archery Range manager said about my bow was "nice"

The Archery ranges that I'm speaking of are Private Archery Clubs that are members of the Maryland Archery Association...

Those ranges are maintained by the members...

We all learned long ago that Crossbows will destroy their Archery Targets &

Will destroy any Target Arrows that enter the target with crossbow bolts still stuck in them...

I'm not aware of what type Archery Targets are used at AGC or Elk Neck or who pays for them...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The Archery ranges that I'm speaking of are Private Archery Clubs that are members of the Maryland Archery Association...

Those ranges are maintained by the members...

We all learned long ago that Crossbows will destroy their Archery Targets &

Will destroy any Target Arrows that enter the target with crossbow bolts still stuck in them...

I'm not aware of what type Archery Targets are used at AGC or Elk Neck or who pays for them...

Yes, the rules are range specific. But, not "illegal" as in against state or county law. You have to check range rules and the range manager to see if you can use the community targets or bring your own. Since deer hunting with crossbows is now allowed throughout Maryland, I'd be surprised if they prohibited you from bringing your own. An 18x18 crossbow block is pretty portable.

Even if a range has no rule against using their targets, that does not make it a good idea. I bring one when I go to AGC (Block or hurricane bag works fine, other people bring 3d targets).

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    awesome, I'll look into that brand of target, if not for inside the house, then maybe for out in a field!

One thing I forgot to mention - always aim at a new spot with each shot. Crossbows can be very accurate (especially when fitted with a scope). I was only out shooting for the second time before I "robin hooded" a bolt at 35 yards. It seems kind of cool the first time, until you think about the cost of bolts. Many of the targets have 4-5 spots or targets to aim at, if not, make your own with stickers or something. That way you avoid destroying bolts.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    One thing I forgot to mention - always aim at a new spot with each shot. Crossbows can be very accurate (especially when fitted with a scope). I was only out shooting for the second time before I "robin hooded" a bolt at 35 yards. It seems kind of cool the first time, until you think about the cost of bolts. Many of the targets have 4-5 spots or targets to aim at, if not, make your own with stickers or something. That way you avoid destroying bolts.

Excellent point. I used to damage other arrows on occasion when I was shooting my regular bow a lot and doing a lot of bow hunting. I never had a 'Robin Hood' but I did shoot off quite a few nocks and crease some arrows enough to make them unusable. I couldn't imagine having to replace all of them at today's cost of arrows.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom