If you could only have one revolver, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    What's stopping you?

College. Also I wouldn't buy a modern revolver right now because of the HQL. I do have a C&R now though so there are a ton of options. Right now I am thinking that I will start looking for a nice C&R Ruger Blackhawk in .357 once I graduate. There are some really nice ones that can be had for around $400 dollars and are C&R. Hopefully I can find one like this once I'm ready. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147887&highlight=hql+blackhawk

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I don't know, some calibers are just associated with autoloaders. There are many great .22LR semis and a revolver may not really be a choice (if you could choose only one revolver, why use it on a .22?), and who really thinks of a revolver in .25, or .32., 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP? When you're talking wheel guns, I think you're really looking at .38 spec./.357 mag, .41 mag, .44 spec./.44 mag., .45 long Colt, or the .500. Of these choices, looking at availability, pleasure to shoot, and so forth, the first choice is .38spec./.357 mag. If it's a S&W, Colt, Ruger, or whatever, that's like buying shoes. Nike's fit me better than Reeboks. My S&W 686 fits better than the others. YMMV.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I'm still in love with my Colt Trooper MK III. A little old and outdated but blast to shoot and fits me like a glove
    That was my first gun. The very first shot from it was a bullseye. Sadly, I sold it back in the early 90's. Matter of fact, I think I sold it in the Washington Post. Ah the good old days.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I love my S&W 686 SSR, beyond solid and accurate, very fun to shoot as I said before in this thread,but I touched that colt anaconda at freestate this weekend, I want it very badly but $2500 is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I love my S&W 686 SSR, beyond solid and accurate, very fun to shoot as I said before in this thread,but I touched that colt anaconda at freestate this weekend, I want it very badly but $2500 is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!
    OUCH! $2500!!!!!? Wouldn't you rather have the Python like everyone else here?

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    How about a colt frontier scout .22 magnum?

DSCN0485.jpg

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    It's a hog-leg, but it's a tack-driver as well.

627-2 PC, N-frame .357 (no lock).

I must agree! 8 shots in .357 magnum with the N-frame mass to soak up the recoil. it's a sweet shooter, the only revolver in my stable, and the pistol I'm most accurate with.

:)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My old S&W Trooper model 28 in 357 magnum was my favorite, but i am having fun now with my 460 magnum.

It's not my first choice to shoot all the time...but now that I think of it, it might be a good 'only revolver'. The 460 approaches the 500 's energy levels with less felt recoil AND you can step back to 454 Casull or even 45 Long Colt. As fierce as it can be with full throttle loads, it's a ***** cat with 45 LC. Even so, my S&Ws 29 and 629 are also pleasure to shoot... accurate, easy to handle and powerful. A couple people mentioned the S&W 625 in 45 ACP/moon clips....A buddy has one and, if your shooting targets, that is one nice shooting easy to handle gun.

I also have the S&W 27 and 686. Both are great shooters, but I picked the 44 mags over the .357s since they are legal for deer. That's also why most of my big bore revolvers are also 6" or longer barrels (my 460 is 8-3/8s). If I was shooting targets only, the 357 is a great choice since you can also shoot 38's.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My 70's 2" security six's .....have many revolvers (hence my name) but there is no joy like one of my SS.

Funny you mention this. The double action trigger on a Ruger Speed Six I bought years ago was one of the biggest surprises I think I've ever encountered in a revolver. Can't say if that was a fluke of a factory trigger, or the norm with these. I only own the one, and haven't shot the Security or Service cousins before or since. But I can say it was a very pleasant surprise.:thumbsup:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    :thumbsup: That's it. I think Clint kept the factory S&W wood grips on his, though! Ouch! Those things are brutal. Personally, I've never owned a revolver that I could shoot better than my Model 29.
    I've always felt that the Pachmayer grips were worse - they feel softer initially, but they really grip into the flesh of the palm and fingers so it pulls more on recoil and muzzle flip. I've got the original wood grips on mine, and when I say "original," I mean original - 1956 S&W grips, slightly worse for the wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom