• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    This has been hanging around my closet for awhile. Could anyone tell me anything about it? There are some numbers on it, but I have not found a manufacturer mark. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 357
    • 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 358
    • 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 356
    • 085.jpg
      085.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 362
    • 087.jpg
      087.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 354
    • 088.jpg
      088.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 363

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Hey MOM, this is the one you told me about. Prolly not worth much, I'll give you 20 bucks for it so you don't have to mess with it anymore. :D

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    Hey MOM, this is the one you told me about. Prolly not worth much, I'll give you 20 bucks for it so you don't have to mess with it anymore. :D

Yes, that is the one I was talking about.

Hold on, folks, that's not actually a Webley. It's an Enfield No. 2 Mk I* in .38/200 aka .38 S&W. You can tell by the front sight and the spurless hammer.

Is this a weapon worth keeping? Are they a "valuable" (I know value is an individual thing) piece to own? Are there owners manuals out there for this? I admit, it was a rather pathetic sight seeing me trying to open that darn thing to take the photos.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Yes, that is the one I was talking about.

Is this a weapon worth keeping? Are they a "valuable" (I know value is an individual thing) piece to own? Are there owners manuals out there for this? I admit, it was a rather pathetic sight seeing me trying to open that darn thing to take the photos.

Not bad for something thats just been sitting in a closet

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=296528739

Well, if you want my personal opinion, when I think of "valuable" in terms of C&R-type military handguns like this one, I think more along the lines of handguns that had a significant (again, in my opinion) historical impact, e.g. the M1911/M1911A1, the Webley Mk VI in .455, the Luger P08, the Walther P38, Mauser C96, Walther PP/PPK, and so on. I myself do not consider the .38 S&W revolvers of World War II to be particularly valuable, especially when they have the spurless hammers.

Having said all that, however, yours does look to be in pretty good condition. Like almost all guns, your mileage may vary. It could turn out that you end up really liking it. If you really don't want it, there does exist a market for such revolvers, and that market is not insignificant.

As for owner's manuals, I'm not aware of this weapon being sold on the civilian market, but I'm sure you can find military technical manuals for it somewhere.

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    Well, if you want my personal opinion, when I think of "valuable" in terms of C&R-type military handguns like this one, I think more along the lines of handguns that had a significant (again, in my opinion) historical impact, e.g. the M1911/M1911A1, the Webley Mk VI in .455, the Luger P08, the Walther P38, Mauser C96, Walther PP/PPK, and so on. I myself do not consider the .38 S&W revolvers of World War II to be particularly valuable, especially when they have the spurless hammers.

Having said all that, however, yours does look to be in pretty good condition. Like almost all guns, your mileage may vary. It could turn out that you end up really liking it. If you really don't want it, there does exist a market for such revolvers, and that market is not insignificant.

As for owner's manuals, I'm not aware of this weapon being sold on the civilian market, but I'm sure you can find military technical manuals for it somewhere.

I will go look around the C&R sub forum to see if I can find some type of instructions. The gymnastics I went through to figure out how to open it would not have ended well if it was loaded. :(

I think I will stay with my nice, simple .38 S&W.

Thank you all for the quick identification! I may have to go to the C&R sub forum to identify this ones closet mate (a long gun)!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Blue Book value is about $500-$600, give or take based on the pics.

I am not sure that value is there for a 38. the gunbroker auctions posted above are much closer. Now generally webleys are increasing in price, well see if it's a fad.

Ordinarily I would make an offer as I am the boards resident Brit handgun fan, but the rifling doesn't look good. If you are interested in parting with it pm me a bore photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom