• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've been competing with a GLOCK 34 in SSP, or ESP since about 2002 or so and have no reason to stop.
    Here are some of the reasons.
    The gun works.
    I have only had 1-2 issues and they could have been avoided with better maintenance practices on my part.
    Parts are cheap, and readily available.
    Magazines can be had for under $20.
    There are more aftermarket gizmos available for GLOCK than could be counted in a day.
    In an emergency I can disassemble the entire gun with a ballpoint pen. This is important to me as I have found myself replacing a broken trigger spring sitting in a field between stages in a major match.
    I'm sure there are platforms out there that are just as good, or better but that ugly gun works works for me.
    S&W once gave me a M&P Pro for $199 and I traded it away without ever shooting it because I couldn't figure out what it would do that the GLOCK couldn't

WTF??????

And you recommend this pistol?

:D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I qualified SSP Sharpshooter in IDPA at my first classifier using an HK USP-Compact in 357Sig, which happened to be an SA/DA de-cocker model (shooting LH). Now I use a Glock 17 in SSP (shooting RH). I also do not recommend de-cockers over striker fired guns. Main thing in SSP is there are not a lot of mods you can do. While internal action work is allowed it can't be visible from the outside as different from stock and all the aftermarket triggers I know of use an alloy trigger, so most are out (but a replacement bar would be legal). I think Doug Koenig sells a max out IDPA trigger for the Glock that uses all Glock parts. Anyway no one will give you much trouble at a club match. While I also own a heavily modified G34 I don't use it in IDPA because I think the G34 is sort of outside the spirit of a CCW firearm.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Duffy's has a SP-01 in stock. As well as a Shadow and a few other custom shop CZs. Thier triggers are amazing.

I do not shoot competition, so my only input is that nothing fits your hand like a CZ.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use an SP-01 for competitions. I have big palms and short fingers, so the CZs work great for me. If I were to use it for IDPA, I'd be in ESP, not SSP, get new sights and make it single-action only. Just a thought. I can't stand mushy triggers.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I bought a p320 with the intent of joining in on IDPA in about 10 months as more time becomes available. Been doing drills and hand loading in the meantime. Just purchased caliber exchange kit and a couple of grips... to try different options for ccw...

You coming to 2A Tuesday next week?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    WTF??????

And you recommend this pistol?

:D

I do...
    I don't know if I didn't replace the trigger spring the year before, or if I just got a bad one. I had one break at the Carolina Cup one year and had to put a new one in. If I didn't replace that spring at the beginning of the season then that spring may well have had 20k rounds on it by June. Now I just replace all springs before the first match of the new year. Yes things break. Even new things break. In 17 years of competing with handguns I have seen some pretty interesting failures.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As with most shooting competitions, if you have SOMETHING that will work and be legal, go shoot some, and see what YOU want.

Until you shoot a comp, you have no idea what will work for you. And once you start shooting, many shooters will let you borrow their pistol to shoot a stage to try it.

Normal etiquette is to shoot factory ammo, and they get the brass if they want it.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Guess I'd don't know what a good trigger feels like, I still shoot out of the box M&P and 3rd gen smiths. I don't compete, but wish I could. Would love to get into it.

TD

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Guess I'd don't know what a good trigger feels like, I still shoot out of the box M&P and 3rd gen smiths. I don't compete, but wish I could. Would love to get into it.

TD
    Drop in an Apex trigger kit part #100-054 in your M&P. You won't shoot a stock trigger again.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick has the CZ 75 9mm to rent. About $30 (well I am a member and did not pay for range time). I think its the tactical sport model. The trigger on it was very nice, a very sweet gun.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    If you look at some of the stats from the sanctioned matches, you can see what kind of equipment other shooters are using. I believe Glock is number one and M&P is second in popularity. I don't think it really matters as long as you use a gun you are comfortable with and shoot well. That is going to be different for each shooter. I shoot an M&P and have the Apex action enhancement kit installed. I think you'll find that to be a very popular combination. I can't speak to what most Glock users have on their guns.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you look at some of the stats from the sanctioned matches, you can see what kind of equipment other shooters are using. I believe Glock is number one and M&P is second in popularity. I don't think it really matters as long as you use a gun you are comfortable with and shoot well. That is going to be different for each shooter. I shoot an M&P and have the Apex action enhancement kit installed. I think you'll find that to be a very popular combination. I can't speak to what most Glock users have on their guns.

In the mag IDPA puts out they list the equipment used and Glock is far and away the number one choice (G34, 17 & 19), with the M&P's second.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I have a grand total of 1 IDPA match under my belt, but I went with a CZ because of the way it fit in my hand.

I'd say if you can't shoot both at least make sure you hold them. Atlantic firearms in Rockville is a CZ dealer and should have several to check the feel with if that is closer for you.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    no one will fault you for finding or creating an excuse to get a new blaster. BUT, just start with what you got and are familiar with. especially if it's your bedside and/or carry gun. what an excellent way to get some practice in with something your or your family's life may depend on. a couple of bucks more per box of ammo for 40 or 45 vs 9mm isn't that big of a deal especially at an idpa match which usually has south of two boxes of ammo per match.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    <<~~~ gun slut. started with 1911(CDP), went to CZ-75B (SSP), to CZ-75D (SSP) and my next match will be REV as i am going to use my 686+. contrary to many opinions here, mindset over equipment. there again, i try and shoot weak/support hand in freestyle stages, as much as i can.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am sure I availability of gear and price point has a lot to do with the choices in brands popular in competition

TD

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    <<~~~ gun slut. started with 1911(CDP), went to CZ-75B (SSP), to CZ-75D (SSP) and my next match will be REV as i am going to use my 686+. contrary to many opinions here, mindset over equipment. there again, i try and shoot weak/support hand in freestyle stages, as much as i can.

I know what you mean, but it's not contrary to anyone I know. Mindset is more important, anything can be the tool, training is paramount, safety first and a lot more not discussed. But the op just ask what his next gun might should be. He narrowed it down to a few choices. Many of us answered that question, others just have data or listed what they used or liked, sometimes not even in the op's list to consider. Just saying all this obvious stuff for the op's benefit; I know what you were saying, and I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom