• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I had a thought today about how to try to get people who do not understand the implications of the current & new Legislation in the state of MD.

I posted on FB and am hoping to get some interesting Responses...:innocent0

Hypothetical 1st amendment question...

For your reference:
    First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Before you are able to Exercise your right to___________ (Pray (or not Pray), Coexist, or Speak out against the government, etc.). I'll Use "Freedom of Speech" since most are familiar with it.

You must:

(1) Fill out 3 forms for a federal & State background Check (Press hard on the form you are making three copies), & Release your mental health records. After Oct. 1st. 2013 (a) You must send in a sample of your voice for identification, (b) Required to attend 4 hours of speech therapy to ensure you pronounce your words properly and have good grammar.

(2) Subject to the current laws about what you want to say, you shall not start talking until after your Background Check comes back "Not Dis-approved". If you have only want to say one thing at a time, It usually only takes about 15 minutes to get approval. If you have many things you want to say at one time, the law states you must wait 7 Days cooling down period (so you don't say something you'll regret). Currently the wait time is 60 to 70 days and growing because a lot of people have submitted applications. Your governor doesn't way you to have the right to Free Speech by the way. If you were previously approved to say something, you still must go through the entire process over again.

(3) After Oct. 1st you are no longer able to express say more than one thing at a time (Otherwise you will be charged with a misdemeanor, however anything you said prior to that date you can still say it as much as you want as long as you don't change what you say.

Do you think the above situation is unconstitutional and interferes with your right to free speech?

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    I had a thought today about how to try to get people who do not understand the implications of the current & new Legislation in the state of MD.

I posted on FB and am hoping to get some interesting Responses...:innocent0

Hypothetical 1st amendment question...

For your reference:
    First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Before you are able to Exercise your right to___________ (Pray (or not Pray), Coexist, or Speak out against the government, etc.). I'll Use "Freedom of Speech" since most are familiar with it.

You must:

(1) Fill out 3 forms for a federal & State background Check (Press hard on the form you are making three copies), & Release your mental health records. After Oct. 1st. 2013 (a) You must send in a sample of your voice for identification, (b) Required to attend 4 hours of speech therapy to ensure you pronounce your words properly and have good grammar.

(2) Subject to the current laws about what you want to say, you shall not start talking until after your Background Check comes back "Not Dis-approved". If you have only want to say one thing at a time, It usually only takes about 15 minutes to get approval. If you have many things you want to say at one time, the law states you must wait 7 Days cooling down period (so you don't say something you'll regret). Currently the wait time is 60 to 70 days and growing because a lot of people have submitted applications. Your governor doesn't way you to have the right to Free Speech by the way. If you were previously approved to say something, you still must go through the entire process over again.

(3) After Oct. 1st you are no longer able to express say more than one thing at a time (Otherwise you will be charged with a misdemeanor, however anything you said prior to that date you can still say it as much as you want as long as you don't change what you say.

Do you think the above situation is unconstitutional and interferes with your right to free speech?

I'd remove that part, if I were using this. It's not really necessary to the topic as a whole, and I think most of the people you'd use this on would consider it a cheap shot. Stuff like that makes people just shut down and put the blinders back on.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Don't forget that there's a list of specific popular phrases you cannot say after Oct 1st, but if you phrase them differently, it'll be legal, even if they meant the same thing.

Feb 28, 2013
    If the 1st Amendment were treated even remotely like the 2nd Amendment in this state the shrieks of the Montgomery and Prince George's county wounded would be heard in every corner from Crisfield to Oakland.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Meh, no one takes these arguments seriously. If gun grabbers cared about the constitution they wouldn't be gun grabbers.

People on the fence are also very unlikely to put my words and weapons that can kill multiple people in under 5 minutes in the same category.

Then you also have to take into account that the 1st amendment is not absolute. Speech restrictions exist on many government properties such as court houses.

Fact is, the constitution is just a piece of paper to most people. We need/have better arguments beyond the constitution. Legally speaking, the constitution is the only reason why we have guns right now but it is not going to change minds, IMO.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    If the 1st Amendment were treated even remotely like the 2nd Amendment in this state the shrieks of the Montgomery and Prince George's county wounded would be heard in every corner from Crisfield to Oakland.

Only if the speech being restricted is left wing speech. In my experience "liberal" politicians have little problem putting burdens on conservative speech, especially on hot button issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom