• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Good luck Jim. If I can help...you know...shoot the deer and drag it back to your house, I will be happy to do that for you. Then you could shoot it again! Seriously, I wish you a speedy recovery.

bonehead

Jul 2, 2012
    My experience

Have not been able to hunt for 5 years due to knee pain had my right total knee replacement in June and going for my left the 3rd week of October. Next season is going to be mine !

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The wife and I have this standing argument about the deer. We moved in a little more than 2 years ago. She got to enjoy them the first fall and I let her have them again last fall, but I told her, they are mine this year. So, I don't know (in my wife's mind) what our agreement will be for next year. If that giant 8 pointer continues to grow like he has over the last 2 years, he's going to be spectacular next year.

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

Work out some type of agreement where she will wheel you out to a ground blind or where you are allowed to buy an electric wheelchair to get yourself out to the blind.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Good luck Jim. If I can help...you know...shoot the deer and drag it back to your house, I will be happy to do that for you. Then you could shoot it again! Seriously, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Matthew is in Atlanta getting ready to race Thursday and Friday. His team won the MX5 Cup this year. He's very excited, and so am I.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm hoping the 3 big deer will be gigantic next year.
    Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Best of luck to you. I've been putting off knee surgery for a while... hope to make it a while longer. Feel better. You'll get 'em next year!

I've put this off as long as I could. My boss was going to disqualify me if I didn't get it done. I was walking around like Festus on Gunsmoke. I have to lock out my knee, just to walk. I'm not looking forward to the rehab, but I know I'll eventually get better and my quality of life will be much better.

Thanks Again to All.
    Jim Smith

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Have not been able to hunt for 5 years due to knee pain had my right total knee replacement in June and going for my left the 3rd week of October. Next season is going to be mine !

How bad was the rehab? I've heard some say it wasn't too much and others saying it was the pretty tough. I've had open heart surgery, so I know what pain feel like. Just wondering?

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks. Matthew is in Atlanta getting ready to race Thursday and Friday. His team won the MX5 Cup this year. He's very excited, and so am I.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm hoping the 3 big deer will be gigantic next year.
    Jim Smith

That is great, I think,... based on your latest dilemma. So he does work for Ara's team! Ara is a good guy. If you know any of those guys, Dean Copeland is a guy I raced with that is turning in some good results. He lives down here near me now.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That is great, I think,... based on your latest dilemma. So he does work for Ara's team! Ara is a good guy. If you know any of those guys, Dean Copeland is a guy I raced with that is turning in some good results. He lives down here near me now.

Yes, he just spent last week in Texas prepping 5 cars for this race. I don't think Ara has any full time employees, but if he does, my son isn't one of them. My son turned into a diesel mechanic last week when the generator wouldn't start and they couldn't load cars into the truck without it. He got the generator running and the cars were loaded just a day later.

I think he's coming home to help take care of me while my wife goes back to work. Maybe closer to Christmas, we can get together.

Jim Smith

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Yes, he just spent last week in Texas prepping 5 cars for this race. I don't think Ara has any full time employees, but if he does, my son isn't one of them. My son turned into a diesel mechanic last week when the generator wouldn't start and they couldn't load cars into the truck without it. He got the generator running and the cars were loaded just a day later.

I think he's coming home to help take care of me while my wife goes back to work. Maybe closer to Christmas, we can get together.

Jim Smith

:thumbsup: Good boy. I will be watching the Atlanta race.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Good luck with your surgery and be sure to take your pain meds as directed before your PT sessions. Very important.
    Next year they may be 12 pointers!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Very important.

I had my right knee done several years ago. I was reluctant to take some of the pain meds during PT for fear I'd get hooked on them. WRONG!!

Take the pain meds prescribed for you and good luck with your surgery.
    You'll make out fine. :)

BTW, bike riding is good for the knees both pre-op and most certainly post-op. It's not a load bearing activity. ( except for your A$$ )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I may be sitting on the porch next to you. Saw my orthopedist yesterday and he confirmed my fears. Severely torn rotator cuff.:sad20: Wants to operate asap but I still have a couple big jobs to get done fist. I can still draw my bow, though the dwell time is not very long, and I don't want to miss the rut. So, I have a little time left to my season but, late muzzle loader is gonna be a no-go. There's always next year.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I may be sitting on the porch next to you. Saw my orthopedist yesterday and he confirmed my fears. Severely torn rotator cuff.:sad20: Wants to operate asap but I still have a couple big jobs to get done fist. I can still draw my bow, though the dwell time is not very long, and I don't want to miss the rut. So, I have a little time left to my season but, late muzzle loader is gonna be a no-go. There's always next year.

What about shooting with the other shoulder? A few days of practice may get you shooting well enough to hunt.

Just a thought.
    Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What about shooting with the other shoulder? A few days of practice may get you shooting well enough to hunt.

Just a thought.
    Jim Smith

With the gun, yes. Bow, no. And that's if the wifey lets me out.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Mr Smith, good luck with the knee. I had my left done 2 yrs ago. Only problem I have is it gets stiff now and then. I need my right done soon. You won't be laid up too long. They get you up and around right away. I wanted to push myself thru a fast recovery and ask my doc if I could do anything to hurt my new knee.

He said you couldn't hurt it, that the pain will tell you when to ease up. I never even needed pain meds. I did drink a few beers at night to help me sleep.

You ask about therapy, I liked it. The girl was really good at what she did and made it as enjoyable as possible. My co-pay was $35 a pop. Started 3 times a week, and I talked her into 2 a week because of the money. My therapy was about 2 months.

You'll be back in the wood quicker than you think.

Good luck to you Sir, and get home soon.:)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Mr Smith, good luck with the knee. I had my left done 2 yrs ago. Only problem I have is it gets stiff now and then. I need my right done soon. You won't be laid up too long. They get you up and around right away. I wanted to push myself thru a fast recovery and ask my doc if I could do anything to hurt my new knee.

He said you couldn't hurt it, that the pain will tell you when to ease up. I never even needed pain meds. I did drink a few beers at night to help me sleep.

You ask about therapy, I liked it. The girl was really good at what she did and made it as enjoyable as possible. My co-pay was $35 a pop. Started 3 times a week, and I talked her into 2 a week because of the money. My therapy was about 2 months.

You'll be back in the wood quicker than you think.

Good luck to you Sir, and get home soon.:)

Thank you. I appreciate the information from someone who's gone through this type of operation. My only drawback is the fact that I'm a diabetic too. So, at times, I can be slow to heal.

Thanks Again!
    Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Will you be able to hunt the late seasons or will this injury have you sidelined until Spring time?

Jim Smith

Thanks, JH! I'll get out somehow. Probably focus on getting some folks their first deer. My nephew, my daughter, and a fellow MDS noob who asked for help getting started deer hunting. Lots of things to keep me hopping.;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks, JH! I'll get out somehow. Probably focus on getting some folks their first deer. My nephew, my daughter, and a fellow MDS noob who asked for help getting started deer hunting. Lots of things to keep me hopping.;)

Me too. I've got a half dozen lowers, I may just have to work on and make me another half dozen pistols. Then I thought I'd get the oils out and do some painting. I haven't done that in a few years. Bob Ross is my hero...:party29:

Jim Smith

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Me too. I've got a half dozen lowers, I may just have to work on and make me another half dozen pistols. Then I thought I'd get the oils out and do some painting. I haven't done that in a few years. Bob Ross is my hero...:party29:

Jim Smith

Can't wait to see that 300 pistol. Thinking about a 300 SBR myself....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom