• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Hi all,

I'm looking to reload some M2 ball. I've found the lead but having trouble finding powder in stock anywhere.

Is there a safe, quality substitute for IMR 4895 or 4064?

I'm only looking to reload 100 rounds, that's all the brass I have. If anyone has any IMR they'd be willing to share, I'll happily pay you.

Many thanks.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Reloder 15, 17, and 19. Signal Hill Supply in Manassas had them before they closed their location. I don’t know where their inventory is being stored.

Shooter’s World Match Rifle (same as AA2520) is supposed to be a very close substitute to IMR 4895, but a ball powder. Their Precision Rifle is supposed to be very close to Varget. Both are popular with European shooters in their original Lovex branding.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Accurate sells A-4064 but I’m sure there isn’t much around.
    Ken, match rifle and 2520 are not the same powder. They are similar burn rates but 2520 is made in USA and match rifle made in Czech Republic. One of my rifles preferred precision rifle over varget

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Hi all,

I'm looking to reload some M2 ball. I've found the lead but having trouble finding powder in stock anywhere.

I'm only looking to reload 100 rounds, that's all the brass I have. If anyone has any IMR they'd be willing to share, I'll happily pay you.

Many thanks.

I’d be willing to trade you a pound of 4895. What powders do you have ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    AA # 2460,2495, Big Game
    IMR #4955, 7977, 8133
    Alliant # 16,19

Are .30-06 class powders in stock right now @ J&E @ HoCo show , at close to pre panic prices . ( also had RL-15 , 17 earlier , but sold out). More faster and slower powders , but concentrated on .30-06 speed .

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Do yourself a favor, if your going to all the headaches to reload. Dont use crappy FMJ pills. Put a good bullet on top of the 45-50 grain charge of whatever medium burn rate powder you pick.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Do yourself a favor, if your going to all the headaches to reload. Dont use crappy FMJ pills. Put a good bullet on top of the 45-50 grain charge of whatever medium burn rate powder you pick.

exactly....
    use Sierra's and Berger's in the NM Garand

If you use 150' like mentioned above don't "cheap-out"

-Rock

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Reloder 15, 17, and 19. Signal Hill Supply in Manassas had them before they closed their location. I don’t know where their inventory is being stored.

Shooter’s World Match Rifle (same as AA2520) is supposed to be a very close substitute to IMR 4895, but a ball powder. Their Precision Rifle is supposed to be very close to Varget. Both are popular with European shooters in their original Lovex branding.

I've been using the Precision Rifle in 308 loads and it works well - goes bang every time and consistent patterns. I don't have a chrono, but I've been very pleased with how it performs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lot's of choices.

But keep looking for good bullets. 150 FMJ are not that accurate.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I question whether Reloader 17 & 19 are safe for an M1? Seems very slow to me.

I agree, to the extent that they are too slow for optimal op rod longevity. Properly loaded the m1 receiver is strong. I broke an op rod with m2 ball ammo. So it happens, but it was an uncut op rod so kinda no surprise.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rule of thumb is no faster than IMR 3031 and no slower than IMR 4064

REAL answer, get some loading manuals and look at published loads.

If you run any other loads, you run the risk of damaging your Op Rod. They may work, they may damage your rifle. Your choice.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    Hi all,

Many thanks.

if you ever make it back to our shop, I have some IMR 4064 to pass to you. I too use it for M1 garand reloads.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch

One of the often ignored powders would be N140 by Vitavouri. If you want to replicate the M2 for the Garand, N150 might be the better way to go (see Hornady reloading handbook)

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Another good one is Hodgdon Varget. It's highly versatile, able to power rounds from 22-250 all the way up to .375 H&H. Unfortunately because it can be used so broadly, finding it can be difficult, even without the current situation.

https://hodgdon.com/varget/#:~:text=Varget%20is%20an%20extruded%20propellant,of%20Extreme%20series%20of%20powders.&text=The%20powder%20ignites%20quickly%20and,heavy%20bullets%20in%20competitive%20matches.

On the CMP forum, here's one of the recipes posted:
    For 150 gr.:

47 gr. Varget,
    Hornady FMJBT,
    CCI-34.

Duplicates M2 Ball ballistics.

Of course you should work up your load to be safe, but this one comes in the middle of the range in the Hodgdon online that notes a Starting Load of 46 gr. and a Max Load of 49.5 gr.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom