In Mother Russia you don't absorb recoil....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    ...recoil absorbs you!.

Heading to AGC with one of my M44's. Got delayed a bit because cosmoline magically appears even after you've cleaned it up previously.

I did remember to pack my PAST pad this time... :innocent0

unnamed.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I fired one of those carbines once. It was possibly the most punishing recoil I've ever experienced...worse than a SMLE Jungle Enfield and any magnum. Short barrel...poor stock ergonomics...full power cartridge...can't say it was unexpected.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Sorry for the delay in my range report. I had to get home and braise ham shanks for dinner tonight.

Got set up at the range. Range position 86. Thought I brought 40 rounds with me but I only had twenty. Good enough for an hour of plinking.

IMG_1210.jpeg

Sent 10 rounds down range methodically. Was a little displeased with the results. The front sight of the Mosin covers like 12 MOA at one hundred yards on the target. I was initally holding at center but remembering the K98 discussion, decided to six o’clock hold. So my first target below only registered 6 out of 10 rounds. Still disappointing.

IMG_1212.jpeg

But… the bayonet on the M44 was in the folded position. Kind of knowing that rumor had it, that if you unfolded the bayonet and locked it in the forward position… it would be more accurate. So look at the shot groups below (10 rounds):

IMG_1213.jpeg

Proof is in the shot groups. The M44 does not shoot accurately unless you extend and lock the bayonet Into the assault position.

Also was observing the primer strikes. I had disassembled the bolt previously and was unsure of aligning the cross mark when assembling. It seemed that the firing pin was too recessed in the rear handle when totally screwed in. I had to back it out one turn to make it flush and align it up.

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Proof is in the shot groups. The M44 does not shoot accurately unless you extend and lock the bayonet Into the assault position.
    I think you might just have been trying harder to focus since you decided to test the 'rumor'. You may have just dug deeper to your own skill than when you first began. Especially with only 20 rnds.

Maybe try taking off the bayonet. Can it come off on those easily or is it prevented by a pin or something only for a gunsmith type operation?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I fired one of those carbines once. It was possibly the most punishing recoil I've ever experienced...worse than a SMLE Jungle Enfield and any magnum. Short barrel...poor stock ergonomics...full power cartridge...can't say it was unexpected.

I have found a 16" 30-30 lever carbine with 170gr soft points to be worse.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    My ramge buddy had a mosin carbine 38/44? at AGC bench. It made my AR buffer spring go AAANNNNGGGG. Made me jump every time. Fireball was impressive. Crono around 2878 IIRC for a 174gr bullet.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I think you might just have been trying harder to focus since you decided to test the 'rumor'. You may have just dug deeper to your own skill than when you first began. Especially with only 20 rnds.

Maybe try taking off the bayonet. Can it come off on those easily or is it prevented by a pin or something only for a gunsmith type operation?

No, no. :nono: Oh no no. :nono: There is a difference with the tightness of the shot groups when the bayonet is extended and in the locked position. Something to do with the barrel harmonics when that bayonet is extended and locked onto the end of the muzzle with it's ring.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    No, no. :nono: Oh no no. :nono: There is a difference with the tightness of the shot groups when the bayonet is extended and in the locked position. Something to do with the barrel harmonics when that bayonet is extended and locked onto the end of the muzzle with it's ring.
    Come on, tell me what you really think. Don’t beat around the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom