• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    It has come to me this morning the reasoning behind Maryland's firearm laws and G & S

1) Carry permit to and from bank, Md collections taxes from income, Md wins

2) Robbed on way to bank, criminals don't pay taxes, Md losses

3) Carry permit for protection, kill criminal, Democrats loss vote.

4) Unarmed and criminal kills you, family pays estate taxes, Md wins

5) HQL fees to state, less guns to citizens = safer criminals, Md win, win

6) Unarmed can't stop car jacker, buy new car, pay taxes on it, Md wins

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    this has been my take on it too.

MD cant tax you on money that you dont have so they try to protect their taxable money by issuing you a CCW permit so long as you have enough money worth protecting. when I went through the 3 hour interrogation all they asked was "how much money do you carry" that was their focal point. I was granted my CCW with restrictions to and from business only. I have learned to dislike MD a lot.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It is much simpler than that.

Anyone with a firearm that is not a police officer potentially or already is a criminal in their minds. By allowing less guns on the street, they have less crime. They are probably baffled by the results, so they just keep trying to find more ways to solve the problem by taking guns off the street from people that follow the law.

I know this because the MSP said this in their written testimony against removing the G&S requirement the other day:
    "...the good-and-substantial-reason requirement advances the objectives of protecting public safety and preventing crime because it reduces the number of handguns carried in public"

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It is much simpler than that.

Anyone with a firearm that is not a police officer potentially or already is a criminal in their minds. By allowing less guns on the street, they have less crime. They are probably baffled by the results, so they just keep trying to find more ways to solve the problem by taking guns off the street from people that follow the law.

I know this because the MSP said this in their written testimony against removing the G&S requirement the other day:
    "...the good-and-substantial-reason requirement advances the objectives of protecting public safety and preventing crime because it reduces the number of handguns carried in public"

Yes, this.

This state will give (some) a permit to protect money or items of value; but will not give permit to protect life (a few rare exceptions). This makes no sense because you can't use deadly force to protect property (few exceptions), the only justifiable use of deadly force is to protect life and serious bodily injury.

This is the most fundamental problem with Maryland's current laws. Fix this, and give law abiding citizens unrestricted permits for protection like nearly every other state in America and most of us will care less about this issue.

Doing nothing to fix a serious issue like this makes you part of the problem.

[not speaking to any of you here who are doing something to properly address the issue] Even discussing, supporting, and sending emails/whatever is something.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Yes, this. This state will give (some) a permit to protect money or items of value; but will not give permit to protect life (a few rare exceptions). This makes no sense because you can't use deadly force to protect property (few exceptions), the only justifiable use of deadly force is to protect life and serious bodily injury. This is the most fundamental problem with Maryland's current laws. Fix this, and give law abiding citizens unrestricted permits for protection like nearly every other state in America and most of us will care less about this issue. Doing nothing to fix a serious issue like this makes you part of the problem. [not speaking to any of you here who are doing something to properly address the issue] Even discussing, supporting, and sending emails/whatever is something.

This was the point I made Tuesday. I have a permit and told the committee that the only reason I was able to carry was to protect business currency, and and not my family.

Bottom line, G&S is a broken system.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This was the point I made Tuesday. I have a permit and told the committee that the only reason I was able to carry was to protect business currency, and and not my family.

I've been saying this for years. Anyone with half a brain knows this is true. But unfortunately right now there are a few folks in Maryland politics that don't let the truth get in the way of a twisted political agenda. I'm very hopeful, this year we will see even more changes for the better.

I heard about your testimony; thanks to people like you the situation isn't worse, and will be getting better. I support more behind the scenes than I did in the past; I didn't attend the hearings this year, but enjoyed 2ATuesday.

A lot of the officers and administrators in Maryland get it, but most are unwilling or unable to speak up or make positive changes under the current climate. Other than the Sherrifs, and a few misc retired cops and Feds that are helping; I can only think of one state trooper that was willing to go public (on his own behalf) to speak out against these arbitrary and capricious laws/policies in Maryland. When the higher ups are calling the shots and have ways to suppress free speech, it's hard for good people to do the right thing. Those few that do, and sometimes at peril, you realize how brave and truly patriotic they are. We all owe you and them our gratitude.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This subject is upsetting the more you think about it. To think an entire state is screwed by one or two people and murders continue to happen directly because of them. It is fair to say that Frosh and O'Malley are responsible for many of the deaths in Maryland every year. CCW certainly will not prevent murder but hey, if it saves only one innocent life.... :puke: :puke:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg

You sat on the left side of the panel (facing the committee), think you had a red shirt on.

Your testimony (in my opinion) was one of the most powerful testimonies that was given that day. Everything you said was spot on, and as plain as day.

Thank you for taking the time to do that. I appreciate it.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Two simple rules to understanding G&S.

1) Do you see it?

2) Do you know what it is now that you've seen it?

There, you are now ready to apply the definition.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    It would be interesting to see the number of people who were denied a permit, then in turn died by non-natural causes. Could that make the state liable in some way?

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    This subject is upsetting the more you think about it. To think an entire state is screwed by one or two people and murders continue to happen directly because of them. It is fair to say that Frosh and O'Malley are responsible for many of the deaths in Maryland every year. CCW certainly will not prevent murder but hey, if it saves only one innocent life.... :puke: :puke:

I totally agree with this and stated so on Tuesday. "...I can assure you for the 1195 citizens that were murdered (in the last 3 years), it is a little too late to grant them a permit to carry a handgun." Further I said, "I contend that a victim who is denied this right, should hold this General Assembly and MSP accountable for all preventable injuries sustained".

What is especially hypocritical is they all have unrestricted permits to defend themselves. I spoke with the guard at the front desk a while back and asked him if all the delegates were walking around carrying handguns and he said yes of course, they are delegates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom