• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    trbon8r and I took advantage of the beautiful weather today and decided to sneak down to DelMarVa for some quality time on the range.

I've been dying to get the new 10/22 to the range and run it through it's paces and I wasn't disappointed today. I started off at 25 yards just to make sure it was going to be at least on the paper

Then I worked it out to 50 and then 100 yards and was still getting boringly accurate results. So....I thought, what the Hell, let's see what it will do at 200 yards. :D

I stuck an orange target sticker on the backer and aimed it about 4 feet high just to make sure I didn't go over the berm. Silly me, I was still about 2 feet low. So...I aimed at the top of the berm and got the following results (this was taken in the basement later on this evening)

200yardtarget.jpg

Since I was now feeling pretty cocky, I decided to see if I could hit some clays that were laying on the 300 yard berm :gun1:

I got 3 of them but the hold over was something like 20 feet....the center of my reticle was almost at the top of the tree line and the targets were nearly outside of the bottom of the front lens. I did discover that I could aim at the very bottom tip of the reticle as indicated by the arrow below and get close enough to walk in the artillery fire.

reticle.jpg

...and for the record....trbon8r witnessed the 200 yard shot ;)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Damn, that's somethin, congrats! :thumbsup:

Especially if you consider that I ain't nothing special as a crack shot.

The predictability and consistency of that barrel is amazing. The scope is clear....

Wow, imagine that....shooting can actually be FUN. :D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm sure you've got the info elsewhere around here, but what is on your 10/22? That's impressive.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm sure you've got the info elsewhere around here, but what is on your 10/22? That's impressive.

Started life as a Bass Pro purchased base model carbine.

Added:
    Recoil buffer
    Hornet Products trigger group
    Adams and Bennett bull barrel
    Hogue Overmolded stock
    Mueller APV scope
    Power Custom base
    Angle Loc rings

Duracoating by Corsica Coatings

DSC00417.jpg

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    You have got a multi purpose weapon there. A 10 round mag makes it a sniper rifle, a 50 round mag will make it an assault rifle.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You have got a multi purpose weapon there. A 10 round mag makes it a sniper rifle, a 50 round mag will make it an assault rifle.

Perhaps....OTOH, I got an afternoon's fun of cheap, accurate shooting.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg

Oh no doubt there, My .22 is a old Winchester 67 single shot. This is first firearm I ever fired. I see the newer .22s out there, but for me a slow single shot is just fine.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.

Lots of fun with a good .22, clays at 100 yards is fun. I have yet to try 200
    with my $60.00 marlin with a $300.00 scope :innocent0 At 50 yards, they are dead on boring tack drivers.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Congrats Norton, nice shot and I'm glad to hear it's shooting well!! :party29:

FWIW, I keep a 75 yard zero on my target version 10/22 and from my rifle and that zero reference, hi-speeds need 21 moa for a dead-on hold at 200.

IMHO, the most effective way to get consistent hits on the long shots is to dial on (vs holding over), and record the data. This allows you to return to that dope (data of previous engagements) next time for a first round hit (CDI!!). It also allows you to extrapolate from this/these known value(s) to get at (at least) close on intermediate distances. There is also the added bonus of a precise and repeatable aiming point when PIA = POI.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hi Ed,

I presume that you're using a Mil-Dot reticle to extrapolate those aiming points?

My next project is the Savage 110 so I know I'll be talking a lot to you about that set up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom