• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    My family have permit for various reasons. One that is common to us all is working with our dogs. When we renewed our permits, son was initially denied, mine had same restrictions as last time, and my wife's, they left it off completely. Does anyone read the application packages? Seems like it is an individual interpertation in the MSP.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I have had a permit since 1995. It has never had the same set of restrictions on it. Every time it gets renewed it is different. This was a point I made before the HPRB when I appealed my restrictions last year.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Yep pretty much is up to the guy approving the license to set the restrictions. Not only are they arbitrary they are nebulous as well. Take mine "Valid only while conducting business as owner of ** business"

What exactly does that mean? I conduct a great deal of business on my cell phone which I answer pretty much all day long and on weekends. All of my office calls are forwarded to my cell phone when I am out of the office. So theoretically I am always on call for the business and ergo conducting business wherever I go.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Yep pretty much is up to the guy approving the license to set the restrictions. Not only are they arbitrary they are nebulous as well. Take mine "Valid only while conducting business as owner of ** business"

What exactly does that mean? I conduct a great deal of business on my cell phone which I answer pretty much all day long and on weekends. All of my office calls are forwarded to my cell phone when I am out of the office. So theoretically I am always on call for the business and ergo conducting business wherever I go.

You won't know until the first time you have to use it.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA

Yes, this ^^^. That's why I said that that restriction language is the least restrictive I have seen. Most of us who own small entrepreneurial businesses are *always* conducting business -- it's how our businesses survive and grow. I never miss an opportunity to promote my company when interacting with people, wherever I am.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The good news is that according to the MSP, all any law enforcement officer has to do is to call Sgt. Knaub (any time, day or night!) and he'll clear things right up.

Right.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    This is exactly why HB1263 is so dangerous. If you guess wrong and carry outside your restrictions, this bill if passed would send you to jail with mandatory minimum sentences - just as if you were a pimp who shot someone using a stolen gun. See here for more details, then turn out to Annapolis on March 9th and March 15th to do something about it!

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    The good news is that according to the MSP, all any law enforcement officer has to do is to call Sgt. Knaub (any time, day or night!) and he'll clear things right up.

Right.

Or you can carry your keys from work, then you are working. But you might need a note.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    A laminated note according to Mrs. White:mad54:

While I know she suggested that, that is not going to fly anywhere. Letters can be typed up by anyone and the only thing thats going to determine if the restrictions are being followed is the responding officer when he looks at the back of the CCW permit. No one is going to entertain someone carrying around a letter, which is why restrictions are bogus to begin with.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    While I know she suggested that, that is not going to fly anywhere. Letters can be typed up by anyone and the only thing thats going to determine if the restrictions are being followed is the responding officer when he looks at the back of the CCW permit. No one is going to entertain someone carrying around a letter, which is why restrictions are bogus to begin with.

You know that's not true. If a restricted person was carrying and had their note, you know a Baltimore county police officer under the direction of Jim Johnson , would immediately call the hprb day or night to find out if their note was sufficient. And I'm sure that wouldn't lead to more than a few minutes of delay. Isn't that couple of minutes worth it to keep us safe? Without restrictions, it would be the Wild West.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Ok, now I'm curious about my restriction.

"Off duty hours while employed as an instructor with <my agency>. (MD ONLY) (MOT valid for any other employment purposes.) Not valid where Firearms are prohibited."

I didn't think too much of it at first, but does this seem odd to anyone? Can this be twisted to screw me over? How is "off duty" defined? Technically, I'm on the hook to be called in 24/7. What if I change jobs within the agency? At a minimum, I think I want the "as an instructor" removed. Or should I shut up and be happy I got a permit?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You know that's not true. If a restricted person was carrying and had their note, you know a Baltimore county police officer under the direction of Jim Johnson , would immediately call the hprb day or night to find out if their note was sufficient. And I'm sure that wouldn't lead to more than a few minutes of delay. Isn't that couple of minutes worth it to keep us safe? Without restrictions, it would be the Wild West.

put up the knaub signal :innocent0

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    put up the knaub signal :innocent0
    :cool:

th

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members