• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Well shoot. I don't shoot it for 23 years, and they go sissyfing it on me.

Hey, I'm like you - a scope on a handgun? You're kidding, right?

When I first started doing IHMSA, there were only a few divisions: Unlimited, Big Bore Revolver, and .22 Unlimited and Revolver. Now, it looks like almost anything goes with a few notable exceptions.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I do not know if Berwyn currently has IHMSA shooters, or how it might work there, but it should be discussed.

I'm not aware of any IHMSA sanctioned matches that are being hosted in MD but it's long overdue. Bring it up at your next meeting at Berwyn. I'll be glad to do anything I can to facilitate it!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Berwyn, St Charles , and Stoney Creek used to host IHSMA matches. AGC physically has the capability of hosting IHSMA, and I thought I heard there was a silhouette oriented Club, but unknown how active they are.

Back when I was, BRGC used to host the State Championships. But IHMSA requires 200yd facility, and you know the rest of that sentence.

Back in my day IHMSA classes were :

Production
    Revolver
    Standing ( any otherwise legal gun)
    Unlimited ( still limits, but more & bigger than Production)

Lower class guns could also shoot in higher classes. Ie Revolver could shoot in Production, Revolver and Production could shoot in Unlimited . And at least back then , a good shooter could be reasonably competetive in the higher classes .

A virgin shooter would be placed in Master Class. Their first score would determine their Classification start for the subsequent Match. Get a certian number of scores over your class, and automatically bumped up. Have an extended slump, you would have to petition to drop to lower class.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Let me know? Field Pistol is something you would enjoy - a new category that IHMSA has added since I was a member the first time around. It allows for the use of semi-auto service pistols and the target distances are scaled-down for them.

I'll definitely be bringing my CZ's and Steyr L9A1 for that!
    :D

This makes it easy to check out and feel a bit like Hickok45 going long distance at the same time!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rodent

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks all and welcome to the forum Mike!

I like trying new shooting sports, might give this a try sometime later this year, thanks!

You are welcome to come on down anytime and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

Mike

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I use to shoot IHMSA back in the mid nineties .. and miss the hell out of it ..

So did I! I started in 1981 and by 1986, I was consistently shooting well. My best score ever was a 31 (out if 40) with my 8 3/8" S&W Model 57. I earned two '10' pins that day - for chickens and pigs. I felt like I had just won two Olympic gold medals.

When I saw that Piedmont Sportsman Club was currently hosting IHMSA matches several times per month and there was a new division allowing semi-auto pistols, I couldn't renew my IHMSA membership fast enough. I'm looking forward to getting my membership card and first copy of The Silhouette (IHMSA newspaper).

This makes it easy to check out and feel a bit like Hickok45 going long distance at the same time!

The first time you hear that clang of steel, you'll be hooked - I guarantee it. You'll never want to shoot paper targets again. :D

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Would the new .45 Colt/.45ACP Ruger Redhawk be OK for this?

:thumbsup: Should be good to go! I think .45 LC would be adequate with some fairly warm loads but you may want to consider a .454 Casull for that extra oomph at long range.

IHMSA now also accepts Paypal for the $35 membership fee. I did it yesterday and it took less than a minute.

Rodent

Jan 17, 2017
    Would the new .45 Colt/.45ACP Ruger Redhawk be OK for this?

For Field Pistol (out to 100 meters), would work just fine. May be a tad light for Big Bore targets (out to 200 meters).

Mike

We may also consider combining the two weekends into just one, and offer Big Bore,Small Bore, and Field Pistol in the same day.

April 9th will be here before ya know it.

Mike

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    :thumbsup: Should be good to go! I think .45 LC would be adequate with some fairly warm loads but you may want to consider a .454 Casull for that extra oomph at long range.

IHMSA now also accepts Paypal for the $35 membership fee. I did it yesterday and it took less than a minute.

For Field Pistol (out to 100 meters), would work just fine. May be a tad light for Big Bore targets (out to 200 meters).

Mike

We may also consider combining the two weekends into just one, and offer Big Bore,Small Bore, and Field Pistol in the same day.

Mike

A longer sight radius would be beneficial.

Thanks for the input! I'm in the market for a .45ACP only S&W but was also considering the Ruger. Sounds like I should keep on course and choose something else for IHMSA.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Mike

Mike

Great idea, Mike! I'd like to do big bore revolver and field pistol the same day and I know a few other folks would too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom