I'm all ears! Give me your best recommendation for CCW handgun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County

Attachments

• IMG_4564.jpg
      IMG_4564.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 145

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I carry a Sig P-228 9mm with two extra magazines. It's a mid size weapon that works. I bet my life on it, which I do. Chris

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I carry a Sig P-228 9mm with two extra magazines. It's a mid size weapon that works. I bet my life on it, which I do. Chris

Confidence in what you carry is extremely important. My final post-grad project was on Albert Bandura's theory on perceived self efficacy. In plain terms, if you are confident in your ability to perform a task, you will project that confidence to others. In the case of self defense, you will project that you're not a good person to mess with. There are decades of research behind this.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    in my opinion- carrying anything besides a glock solves for a problem other than "what accurate reliable self defense gun should i carry".

there are tons of cool guns with awesome features and aesthetics but at the end of the day you can learn to shoot a glock like a robot and will never have to worry about any of the BS that comes with "cool" guns.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Confidence in what you carry is extremely important. My final post-grad project was on Albert Bandura's theory on perceived self efficacy. In plain terms, if you are confident in your ability to perform a task, you will project that confidence to others. In the case of self defense, you will project that you're not a good person to mess with. There are decades of research behind this.

Thx!

Dang book lernin', :D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not only do you have to think about the handgun, but one must look at the mags. When I got my NH permit, I carried a Glock 19. I thought that would be my one and only CCW handgun. Well, I looked at the Glock 26 and fell in love with everything except for the short grip. Fixed that with a finger extension and that's now my carry piece when I'm visiting in PA. I figured my 11 rounds with 1 mag backup is enough for most situations. For anything more, I'm thinking I'm outgunned and would only be delaying my death. Some of these smaller handguns have a small mag capacity. 6 rounds of .380 isn't my idea of a fair fight. Carrying can be a life and death situation (one that I hope and pray I'm never in) and as such, you must be prepared to get yourself out of that situation alive.

Something is better than nothing, but I'm wanting to come to a fair conclusion. 11 rounds of 9mm should get me to cover. After that, I'm using the next 10 for defensive purposes. I'm not going out to find any more trouble.

I worry about the small .380 pistols. Even with carrying an extra mag, you're talking about 12 rounds of what can be ineffective rounds. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to take one out of any weapon, but for me, I want something that's balanced. Something that can be concealed easily, has enough power to get me out of trouble and most of all, something I have practiced with thousands of times and that I am confident in using.

YMMV

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Not only do you have to think about the handgun, but one must look at the mags. When I got my NH permit, I carried a Glock 19. I thought that would be my one and only CCW handgun. Well, I looked at the Glock 26 and fell in love with everything except for the short grip. Fixed that with a finger extension and that's now my carry piece when I'm visiting in PA. I figured my 11 rounds with 1 mag backup is enough for most situations. For anything more, I'm thinking I'm outgunned and would only be delaying my death. Some of these smaller handguns have a small mag capacity. 6 rounds of .380 isn't my idea of a fair fight. Carrying can be a life and death situation (one that I hope and pray I'm never in) and as such, you must be prepared to get yourself out of that situation alive.

Something is better than nothing, but I'm wanting to come to a fair conclusion. 11 rounds of 9mm should get me to cover. After that, I'm using the next 10 for defensive purposes. I'm not going out to find any more trouble.

I worry about the small .380 pistols. Even with carrying an extra mag, you're talking about 12 rounds of what can be ineffective rounds. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to take one out of any weapon, but for me, I want something that's balanced. Something that can be concealed easily, has enough power to get me out of trouble and most of all, something I have practiced with thousands of times and that I am confident in using.

YMMV

I understand the concern over 380. That's why I posted the iraqveteran8888 video of shooting G2 RIP in 380 from a Glock 42. After two Turkey legs and four layers of denim, it still did a number on the FBI ballistic gel. I carry a 380 and I'm very confident in its ability to get the job done.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I understand the concern over 380. That's why I posted the iraqveteran8888 video of shooting G2 RIP in 380 from a Glock 42. After two Turkey legs and four layers of denim, it still did a number on the FBI ballistic gel. I carry a 380 and I'm very confident in its ability to get the job done.

You better. Because your life could depend on it. Literally!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Carry only rifle calibered handguns.

Always have a smile on your face and wink, when you are asked if you are happy to see that person.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Wtf. No way dude could've actually walked around with all that hardware, especially the shotty:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom