• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    There could be..... What if it was a "Welded" receiver that was cut and then welded again? :D\

MyToy... Can you post the auction listing you got that from please?

If you go on to Gun Broker website and type auction #592867987 in the search bar you can see the listing. If you are registered on GB and sign in you can see me as the winning bidder. I was in the market for an M1 Garand in 308 and what attracted me to this rifle was the drawing # (11010457 5-65) indicating it was one of the two drawing numbers on barrels actually produced by SA in 7.62 to be used on US Navy Garands in the 60s, ie. it wasn't converted to 308 with an insert. The barrel on this particular rifle gauged virtually new with ME of 1.0 and TE of 1.5; HS was right on with the bolt/chamber combo closing on a 1,632 gauage but not on a 1.633 gauge (no go is 1.634).

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    How's the other one you won on 10/22, it's a 308 also right?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/593100899
    I never realized those rifles went for so much.

Rifle is in excellent condition; virtually a complete HR rifle except for the new Criterion barrel. I think these rifles when available from CMP were going for around $1000. They are out of these Specials in 308 and when I called them this past summer CMP told me they didn't have any plans to produce these in the foreseeable future. I detail stripped it, cleaned and lubed it this past weekend. Hope to get it to the range soon. In fact I was so impressed with it I grabbed another CMP Special in 308 (never fired) for 100 bucks less than this one on GB this Sunday.
    I have a number of CMP service grades I bought in the early 2000s. I paid between 450 and 550 depending on where they came from. They are some real beauties. I believe the days of nice Garands for under $600 are long gone. If you have got some nice Garands with good USGI wood, low ME and TE cherish them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom