• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Specifically flash hiders are an evil feature. Muzzle brakes are not capable of hurting nuns and school children.
    As a note, silencers are also considered flash suppressors under the law. So be mind full of that if you have cans and anything with a folding stock.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The interpretation from MSP is that if it reduces the flash, it is a flash suppressor. So some muzzle brakes could be. But how to tell for them to measure??????

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    As a note, silencers are also considered flash suppressors under the law. So be mind full of that if you have cans and anything with a folding stock.
    UGH - this I did not know. I hate MD.

But if it is 29" and able to be SBR'd... by adding the folding stock connector to get to the 29" -- does that even matter anymore? I thought once SBR'd, its not technically a 'rifle' anymore... so If I have a compensator (not flash hider... though thinking maybe that doesnt even matter) -- adding a can on it, would be OK??? no??

-- Just found another thread in here that .. if true, suggests im OK. FM... you need a special degree in this state to own a gun legally. (https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/sound-suppressor-considered-a-flash-suppressor-per-md-law.170811/)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As far as I know, so long as its still SBR'd, you are okay. But if you register it as an SBR, and slap a 16" barrel on it, copy cat rules are going to apply most likely. You can temporarily convert an SBR back in to rifle configuration with the appropriate barrel. For instance if I had a 14" barreled AR-15 and I wanted to take it to PA without notifying the ATF. Well, if I stick a 16.1" upper on it, I am good to go and I can legally take it out of state without telling the ATF. So long as I don't then convert it back in to an SBR while I am out of state.

Or I could convert it to a pistol by removing the stock.

Laws are stupid.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

But if it is 29" and able to be SBR'd... by adding the folding stock connector to get to the 29" -- does that even matter anymore? I thought once SBR'd, its not technically a 'rifle' anymore... so If I have a compensator (not flash hider... though thinking maybe that doesnt even matter) -- adding a can on it, would be OK??? no??

-- Just found another thread in here that .. if true, suggests im OK. FM... you need a special degree in this state to own a gun legally. (https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/sound-suppressor-considered-a-flash-suppressor-per-md-law.170811/)

The definitions change depending on what subtitle of the MD code you are evaluating. Sometimes an SBR is a handgun such as in Public Safety Section 5-101(n)(1) (Regulated firearms) where a "Handgun" means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

The 29" OAL is part of the definition of a "Copycat weapon" in Criminal Law Section 4-301
    (h)(1) “Copycat weapon” means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;
    (ii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;
    (iii) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 29 inches;
    (iv) a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;
    (v) a semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock; or
    (vi) a shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    (2) “Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

This subtitle does not define "handgun" or "rifle", so MSP has taken the position that SBR's are rifles for the purposes of the "Copycat weapon" definition. If your SBR meets this definition then you cannot build it or even possess it in MD (subject to certain exceptions). Note: If your SBR is a rimfire rifle, it cannot meet the "Copycat weapon" definition so there are no OAL length restrictions on rimfire SBRs

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If this is a 'LAW' type folding stock, you should be fine. Those are not meant to be, nor can they be continuously fired from a folded position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom