• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Here is an ad from Shotgun News, just after the last AWB.
    Just in time for Christmas 1994.

Attachments

• doc284-1-1.jpg
      doc284-1-1.jpg
      139.9 KB · Views: 553
    • doc285-1-1.jpg
      doc285-1-1.jpg
      132.1 KB · Views: 567
    Last edited:

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Yea, I'll take a few of those M14's please. :D

... on second thought, those are the Chinese copies...

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    If I had a time machine, there are better things to do then buy guns. Ah, the fun 70's

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Been there and done that in '94. In my humble opinion it wasn't that great of a time unless you were into milsurp bolt guns. The only other advantage I can think of is I suppose it was better if you liked M14s. Lots of cheap GI parts were still available.

By the time '94 rolled around the first import ban signed by Jorge Bush Sr. had already hurt us badly several years before. All the cool stuff had already been banned for a few years. No more AUG, FN FAL, Sig AMT, IMI Galil, Armalite/Sterling AR-180s, HK-91, Valmets, Beretta BM-59s and AR-70s.

The real golden era was in the mid '80s before the 1989 ban. No you couldn't buy a surplus 1911 or Garand from the hardware store for 50 bucks like you could a couple decades prior, but the selection of "cool guns" from around the world was better. If milsurp bolt guns were your thing, there was plenty of that available too.

Honestly in terms of the wide variety of EBRs and handguns available today, we are better off now than we ever have been since the mid '80s. Just my opinion, YMMV.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I read Shotgun news 3 times a month Couldn't wait for the next issue to arrive Yes before the 89 ban So called Assault Rifles were cheap I had a Poly Tech AK47 side Folder with Orange/red fiberglass furniture I paid 300 Sold it for the same price It got too hot to Handle So I got an AR I seen one on GB a while ago 2500.00 What a dumb ass Yeah! I could use that time machine Would have kept the rifle and dumped the Ol'lady

Been there and done that in '94. In my humble opinion it wasn't that great of a time unless you were into milsurp bolt guns. The only other advantage I can think of is I suppose it was better if you liked M14s. Lots of cheap GI parts were still available.

By the time '94 rolled around the first import ban signed by Jorge Bush Sr. had already hurt us badly several years before. All the cool stuff had already been banned for a few years. No more AUG, FN FAL, Sig AMT, IMI Galil, Armalite/Sterling AR-180s, HK-91, Valmets, Beretta BM-59s and AR-70s.

The real golden era was in the mid '80s before the 1989 ban. No you couldn't buy a surplus 1911 or Garand from the hardware store for 50 bucks like you could a couple decades prior, but the selection of "cool guns" from around the world was better. If milsurp bolt guns were your thing, there was plenty of that available too.

Honestly in terms of the wide variety of EBRs and handguns available today, we are better off now than we ever have been since the mid '80s. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Yep I remember going into a local gun store pretty regular in the mid 80s. He had a Valmet on the rack for a couple years. Price was high then, but would be a steal now. A couple Smith and Wesson shotguns (remember those), a couple Tec 9s, and a couple semi-auto Macs. A couple Calicos and a SPAS-12 also moved through the shop. With all that stuff, the gun he had that EVERYONE wanted was a Colt AR. Not many people had one and the price was steep compared to other stuff. Flash forward to now and ARs are everywhere and the other guns are as rare as hens teeth.
    I always kicked myself for not picking up a Tec 9 and some hi cap mags back then. They were really cheap....something like $150.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Even though the '89 ban banned many cool imports, FN had already declared the FAL obsolete in 1988 stopping production of them so you were not going to get any more from them unless you went to Imbel of Brazil who imported theirs through Springfield Armory. The HK-91 was on the way out too.

Also noticed the Daewoo's price has stayed the same even after almost 20 years. The Norinco M1A has gone up a bit but not by much.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Yea, I'll take a few of those M14's please. :D

... on second thought, those are the Chinese copies...

Better than most of the US built examples and considered to be bulletproof reliability. They are very cool if you can find one at a decent price.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Has anyone normalized these for inflation

That said take solace, some items are about the same or were before the most recent political bs. Though its hard to argue sa85s at that price.

And those tu33/40 mini Mauser .22s were Awesome

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    If we are taking a ride in the way back machine might as well go back to pre 1934 when you could buy a full auto Thompson at the local hardware store. Or at least go back to pre 1986 when HK mp5's were less than a grand. MAC 10's were a couple of hundred. Auto sears were not even on the radar they were so cheap. The tax stamp cost more than the sear. The crazy thing is even in the early to mid 90's a m11/9 was only $700. About the same time I picked my SKS paratrooper out of a barrel at Potomac Arms in Alexandria VA for like $89.00

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    If we are taking a ride in the way back machine might as well go back to pre 1934 when you could buy a full auto Thompson at the local hardware store. Or at least go back to pre 1986 when HK mp5's were less than a grand. MAC 10's were a couple of hundred. Auto sears were not even on the radar they were so cheap. The tax stamp cost more than the sear. The crazy thing is even in the early to mid 90's a m11/9 was only $700. About the same time I picked my SKS paratrooper out of a barrel at Potomac Arms in Alexandria VA for like $89.00

If you had a time machine there would be much better things to do then buy guns... You know like, win every bet you make in Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom