If you legally have an SBR in MD, can you regularly take it to a range in WV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You need to fill out a form with the ATF (don't remember the number) and tell them specifically where. As for the dates you can say from Jan 1st to Dec 31, so that you may travel anytime during that year. Others will chime I. With more specifics, but don't get caught with an SBR in another state without that form or it could be your ass.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    In Texas or Wyoming, this wouldn't be much of an issue. But in the Northeast where the states are two hours across via the interstate (or less), it's purely asinine.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Download the 5320.20 and put it in for a year at a time. Only costs you a stamp and they (ATF) were turning them in about 2 weeks.

Not even, I have faxed in my 5320.20 forms and never had issues. If you request it, they might even e-mail you the approved form as well as mail it to you. Dana Pickles did that for me a few times.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    So the Form 5320.20 has space for the "transporting to" address. Does that always have to be a specific location? For example, if I want to visit the NRA range, and then head out to Silver Eagle or something, would I have to fill out a 5320.20 for each location?

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    So the Form 5320.20 has space for the "transporting to" address. Does that always have to be a specific location? For example, if I want to visit the NRA range, and then head out to Silver Eagle or something, would I have to fill out a 5320.20 for each location?

Good question. Does anyone know?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

Good question. Does anyone know?

5320.20 allows you (generally, from what I understand) to transport everywhere within the state you are traveling to, as listed in the destination line.

I just got one returned to me for travel from VA to MD and I included service, competitive shooting, target shooting and all other lawful purposes in the section that you list reasons for transport and it was approved.

You can always consult the giant ATF book of laws to know for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

j1rubin

Feb 7, 2013

does the NRA range or Silver Eagle allow NFA items?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    NRA does. Not MG but SBR,SBS and AOW.

Technically I think you can bring a MG but must shoot it on semi.

I have taken my SBR and can there numerous times. NRA is my favorite range. Small but I've never felt safer or shot at a facility maintained so well and with modern equipment.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    5320.20 allows you (generally, from what I understand) to transport everywhere within the state you are traveling to, as listed in the destination line.

I just got one returned to me for travel from VA to MD and I included service, competitive shooting, target shooting and all other lawful purposes in the section that you list reasons for transport and it was approved.

You can always consult the giant ATF book of laws to know for sure.

Thank you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Technically I think you can bring a MG but must shoot it on semi.

I have taken my SBR and can there numerous times. NRA is my favorite range. Small but I've never felt safer or shot at a facility maintained so well and with modern equipment.

Then what the hell is the point??

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Then what the hell is the point??

Lol. It's a nice range. I've seen people shoot the ceiling, floor, walls, and target carriers on semi-auto. Probably limiting liability and damage potential.

Full auto is fun, as long as you're not paying for the gun or the ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom