• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Hey all,
    Just finished redoing some stuff around the house and got these 2 desk lamps that you can fill up with stuff. I was joking with my girlfriend and said i was going to fill them up with fired shell casings. She was actually okay with it so long as i cleaned and polised them first. She also mentioned filling up the lamps with casings that had a Bullet pressed in. Obviously i wouldnt use any powder and the primer would be spent.

I have all of the shell casings i would need to do the project but i was wondering if anybody had a stash of bullets that they didnt plan on shooting.

I pretty much am just looking for 223, 9mm, 300blk, and 308 bullets. I just figured id look to see if anybody has any that they screwed the bullet up when making the shell. I can also pull the bullets if you just have bad rounds all together.

Im looking to keep these mostly FMJ or plated just so they all match.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Hey all,
    Just finished redoing some stuff around the house and got these 2 desk lamps that you can fill up with stuff. I was joking with my girlfriend and said i was going to fill them up with fired shell casings. She was actually okay with it so long as i cleaned and polised them first. She almost mentioned filling them up with casings that had a bullet in it. Obviously i wouldnt use any powder and the primer would be spent.

I have all of the shel casings i would need to do the project but i was wondering if anybody had a stash of bullets that they didnt plan on shooting. I pretty much am just looking for 223, 9mm, 300blk, and 308 bullets. I just figured id look to see if anybody has any that they screwed the bullet up when making the shell. I can also pull the bullets if you just have bad rounds all together.

Im lookong to keep these mostly FMJ or plated just so they all match.

Thanks in advance
    Big fella,

Perhaps you'd consider re-writing your OP.

It's not wholly clear what your intentions are nor is it clear how we might assist you.

Good luck.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Need a link to the lamp.

You could make it heavy as hell actually filling it with bullets vs brass.

IMG_20131012_165303_572_zps5trrbenv.jpg

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    http://m.target.com/p/threshold-glass-fillable-lamp-base-clear-small/-/A-15546771

What i plan on doing is using some of our range brass and tumbling it and then use my press seat a bullet and then set them in. Using more larger cases then smaller cases so there is less mass due to more air. If i end up buying bullets i might just get some really low grain bullets like 40gr 223 or like 90gr 9mm and some 90 grain 308s to help keep the weight down. Im not sure im tooo terribly worried about that tho

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    You could also put a section of say 2-3" diameter PVC pipe in the center so you only need enough of whatever to fill the gap between the glass and pipe. No need to have a bunch of stuff in the center if you can't see it anyway.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    You could also put a section of say 2-3" diameter PVC pipe in the center so you only need enough of whatever to fill the gap between the glass and pipe. No need to have a bunch of stuff in the center if you can't see it anyway.

I thought about something similar but didnt know hoe to grt it to work. The pvc aint a bad ideA

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    go to a pistol range like Delta. Go downrange and spend a little time picking up projectiles that are 'not too badly deformed'. Press them into the cases for display only. If copper projectles, they could be 'polished' as well. having picked up lead at ranges in this manner, I know there are a lot of bullets that have been fired that are not badly deformed. I would never shoot them, but melt them to get lead or reseat for display only is a good recycle option.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    having picked up lead at ranges in this manner, I know there are a lot of bullets that have been fired that are not badly deformed. I would never shoot them...

When I was a kid I had a few rounds that I loaded up and fired in my S&W and fired them into a barrel of water, removed them and fired them out of my Python, one bullet with both right hand and left hand twist rifling marks.

Would have been a conversation starter back then but didn't have friends into the same things and there was no internet...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Cool idea! I can't really help with the bullets, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing pictures of the completed project.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Hopefully the picture posts. I cleaned some brass and put them in. Anint full yet but looks pretty cool

Attachments

• 20160207_225336.jpg
      20160207_225336.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads