Inappropriate exchange with gun store owner while concealed carrying at his store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoffyD

Sep 6, 2022
    Washington county
    Sounds to me like you should just open carry so you can get the attention you are looking for. Maybe get a leg holster so it’s no mistake people will see it

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A good rule of thumb is to never tell anyone you are carrying a loaded firearm.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    Why on Gods green earth would someone announce they are carrying upon entering an establishment. Perhaps you should take the time to understand Maryland law and know what locations are prohibit, what locations are not.

Do you announce that your carrying every time you enter a place of business “just in case”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoffyD

Sep 6, 2022
    Washington county
    Why on Gods green earth would someone announce they are carrying upon entering an establishment. Perhaps you should take the time to understand Maryland law and know what locations are prohibit, what locations are not.

Do you announce that your carrying every time you enter a place of business “just in case”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably walks into the bank on payday telling everyone that he just got paid

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thanks again. It’s cool tho. I have my regular gun stores I shop at I just so happened to be in that part of town yesterday. No worries and won’t patronize their business either.
    It’s one thing to discuss openly if you are a regular and have had some positive interactions before, but when you’re a first timer off the street, seems a little too forward. As for the response, sounded fine to me as well, suggest not being so sensitive to words.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I think you got your pronouns confused.

Dude prolly said "Don't pull it out unless you're gonna exercise your right". He's telling you keep it in your pants unless you need to use it. Look around and you may see this posted in his store

71FO12YA9UL._AC_SY450_.jpg

This. It's a common sign in small gun stores in free america.
    It's there to keep excited concealed carriers from pulling out their gun and waving it around in the store. The employee was pretty much quoting the sign. No offense was intended.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When you carry, don't mention you are carrying.

Otherwise, see post #3!

Do you tell everyone what religion you are, when you worship?
    I agree. Including about religion.

But plenty of people have to go running around telling everyone about their religion and how you need to join theirs...

Anyway, to OP, why the heck would you say anything unless you WERE planning on pulling out your handgun? One does not simply walk around talking about how they are now doing crossfit or converted to veganism either.

In seriousness, really why mention it? Excited sure. That sounds like a time to strike up a conversation and mention you just got your HGP. Not "HEY GUYS I AM CARRYING MY GLOCK BECAUSE I JUST GOT MY PERMIT ISN'T IT SO COOL! I BET YOU GUYS HAVE NEVER SEEN A GLOCK BEFORE! AND I BET YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL I AM CARRYING RIGHT NOW!"

I bought a new gun just the other day (still waiting to be not disapproved) and chatting with the lady at the LGS about stuff I did mention I am wondering if I'll get my permit in the mail first or my not disapproved since I FINALLY was able to get my HGP. So we chatted about that for a bit. If I did have it and was carrying, I might have struck up conversation about finally getting a permit, but there is no need for me to mention I am carrying.

Think of carrying a handgun like your schlong. There is no need to mention that you happen to have your schlong. Or what condition you are carrying it in. Or what it looks like. If it is circ'ed or not. Or offer to pull it out and show it to people. Save that for your spouse/GF or really close friends.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Did you read the part when I wrote “ I wanted to show him the holster to better explain what kind of holster I was looking for? I first wanted the thumbs up that it was ok to carry inside the store. I think that all my actions were relevant to very nature of my visit. I’m also a brown man so I’m being extra careful that no mistakes are made. I’m in a gun store with a gun I’m carrying in a holster I’m inquiring about just for a different weapon
    The way to approach it is to open it with saying that.

I am looking for a pretty specific holster. I am have a similar one to what I am looking for on me as I can concealed carry. Are you okay if I show you it?

But honestly if the specific intent of going into the store was to show them the holster, you should NOT have been carrying it. In public, you should not be unholstering a firearm, or even taking the holster off unless there is some kind of requirement by law (like going in to court and needing to check your gun). If you have the very specific intent of looking for a copy of that holster, you should have left your loaded firearm in your vehicle (ideally secured in a lockbox/center console safe) and proceeded in with holster in hand.

If I wanted to ask an FFL about one of my firearms, I either would walk in with it in a case, or more likely go in and ask them about it and permission to go retrieve it from my vehicle and bring it in to the store (unloaded, and for a semi, action open). No one wants a loaded firearm in their store unless they're the one carrying it. And I doubt "look like this one" while you pull your shirt up and point at it helps a lot without taking it off to show them. At which point you are taking out a loaded firearm, even if carefully.

rhull1971

Jul 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I visited a gun store in La Plata yesterday, I think the name of the store is Gun Monkey. Upon entering the front door I looked for any notifications about carrying a loaded firearm inside the store just to make sure I didn’t freak anybody out or violate any stores policy and I didn’t see any such notification so I entered the store and the store employee asked if he could help me and I told him I was looking for a holster for one of my other handguns I want to carry. He pointed me in the direction of the holsters he had and I then informed him that I was carrying my g26 in an IWB holster and I’m just exercising my new rights. I just received my HGP so I just wanted to inform him so that there’s no misunderstanding or mistakes in judgments occur. The guy replied “Just don’t pull it out unless I’m going to have to exercise my right”. I felt some kind of way about his response so I told him the there’s really no need for this kind of conversation and that I was informing him as a courtesy just in case I missed the sign or something.

Does anyone think this was appropriate or did I miss something?
    His store, his rules… you felt the need to inform him you were carrying and he was cool with that as long as you didn’t think you could pull it out just because you were in a gun store, so he, INFORMED YOU! Now honestly, you telling him you were armed while also saying that you were a new permit holder made him react the way he did and since it’s his establishment, he gets to make the rules. So in the future, if you don’t see a sign saying you can’t carry, and you know it’s not a prohibited place, just keep it to yourself. It’s really no one’s business that you’re exercising you constitutional rights but your own.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Exactly. Like walking in the locker room and looking at another dude and saying "just so you know I have a big c0ck in my gym shorts"
    Or whip out my d*ick and show you how much bigger my d*ck is then yours.

Like others in this post stated conceal means not allowing others to know you are carrying. This incident would not have occurred following that personal policy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom