Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Firearms Technology Branch
    244 Needy Road Suite 1600
    Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405
    E-mail address: fire_tech@atf.gov
    Voice: (304) 616-4300
    Fax number: (304) 616-4301

The caveat is, they're going to want a sample to review. I tried this with the PHP MV-9 and PHP MV-17 but wasn't able to secure copies as they weren't yet on the handgun roster here in MD. By the time I could have gotten them on there, they had dried up. They're ugly, ugly little suckers and not very good, but the FTB even said I had a good case when I explained the history and why they should get curiosity status. NRA Museum even offered to testify (in writing) on my behalf to lend credence. But it simply wasn't worth the time and effort to buy one, get it transferred to MD, hand it off to the FTB, go through the submission process, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now, you'd have a very hard time selling the West Germany theory as the actual name of the country was/is The Federal Republic of Germany. West Germany was just the name we applied to them to make it easy in conversation. Per the reunification agreement, the DDR was basically absorbed by the FRG (BRD in German) and the reunified FRG is not considered a successor state, but rather the same state as West Germany, just bigger now. That's why all the treaties pacts, etc. they were involved in didn't have to be re-signed.

Interesting bit of history, I guess that kills that approach.

It wouldn't be as useful now as it would have been when the big wave of P1's hit. They also seemed to have dried up.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Just got an e-mail from Classic that they have Mosin M44s that will be released for sale tomorrow at noon. I can't see what stupid price they are asking for these because their site is down. I'm guessing base price will be $300 plus some butt rape hand pick options available on top of that?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just got an e-mail from Classic that they have Mosin M44s that will be released for sale tomorrow at noon. I can't see what stupid price they are asking for these because their site is down. I'm guessing base price will be $300 plus some butt rape hand pick options available on top of that?

It just sucks that they seem to be the ones getting all the stuff from Samco

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They are selling them for $300 with a discount for badly cracked stock. The condition looks like poop.

Doesn't surprise me.

I think people are finally catching on to Classic's game. "Show the best, ship the rest" seems to be their motto.

A year ago, they'd have sold out of all their Finn Mosins by now, but they're still available even now. Same will go for the South American Mausers they have been pushing. I was actually surprised that the Vz52s they've got haven't sold out as of yet cracked stocks or no. Seems the market is slowing down for them.

On that note, I did a bit of research yesterday. The number of C&R holders has dropped by over 7,500 people in the past three years alone, and if the first four months of 2017 are any indication, the field is getting even smaller as we speak. Meanwhile, I'm seeing more and more C&R "specialty" stores online. Bull Moose Guns, Classic, Simpson LTD, Victory Arms, Collectors Arms, etc. etc. I half expect to see some market correction in the not too distant future.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The number of C&R holders has dropped by over 7,500 people in the past three years alone, and if the first four months of 2017 are any indication, the field is getting even smaller as we speak.

How did you determine this?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    How did you determine this?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/listing-federal-firearms-licensees-ffls-2014

Go to "FFL Type By State" and you can get the total numbers of all types of FFLs for each state.

Compare April 2014 vs April 2017 numbers and you get the differential.

If you're an 03FFL, your name is withheld from their published data, but you do count as a number. All other types of FFLs have their names, place of business, etc. published every month as they are conducting business. For example, my neighbor is on the complete list for December 2014 which is the next row down from the "FFL Type By State" list. His name, FFL number, address, etc. He's no longer a FFL, but the historical data shows that he was at some point.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    SOG has $10 off any gun and FREE SHIPPING through 5/26. Details on their website. That's a pretty good deal. They have some C&R handguns and long guns in stock and they have Bulgy Makarovs which are not C&R but are generally liked by the C&R crowd.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Doesn't surprise me.

I think people are finally catching on to Classic's game. "Show the best, ship the rest" seems to be their motto.

A year ago, they'd have sold out of all their Finn Mosins by now, but they're still available even now. Same will go for the South American Mausers they have been pushing. I was actually surprised that the Vz52s they've got haven't sold out as of yet cracked stocks or no. Seems the market is slowing down for them.

On that note, I did a bit of research yesterday. The number of C&R holders has dropped by over 7,500 people in the past three years alone, and if the first four months of 2017 are any indication, the field is getting even smaller as we speak. Meanwhile, I'm seeing more and more C&R "specialty" stores online. Bull Moose Guns, Classic, Simpson LTD, Victory Arms, Collectors Arms, etc. etc. I half expect to see some market correction in the not too distant future.

Good, I could use some lower C&R prices. :D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

If you check the C&R section it looks like Classic has been getting small Samco lots twice a week and are hyping them after arrival. Their "small lot, this is the last" batch of $300+ Argentine Mausers have been up all week, and the Moisins have been up for weeks.

Methinks the hype isn't working any more; the sucker market has been saturated by Classic. Maybe they'll return to realistic pricing now.

:lol2: <-- P.T. Barnum

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Classic may be getting the idea cause now they have $199 Yugo Toks

Anyone not familiar, expect it to be CAKED in cosmo
    Mine definitly had needed a full tear down and dissassembly then bath.
    But the blue was 99%

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

But the blue was 99%

I think SOG may be a little cheaper after shipping since they are offering $10 off and free ship. But yeah I am tempted to go in for another one.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think SOG may be a little cheaper after shipping since they are offering $10 off and free ship. But yeah I am tempted to go in for another one.

Same boat here. Need to save up for summer vacation though. Also, after shelling out for that Savage 1907 and picking up a Savage 720 I need to wait a bit so the wife doesn't start getting suspicious of the number of packages I'm receiving....

How do you guys like the Yuko Toks vs the Romanian ones? I've got the TTC myself.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

But the blue was 99%

Yup, he just sent out the email blast. Here's the link:
    http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001N4xO...IvP4n1F3C4UUy7q3D3r5xU_ACkDbQGYcBsTq4SJDvNQ==

They're under the Handguns link on the site, NOT the C&R, even though they are C&R.

Video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/9HBEHcfjhF0?modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0&autohide=1

Samco stuff, and there's a 300 on the crate so there could very well be a "very small lot" of 300 guns in the crate.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    How do you guys like the Yuko Toks vs the Romanian ones? I've got the TTC myself.
    Overall, I like the Polish Tok best. The Yugo Tok has almost as much attention to detail but the safety is just useless. The Romy is little more plain but the safety is more functional than the Yugo's. I don't have a Ruskie or Chinese given the price premiums.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    It looks like the $10 off at SOG is for dealers only. Is that true?

I'm looking for an SKS under $400 and if I could get the 10 bucks off, I'd snap up one from them.

WildBill

May 7, 2017
    It looks like the $10 off at SOG is for dealers only. Is that true?

I'm looking for an SKS under $400 and if I could get the 10 bucks off, I'd snap up one from them.
    I can't find where you would apply it during checkout, may only work over the phone. Then the question becomes, do FFL03s qualify?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Overall, I like the Polish Tok best. The Yugo Tok has almost as much attention to detail but the safety is just useless. The Romy is little more plain but the safety is more functional than the Yugo's. I don't have a Ruskie or Chinese given the price premiums.

I would say most people don't use the safety on their surplus Tokarevs for much. If you're just using it at the range, keep it unloaded until you're ready to fire. It also depends on what batch of Yugos you get.

I got a couple of them several years ago, the safety works easily on both and they look like they were original to the gun. My friend recently got one from SOG and it's crazy stiff, looks way worse, and the metal used is really cheap looking.

All these Tokarev safeties were added only for importation to the USA, so the quality of the job varies from batch to batch.

Some people just pull the safety out and plug the hole. All it does is block travel of the trigger IIRC

The Polish is definitely the most well made out of the Romanian, Yugo, and Polish. I like shooting the Yugo more though, because of
    the longer grip.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I wish none of mine had those cheesy add-on safeties and don't use them at all. I like the anti-glare grooves on the Yugo sighting surface and appreciate the extra round but have noticed no appreciable difference in accuracy among them with the same ammo. The differences are pretty minimal among mine and getting a nice example of whatever iteration you choose is probably more important but frankly, I'm pretty much a newbie to these C&R tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom