• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    November 14. Starts at 10:00 AM. Open to Factory rifles and AR-15 type rifles. Last IBS match of the year at Thurmont.

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    Steve, this is an IBS registered score match. If your rifle is a legal LV BR rifle you will be competing with other like rifles. There will be 6 matches where you are allowed 10 minutes, in each match, to complete your fire. Each target paper has 6 bulls. One sighter and 5 record. You may put as many rounds as you wish, on the sighter, but only 1 each on the record bulls. The first match is a warmup and will not count for your agg.
    The 10 ring is .500" and the X dot is .125". Scoring is "best edge" system. Best possible score is 250-25X. There will be adequate time between matches to load, clean and eat.
    If your rifle is anything other than a legal IBS LV rifle, you'll be competing against other like rifles. If you can give me a description of your rifle, I can help determine if it is legal or not. 301-831-8068

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    The rule book specifically forbids "compensators, flash hiders or muzzle breaks that affect expelled gases except in 600-1000 yd matches" There is no mention of supressors but, I'm willing to bet the match director would rule against them. The full rules, concerning AR rifles, are available on the IBS website.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting. The rules for AR Rifles states no flash hiders, but mentions nothing about muzzle brakes, which mine has. I know it was a trial run, but I hope ARs will be allowed to compete next year, I really want to try this.

Jim

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    AR Rules

Go to the IBS website.home page. Click on "Downloads". Click on "Misc.". Click on AR Rules (highlited in blue). Refer to rule # 7. It is all written there. Most of the competitors, that we've seen at IBS score matches, are shooting flat top type rifles with match barrels, which have no attachments.

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    IBS 100 yd.

Well, the match came and went without a single AR shooter showing up. We had 1 Factory class shooter ( he won!) but no black rifle shooters. Looks like the interest is just not there. Shame.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well, the match came and went without a single AR shooter showing up. We had 1 Factory class shooter ( he won!) but no black rifle shooters. Looks like the interest is just not there. Shame.

I don't have an AR without a muzzle device :sad20: otherwise I would have been there. I think 90% of the ARs I've seen have either a flash hider or muzzle brake. I may be getting another set-up with a plain barrel and I'd like to try this out. But if IBS is insisting on having a separate AR class and excludes 90% of the rifles, you won't have a lot of people showing up.

Jim

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    IBS

Interesting to see that you are from N. Va. The movement to allow AR type rifles started with some of the AR shooters from the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club.
    As far as the IBS having a class, specifically for AR rifles, would you want to have to compete against full blown IBS HV and LV bolt guns? I think that most of the really accurate AR rifles, that I have seen, are set up for target work rather than tactical work. Flash hiders and muzzle brakes are not the norm on these type rifles. I did think that it was a great gesture, on behalf of the IBS, to offer a new bunch of shooters a chance to participate. Too bad there was not much interest.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Interesting to see that you are from N. Va. The movement to allow AR type rifles started with some of the AR shooters from the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club.
    As far as the IBS having a class, specifically for AR rifles, would you want to have to compete against full blown IBS HV and LV bolt guns? I think that most of the really accurate AR rifles, that I have seen, are set up for target work rather than tactical work. Flash hiders and muzzle brakes are not the norm on these type rifles. I did think that it was a great gesture, on behalf of the IBS, to offer a new bunch of shooters a chance to participate. Too bad there was not much interest.

I think the separate AR class is great and I appreciate it! But the National Match type rifles have flash hiders on them. My really accurate AR has a muzzle brake on it so I don't have as much disturbance in sight picture shot to shot when I'm hitting steel at 500 yards so I can see if I'm off due to windage and such. And it's capable of sub-1/2 MOA. I'd be interested in this category if it's made permanent, and I'll build an upper just for competing in this category. I just don't have the funds for it right now. And I would put my SPR AR up against the LV bolt guns.

Jim

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy

The match was alot of fun and I really enjoyed shooting with everyone there.

It is hard to believe I won the factory class, at my first match. ( oh thats right I was the only one in the factory class.

I did learn it is really hard to hit those 1/2" bulls at 100yds off a Bi-pod. I will need to get a Mech. rest for the next match.

My goal was to shoot at least one target clean, and it took me all 5 matches to do it. the last match I shot a 50- 3X . Its a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Thank you for posting about the matches Ed.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I think the separate AR class is great and I appreciate it! But the National Match type rifles have flash hiders on them. My really accurate AR has a muzzle brake on it so I don't have as much disturbance in sight picture shot to shot when I'm hitting steel at 500 yards so I can see if I'm off due to windage and such. And it's capable of sub-1/2 MOA. I'd be interested in this category if it's made permanent, and I'll build an upper just for competing in this category. I just don't have the funds for it right now. And I would put my SPR AR up against the LV bolt guns.

Jim

Not all National Match rifles have muzzle devices, some have target crowns for post-ban compatibility (like mine--parents live in NY). I don't think this class is designed for SPRs and tactical rifles. It's for heavy varmint guns, and would be great for NRA Match Rifles (26" barrels, handstop rails--a great place to attach a bag rider block).

I think it's great that they opened up a class for ARs and allowed empty chamber indicators. As I understand it, bench rest matches require the bolts to be removed during cease fires. There's a story on accurateshooter that a guy went out and cleaned everyone's clock with an AR, and they then tried to DQ him for not being able to remove the bolt.

Buckhorn

Rifleman
    Apr 25, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    This thread peaked my interest. I had never seen an IBS event, so I dropped by to watch a couple of the matches.

It wasn't until later that I went to the IBS web site and discovered there was a provisional AR class. I'm definitely interested in that. I have an AR with a match barrel that would only need a couple of tweaks to be ready.

I'll plan to join in when matches start up in the spring.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What kind of scopes are being used here? Would a 3-12x be sufficient, or should I go with a higher power? I didn't notice a caliber spec on the AR group, do I have to go with a .223 or would another caliber work? Bags front and back or can I use a bipod up front? This is pretty cool, I really want to try this.

Jim

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    IBS

If you are interested the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club holds winter league matches. Their schedule is posted on the IBS website as well.
    If you want the full rules, refer to my earlier post, which explains how to find them on the IBS website. The easiest for me is to go to www.benchrest.com and click on the IBS logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom