• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    exactly, before the whole FS-2013 i had students who owned guns and WANTED to know how to use them. now they have to know how, when, where and how did this become different?

The difference is that several dozen empty suits in Annapolis said that we need whatever training to exercise a right. That's garbage and most of us here see it for what it is. Their edict on the matter might make something law, but it doesn't make it right.

The right is inherent to humanity. It exists regardless of all other factors: income, race, religion, sexual orientation, employment, etc., etc.
    Knowledge of firearms isn't a requisite to exercise RKBA. Period.

Accepting the "need" for a training threshold is merely giving away yet another slice of our gun rights cake, and we're already down to crumbs here.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Agreed!

Many of us were lucky enough to grow up in families where we were taught respect for, and safe use of firearms. Others might have been in the scouts or summer camps where firearms were included. Many of us also choose to further our education and training to higher levels as we get older. Society is changing, and what used to be the norm is often now the exception. Heck, we had a rifle team in my high school in Arlington VA, and we routinely carried our rifles slung over our shoulders and walked to school, storing our rifles in hall lockers, until we convened after school under the cafeteria to practice. Nobody gave it a second thought, and nobody ever once misbehaved or abused the system. Sure can't imagine that happening today.

Like you, I am an NRA and MSP certified instructor, and I agree that proper training is beneficial. But making it mandatory (if that is what you might be suggesting) is probably where we part ways.

Activities like driving a car or motorcycle require certification to exercise that privilege, but firearms ownership and use is a right that is enumerated in the Bill of Rights. As such, it cannot be constitutionally limited or infringed upon.

Do I wish more folks were trained? Sure. Do I teach folks for free? Of course. Most of us do, in one form or another. But establishing a requirement for training opens a door to the slippery slope of regulation. And just having training doesn't mean that a person will exercise good judgement.

a-g-r-e-e-d. but things have changed since the "old days". people are no where near as responsible or guilt ridden as of those "days."

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    a-g-r-e-e-d. but things have changed since the "old days". people are no where near as responsible or guilt ridden as of those "days."

So, in general, people today can't really be trusted? The Government needs to intervene, for their own good?
    You are really starting to concern me.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Attachments

• 2018-01-17_20.25.13.jpg
      2018-01-17_20.25.13.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 240

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    woodstock said:

That there my friend is the real source of the problem. No amount of mandatory anything will solve this. Drivers ed is mandatory, but it is generally ineffective at changing people’s dangerous behavior.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    You aren't going to 'required training' that back into the world.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    So, in general, people today can't really be trusted? The Government needs to intervene, for their own good?
    You are really starting to concern me.

[sigh] how do we legislate stupidity, ignorance and negligence? looking for options here?

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    [sigh] how do we legislate stupidity, ignorance and negligence? looking for options here?
    Let more people carry guns...

That's the old liberal argument...'we HAVE to do SOMETHING!'...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom