• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I need suggestions. I currently use an m21-sf for fishing. I love the knife. Have no rust problems with it seeing I find myself wading through water on these spring, summer, fall fishing excursions I go on. When we walk through the water and I need the knife to either cut the line, the fish, or any of the other things I use it for. I think I would be better off with a fixed blade with a kydex sheath. When I fall or stumble and end up going under, I have misplaced my folder a few times but managed to find it. I'm thinking a Kabar (smaller than the full size). Just wondering what you guys use. BTW I realize my kind of fishing may be a little different than what you guys may do. It works and it's fun. Plus it gets my heart rate up and is good way to spend the day walking 3 miles upstream against the current. Lol

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I should also say I love crkt. They make decent knives I also use for work but they are a pain to sharpen right. I would like a straight blade. No serrations that holds a good edge and is easier to sharpen

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I don't mind the cash but the overall length on the blade is a foot. I can't really many very with that. I'm thing somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8" overall length.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Think about a small diving knife instead. They are usually available in blunt, pointed and serrated models with blades all the way down to as small as 3" with handles and sheaths that are salt water resistant. You can get decent ones in the $50-$120 range depending on blade length or material (stainless or titanium alloy). And unlike a regular knife the sheaths are designed to hold the knife much more secure than a land knife.
    Here is an example:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?subscribe=Y&ProductCode=30852&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwuSkBRC7qKq8rr7796sBEiQA5VnSuJOx8a4JKSO5VlCnQ0fqyFh5aVRVnQRv9TQ49NMEAZAaAr7P8P8HAQ
    I used one for fishing for years.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Makes sense. Try this one if you can find one in person:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=43

I really like Spyderco's VG10 and I think this knife just balances beautifully.
    I have noticed you love the spyderco products. I've only heard good things about then. I'll check it out. Actually I just looked at the link. Looks about what I'm looking for. Maybe a longer blade but I'm on the right track. I'm trying to stay away from dive knives. Mostly due to the fact they are normally serrated

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/15009

I love hook cutters anytime I'm going to be handling small rope, twine, or zipping bellies open. This one is in a good corrosion resistant steel with a nice high ground and strong drop point. Scales are basically FRN, and orange is available. The blade length IMO is great for control and most tasks, if you need more blade for bigger stuff, would be better to pair it with a fillet knife or small hatchet instead of carrying a larger 6" or so utility knife.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Cant go wrong with a Mora knife

Yep. Stainless Mora is what I keep around the boat and in my tackle boxes. Takes saltwater well if hosed off after you come back and they come with a sturdy plastic sheath. Plus they aren't super expensive so if you ruin it you just buy another.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Spyderco Aqua Salt, or any of their H-1 steel knives.
    Benchmade makes a Griptillian (and other knives) in H-2 steel.

Both of those companies make their salt water knives with brightly colored handles, so you can find them easily if dropped.

Don't buy a carbon steel knife, it will get messed up.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Been using the SOG Field Pup for a while now and it is fantastic. Stainless steel blade. The Kraton handle keeps the knife in the grip even with wet hands. The jimping on the spine is perfectly done, and there's already a small choil to simplify sharpening.

It's inexpensive. A lot of knife for not a lot of money.

Some folks gripe the SS blade is soft, but this is a field knife and you want a multi-use blade that (1) won't chip and (2) is easy to sharpen.

http://www.sogknives.com/field-pup-ii-satin-straight.html

The only drawback (for me) is the compound-curve cutting edge. Makes sharpening a hassle unless you use a rod hone.

I'm not a fan of compound curves and serrations. Simple fix: I ground off some of the belly to make the cutting edge straight, then re-established the bevel on a bench stone and honed it to razor sharpness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom