• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Always a story with me. This one starts at a Montgomery County Silverado gun show back in the mid 90s. I employed a brilliant young engineer named Pete in my lab who was fascinated over the fact that IBM built M1 Carbines and was determined to buy one. At that time Paul White was a fixture at MD gunshows in the DC metro area and also ran ads in Shotgun News. He specialized in M1 Carbines. So we made a bee line to his table upon entering the hall. Paul didn't have an IBM in his rack but told us to wait while he pulled out a barreled action and proceeded to assemble an M1 while we watched.
    -Over time I kept telling Pete that I wanted first right of refusal if he ever decided to let the IBM go. Fast forward 30 years later, Pete, who earned a law degree in night school, is now working as a patent lawyer. He calls me and asks what I think the M1 is worth. After looking up recent closed sales on GB he gives me a proposal: buy him a 3D printer and he'll swap that for the M1. I leapt at the deal and now have a nice M1 along with 4 magazines and 100 rounds of ammo.
    -The receiver on this example was built by Auto Ordnance, denoted by the "AO" stamp on the rear of the receiver. The SN puts production in Feb '43. As is often seen in M1 Carbines this one was reworked at some point after the war. Which explains how the original flip rear sight was replaced by an adjustable type 3 stamped base sight.

Attachments

• IMGP0248.JPG
      IMGP0248.JPG
      261.6 KB · Views: 75
    • IMGP0249.JPG
      IMGP0249.JPG
      237.6 KB · Views: 71
    • IMGP0250.JPG
      IMGP0250.JPG
      189.3 KB · Views: 69
    • IMGP0251.JPG
      IMGP0251.JPG
      147.1 KB · Views: 69
    • IMGP0252.JPG
      IMGP0252.JPG
      199 KB · Views: 68
    • IMGP0253.JPG
      IMGP0253.JPG
      187.5 KB · Views: 70
    • IMGP0254.JPG
      IMGP0254.JPG
      110.6 KB · Views: 78
    • IMGP0255.JPG
      IMGP0255.JPG
      353.4 KB · Views: 76
    • IMGP0257.JPG
      IMGP0257.JPG
      195.2 KB · Views: 78

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Is Paul White still around? He was the go to guy for anything M1 Carbine.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I was looking at the CMP website today, under rifle sales, M1 Carbines, there's a nice little write up about them as well as other information and online manuals that's concise and I assume accurate.
    That's a nice story mawkie. I have a similar story. My cousin had a Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum that he let me shoot when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. I always wanted it being it was the first handgun I ever shot. He sold it out from under me to a guy in town. Later in life we became friends, this guy in town. My friend passed away last spring. I went to his funeral in Johnstown PA. Long story short, his brother had the revolver and wanted to sell it. My buddy gave my cousin $75 for it, a 3 screw. The brother thought it was worth $1000, I offered $500. They divvied up the rest of his collection and the Ruger and only a few other guns were left.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Very nice! I have a factory original IBM but I've never shot it. I do shoot my reworked NPM and the little guy is a tack driver. Do you plan on shooting yours?

IBM. Note the stained beech stock exclusive to these:

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    My dad had an old military-issue one that I hunted with a few times in my teenage years. It was so worn and used that every so often it would burp out 2 or 3 rounds with one pull of the trigger!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    That is very nice.
    They are one of my favorite rifles.
    I still keep my eye out for an original configuration one - flip sights, Type 1 barrel band and high wood.

Top down:

1943 Inland + Bavarian Rural Police

1943 Winchester - Been thru the full Fulton Armory treatment

2022 AO copy - FWIW, it's just as accurate and reliable as the real USGI ones providing you throw away the AO magazine and use USGI mags.

M1 Carbines_All_Three_10Mar23.jpeg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have a nice Underwood that's closer to factory issue that came from the collection of a hard core M1 carbine collector and a Universal that I bought when in college. The Universal is a nice shooter. I think I might shoot the IBM.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Great pics. Wish mine looked that good.

When I got my first one I called my father to tell him. He laughed and said they were for officer *******, get a garand. He was a rifle instructor in the Marine's towards the end of WWII.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a nice Quality Hardware M1 with a Rock-Ola barrel. It was my dad's...he purchased it through the NRA during the '60s. I have the invoice for it...he paid a princely $17.50 + $2.50 shipping for it.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Very nice. I do believe I'm jealous. :innocent0 The M1 Carbine was my pal during the Baltimore City Riots in '68. I felt very secure with the "ONE" round of ammo they gave us which had to be kept in a pocket.
    :facepalm:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a nice Quality Hardware M1 with a Rock-Ola barrel. It was my dad's...he purchased it through the NRA during the '60s. I have the invoice for it...he paid a princely $17.50 + $2.50 shipping for it.
    My father was on a list to get his when Kennedy was killed and whomever was selling them suspended sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom