In an emergency, how quickly can you have a loaded firearm in your hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How fast?

• 10 seconds or less

Votes: 140 42.7%
    • 30 seconds or less

Votes: 115 35.1%
    • 1 minute or less

Votes: 48 14.6%
    • 5 minutes or less

Votes: 10 3.0%
    • more than 5 minutes

Votes: 1 0.3%
    • I'm screwed.

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Currently 7 days and counting down. :tap:

That's beyond goofy, thats ....

cartoon-characters-7.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Realistically maybe a minute depending on where I am. If I was near the key, probably 30 seconds if I was lucky, out in the garage or something probably closer to 90 seconds.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Realistically maybe a minute depending on where I am. If I was near the key, probably 30 seconds if I was lucky, out in the garage or something probably closer to 90 seconds.

probably, maybe, realistically....

sounds like you didn't even try it. You said yourself it would only take maybe 90 seconds of your time.

What I learned doing this, several times now, is that there are a lot of little things I didn't initially think about, like seeing my way to find the gun (if dark), is the gun locked up/holstered, obstacles between me and the gun (which varies from time to time). Lot's of benefits to actually doing what I'm suggesting.

Please let us know how you did when you REALLY do it.

:)

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I think in the poll I said a minute or less, but that was quite some time ago. Usually the guns are under lock and key and even in an emergency a loaded mag needs to be inserted and racked.

With that said, I do carry at home if circumstances warrant it. Over the past few years that would be for a bit after a home invasion in a nearby neighborhood, as well as, during and after last year's stupidity in Baltimore City.

I also will carry at home once in a while for no other reason than "because I can".

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I can't wait to give this a try. It seems like something that I would like to make it a regular practice.
    Right now I would say that I am screwed.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    2 big dogs which give me a slight margin to respond. If I don't trip over them them in the process. :D

Like you, I am counting on Cate & Megan, border collie sisters, to raise hell and alert us...and they are free to roam inside. I sleep behind a locked door and will rely on a neat, zeroed 4" Colt King Cobra .357 to get the job DONE.

Lew--Ranger63

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    probably, maybe, realistically.... sounds like you didn't even try it. You said yourself it would only take maybe 90 seconds of your time. What I learned doing this, several times now, is that there are a lot of little things I didn't initially think about, like seeing my way to find the gun (if dark), is the gun locked up/holstered, obstacles between me and the gun (which varies from time to time). Lot's of benefits to actually doing what I'm suggesting. Please let us know how you did when you REALLY do it. :)

True. I do it every time I read this thread (if home). If I'm at work it's normally to my car or house.

Today I'm good. It's my day off and I've been carrying all day so as right now it's a simple draw and fire. At the range I am pretty consistent doing that in 1.5 seconds or less (with a round on target).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    True. I do it every time I read this thread (if home). If I'm at work it's normally to my car or house.

Today I'm good. It's my day off and I've been carrying all day so as right now it's a simple draw and fire. At the range I am pretty consistent doing that in 1.5 seconds or less (with a round on target).

You've got the spirit of this exercise brother. Good on you.

I've noticed I'm much more aware of where I am at home in relation to a firearm. I'm carrying at home a little more often, and have reassessed where I store my defensive firearm(s) at home.

Honestly this drill and discussion has done a lot for me too.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Well I just updated my home. I am now only a few seconds from a handgun in the 3 main places I am in my house. Combined with my carry permit and I am no more then 10 seconds away from a gun now in my life.

Thanks
    Robert

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    probably, maybe, realistically....

sounds like you didn't even try it. You said yourself it would only take maybe 90 seconds of your time.

What I learned doing this, several times now, is that there are a lot of little things I didn't initially think about, like seeing my way to find the gun (if dark), is the gun locked up/holstered, obstacles between me and the gun (which varies from time to time). Lot's of benefits to actually doing what I'm suggesting.

Please let us know how you did when you REALLY do it.

:)

Somewhat less than the times I mentioned. But in general I also assume it'll be less ideal than when I am trying it, like maybe it takes me a few seconds to realize I should go for it and have to jump over crap working my my garage to run for the key/my keys and run down, unlock the safe and throw the combo in to my ammo locker, grab my shotgun and chamber a round. About 30 seconds is the realistic best time with 90 seconds being my realistic worst case if I am still under my roof. Out in the yard you could add 1-3 minutes depending on where I am and what I am doing.

I generally don't own guns for home defense and with several young children I can't store ammo with guns, especially since I don't have a safe with a combo lock right now. I will not chance them getting the key and having access to a loadable gun. I don't own a pistol, so no little pistol combo safe in the bedroom.

I realize a bad guy could smash right through a window and be on top of me and mine in possibly 15-20 seconds, but odds are a little better it'll take them somewhat longer than that and odds are excellent that they'd at least meet me with a baseball bat, axe or 8" kitchen knife in my hands if I had less than enough time to make it to my locker.

As it is the only place I can store my guns is in my basement. Given a couple of years when I finally put my planned addition on my house I'll have a real safe in my bedroom closest, which at night would probably cut the time down to 15-20 seconds from dead asleep (I sleep really damn lightly). Sure a break-in could happen any time, but statistically most are when you aren't home and I happen to live in a pretty safe neighborhood. Odds are pretty tiny it would ever happen to my house let alone while I or my family were at home.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Somewhat less than the times I mentioned. But in general I also assume it'll be less ideal than when I am trying it, like maybe it takes me a few seconds to realize I should go for it and have to jump over crap working my my garage to run for the key/my keys and run down, unlock the safe and throw the combo in to my ammo locker, grab my shotgun and chamber a round. About 30 seconds is the realistic best time with 90 seconds being my realistic worst case if I am still under my roof. Out in the yard you could add 1-3 minutes depending on where I am and what I am doing.

I generally don't own guns for home defense and with several young children I can't store ammo with guns, especially since I don't have a safe with a combo lock right now. I will not chance them getting the key and having access to a loadable gun. I don't own a pistol, so no little pistol combo safe in the bedroom.

I realize a bad guy could smash right through a window and be on top of me and mine in possibly 15-20 seconds, but odds are a little better it'll take them somewhat longer than that and odds are excellent that they'd at least meet me with a baseball bat, axe or 8" kitchen knife in my hands if I had less than enough time to make it to my locker.

As it is the only place I can store my guns is in my basement. Given a couple of years when I finally put my planned addition on my house I'll have a real safe in my bedroom closest, which at night would probably cut the time down to 15-20 seconds from dead asleep (I sleep really damn lightly). Sure a break-in could happen any time, but statistically most are when you aren't home and I happen to live in a pretty safe neighborhood. Odds are pretty tiny it would ever happen to my house let alone while I or my family were at home.

Roger that.

Thanks for the verbose explanation, I welcome the opportunity to give you some general, friendly advice.

First, we both understand this it a public forum and not legal, security, construction, or otherwise professional advice of any kind. I strongly recommend you seek professional advice.

Second, you sound like a lot of us, with specific issues, and difficulties to secure yourself and your firearms (if you choose to own them; guns are not for everyone, in fact, I suggest most people today (especially in cities) probably don't need them, as police response is adequate for most of them).

Having said that, I applaud your intent to keep your guns secure, and there is no such thing as perfect security. Lock, double lock, hide and otherwise secure any firearm(s) you own. It is ultimately your responsibility to both protect your family from any violent criminals, and from willful/unintentional neglect.

It is totally understandable that some folks, who have found a critical need, and have sought sufficient training that they still need a firearm; to take them a minute or more to properly gain access to this firearm - if and when needed.

If you have sufficient home protection, then a minute might be enough time to make this happen, if this is your best option. Again, I strongly recommend training, and legal advice.

Most respectfully submitted. :)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I shall be practicing this next week when I pick up my new VP9 and HK45 compact. :D
    Hmm, with two sexy HKs, you might have a momentary pause deciding which to pick up after the proverbial bump in the night, thus adding to your time split. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's funny, I stopped by 2AS&S to say hi, and noticed they have an all too perfect VP9 available for sale.

I have to say that Greg from A1 was awesome to meet. The show was busy. I just can't believe that I pulled the trigger on 2 HKs. Pretty cool. Big deal for me.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have to say that Greg from A1 was awesome to meet. The show was busy. I just can't believe that I pulled the trigger on 2 HKs. Pretty cool. Big deal for me.

I hear you. HK is absolutely top tier, maybe the absolute best. CZ and a couple others that are not custom and sold mass market. Even Sig made a hick-up once; but I still keep Sig up there in that top tier, I may be a bit biased (see my SIGnature block :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom