• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It was the Cold War and I was brought up being told commie equipment was junk. But I was a kid and the Soviets were more a mystery than a monster and kids are always curious about a mystery. Then Red Dawn came out and I was hooked. I was so absolutely fascinated, I wanted to be the first kid on my block with an AKM. Thanks to my paper route and an understanding Mother, I was. It was a Chicom Type 56 with a stamped receiver and an underfolding stock. I quickly discovered that, in the rifle department at least, commie equipment was actually pretty nice! Sure, it was a little crudely built but, where it counted, it was EXTREMELY well made. Over 35 years and 10,000 rounds later, I still have that little buddy and it's the last rifle I'd ever sell:

I say, that was $313.95 well spent!

Well, as we get older, we tend to think more deeply, see things more objectively, and evaluate more effectively. Once the wall fell and Warsaw Pact stuff became widely available, we all learned that their weapons were vastly better made than we were told growing up. Yes, the "enemy" military doctrine, and technological level differed from the West and their equipment reflected that, but at a basic manufacturing level, their firearms were just as well made as anything we fielded. In fact, an argument can be made that some of their individual weapons actually surpassed ours depending on the combat environment. But that's an argument for another time and I'm off topic.

As I got older and my collection grew, I formed a hierarchy of Warsaw Pact firearms in my mind. At the top of the list for collectability, Soviet made stuff is always going to be at the top of the heap. Of course, there are many variables to consider, but speaking in broad strokes, it's Soviet.

Now, for value, it gets all jumbled up real fast. For example, with the exception of an as issued 1949 Soviet SKS, an East German SKS is going to bring stupid money compared to any other Warsaw Pact example. However, beyond "can I afford it?" I rarely consider monetary value when looking at things. For me, this hobby isn't about money, it's about fun so I tend to stay away from "value" conversations.

One of my favorite things to look at when considering the various countries is Quality of finish. This is not to be confused with Quality of build. As far as I'm concerned, ALL of the Warsaw folk made durable, reliable and acceptably accurate firearms but the fact is, the finish varied greatly. In my experience, the two countries that really stood out above the rest with regards to fit and finish in the Warsaw Pact were the East Germany and Poland, especially in the earlier years. In fact, I had my Polish RPD out for inspection today and it's what prompted me to write this. So let's take a look at what I'm blathering on about.

This isn't meant to be one of my in-depth essays on a particular firearm although I'd like to get around to that for this rifle one day. Instead, it's just a casual look at how "pretty" this old clunker is. Of all my commie rifles, this example exhibits, by far, the finest bluing, best machining, and obvious attention to detail during assembly. I mean, you can tell that everyone involved in its manufacture actually cared about the end product. This particular RPD started life back in 1960 and must have gone straight from the factory in Radom into deep storage where it sat until it was sold off as scrap to God knows who until finally being imported into the US in the early 2000's. A Class II manufacturer guy I know bought a small number of these as parts sets with the intention of building a couple as full-auto's and selling the rest off as semi-auto's. He was kind enough to let me look through all of them and pick the one I wanted before he offered them to anyone else. As stated, it appeared to be unissued. It was also 100% matching down to the smallest numbered part (and the Poles numbered LOTS and LOTS of parts). What I'm trying to get at here is that I had/have absolutely no doubt that what I was buying had factory original finish on it so it would make a good reference example for what one was supposed to look like factory fresh in 1960. So, let's check out some of the details. I think you'll agree when I tell you it has an almost commercial finish.

I want to say I bought this back in 2010 but I'm not certain. I do know I've had it for well over a decade now:

While I've had this out to the range a number of times, I mainly bought it simply because I wanted it. I can't tell you how many rounds it's had through it since being reactivated without looking through my book but it's probably close to 1000 at this point. It had some teething problems at first but I generally worked them out. Stoppages were never the problem. The problem was, as it always is with RPD semi-auto conversions, light primer strikes. Without going into all the minutia, that problem was mostly solved and I only occasionally get a light primer strike when using old Chinese ammo with it's very hard primers. These are toys, not weapons of war.

Anywho, the above pictures only show you that we're looking at an RPD; they don't show you what I'm talking about. For that, we need to get up close and look at some details.
    Let's start with the rear sight:

Notice how neatly the numbers are stamped, the 50m increments, and how nicely all of the graduations are filled in with red paint. At the back is a micrometer adjustment knob for windage wan protective ears to keep the windage adjustment where you set it. In front of the sight is a round bit that is used to hold the top cover in place on its hinge. Look very carefully between this bit and the front of the rear sight and you'll just barely see two rivetsthat have been ground perfectly smooth and blued over. Nice! Also, notice all of the various finely machined angles on the sight base, and elevation slider. I didn't take a picture of it but the rear of the sight has an index mark while the base has a number of hash marks so that you can track your windage adjustment. All of these marks are also nicely filled with red paint.

The rear of the front sight showing the beautiful machining employed to give such an elegant radius. It's course windage adjustable by loosening the nut.

Also notice how the protective ears become thinner as they rise. None of this was necessary for a squad automatic weapon to do its job but someone was taking pride in their work.

A view through the side of the front sight illustrating the fine machining:

the top of the left bipod leg showing the rivet ground smooth:

This is one of the few exterior places where you can actually see the grind marks.

Rear of the stamped top cover showing an almost black chrome finish:

I added the white paint to show off how nicely the markings were done. I have a feeling they were engraved instead of stamped.

Left and right views of the gas block:

This rifle still has the original barrel. I think these pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

Front mounting point for the gas tube:

This also serves as the sling swivel and cleaning rod storage socket. Again, commercial Quality machining and bluing.

Rear gas tube mount and front of handguards:

The wood was not lacquered, only oiled and both halves are pencil numbered to the rifle on the inside. When I first bought it, the wood was very light, indicating that it had been stored in a crate with no real exposure to air. Unfortunately, they have darkened considerably over time.

The barrel has quite a few inspection stamps. Here are a couple examples showing how well struck they are:

So shiny!

Stock ferrule:

Knurling on charging handle:

I have one more post to do showing the neato cleaning kit and some internals. I'll be back in a bit.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    2010 to 2012.

I remember when all those sweet polish kits came in. Those were a BITC# to do. Figuring out how to do the headspace and pinning without buggering up the original parts took some thinking and a couple test runs. When our friend started messing with them, a LOT of Corona was consumed to figure out how some of the things had to be done. The fixtures for modifying the fire control parts alone were a project.

The trigger pull has to be more of a snap than a press due to the semi conversion issues you mention. That one you have is gorgeous. I'm glad you haven't burned a couple sets of handguards off like he has.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I remember $89 SKS rifles (Yugo M59/66) back in the early 2000s. I had a C&R back then and I was “that guy” on the UPS route.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Soviet weapons were designed to be quickly and cheaply built by minimally trained people for minimally trained soldiers. The T-34 tank…the AK47 and its type…the M1891 Mosin-Nagants, etc.

Their aircraft industry was often less successful. While certainly effective in good hands…Soviet pilots in WWII were amazed by the quality of aircraft provided by the US and Britain. They could actually see well through the plexiglass windshields and canopies as Soviet aircraft had a high degree of distortion due to being technologically behind.

Studebaker 6x6 2.5 ton trucks were far superior to anything Soviet industry could produce…and they were still using the trucks into the 1960s. Khrushchev complained after all those years that Soviet industry could not build an equal. The name “Studebaker” became a synonym for “truck”.

The Soviet MiGs became feared in the Korean War. Once a captured MiG was examined it was found to be very crudely built…even the wings were different lengths because of poor quality control. When everyone in the west had gone to solid state transistors in aircraft…much feared MiG-25 was found to still using vacuum tubes.

Yeah…the Russian small arms work but the more advanced stuff has been showing a lot of shortcomings even if effective in proper hands.

Jul 1, 2012
    "Mig Pilot" was an interesting read. When the US examined Belenko's Mig-25 they were surprised to find exposed rivet heads, crude machining, vacuum tubes, etc BUT... upon analyzing it, these were all in areas where it didn't really matter, They used cheap materials and methods where it made sense and the good stuff where it made sense. The engines were crap for longevity but they did the job they were meant to do (a few times anyway). Basically the super-dooper high-performance was at the cost of burning up the engines but it'd get up and move which was the intent. The vacuum tube radar was much more powerful than a solid-state equivalent and could burn through a lot of the jammers of the time <edit> going back to the book, it was pretty much "jam-proof"</edit>. And fry bunnies on the runway apparently.

Not all MiG-15's and 17's were junk; but it did take a skilled pilot to get the most out of it. They kicked our ass for a while... but it had some design flaws that would kill you. Once we figured those out** the kill ratio flipped to our side by a wide margin. Part of that was rotating out the experienced Soviet pilots I think... it was a pretty even match between an experienced Soviet and US pilot. Throw in new guys and Chinese/ NK pilots and it was no longer a level playing field.

** once again Chuck Yeager appears in the story; he was sent to wring out the first captured MiG-15 and the results of that short but intense series of test flights revealed a wealth of information and tactics.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It was the Cold War and I was brought up being told commie equipment was junk. But I was a kid and the Soviets were more a mystery than a monster and kids are always curious about a mystery. Then Red Dawn came out and I was hooked. I was so absolutely fascinated, I wanted to be the first kid on my block with an AKM. Thanks to my paper route and an understanding Mother, I was. It was a Chicom Type 56 with a stamped receiver and an underfolding stock. I quickly discovered that, in the rifle department at least, commie equipment was actually pretty nice! Sure, it was a little crudely built but, where it counted, it was EXTREMELY well made. Over 35 years and 10,000 rounds later, I still have that little buddy and it's the last rifle I'd ever sell:

Well, as we get older, we tend to think more deeply, see things more objectively, and evaluate more effectively. Once the wall fell and Warsaw Pact stuff became widely available, we all learned that their weapons were vastly better made than we were told growing up. Yes, the "enemy" military doctrine, and technological level differed from the West and their equipment reflected that, but at a basic manufacturing level, their firearms were just as well made as anything we fielded. In fact, an argument can be made that some of their individual weapons actually surpassed ours depending on the combat environment. But that's an argument for another time and I'm off topic.

As I got older and my collection grew, I formed a hierarchy of Warsaw Pact firearms in my mind. At the top of the list for collectability, Soviet made stuff is always going to be at the top of the heap. Of course, there are many variables to consider, but speaking in broad strokes, it's Soviet.

Now, for value, it gets all jumbled up real fast. For example, with the exception of an as issued 1949 Soviet SKS, an East German SKS is going to bring stupid money compared to any other Warsaw Pact example. However, beyond "can I afford it?" I rarely consider monetary value when looking at things. For me, this hobby isn't about money, it's about fun so I tend to stay away from "value" conversations.

One of my favorite things to look at when considering the various countries is Quality of finish. This is not to be confused with Quality of build. As far as I'm concerned, ALL of the Warsaw folk made durable, reliable and acceptably accurate firearms but the fact is, the finish varied greatly. In my experience, the two countries that really stood out above the rest with regards to fit and finish in the Warsaw Pact were the East Germany and Poland, especially in the earlier years. In fact, I had my Polish RPD out for inspection today and it's what prompted me to write this. So let's take a look at what I'm blathering on about.

This isn't meant to be one of my in-depth essays on a particular firearm although I'd like to get around to that for this rifle one day. Instead, it's just a casual look at how "pretty" this old clunker is. Of all my commie rifles, this example exhibits, by far, the finest bluing, best machining, and obvious attention to detail during assembly. I mean, you can tell that everyone involved in its manufacture actually cared about the end product. This particular RPD started life back in 1960 and must have gone straight from the factory in Radom into deep storage where it sat until it was sold off as scrap to God knows who until finally being imported into the US in the early 2000's. A Class II manufacturer guy I know bought a small number of these as parts sets with the intention of building a couple as full-auto's and selling the rest off as semi-auto's. He was kind enough to let me look through all of them and pick the one I wanted before he offered them to anyone else. As stated, it appeared to be unissued. It was also 100% matching down to the smallest numbered part (and the Poles numbered LOTS and LOTS of parts). What I'm trying to get at here is that I had/have absolutely no doubt that what I was buying had factory original finish on it so it would make a good reference example for what one was supposed to look like factory fresh in 1960. So, let's check out some of the details. I think you'll agree when I tell you it has an almost commercial finish.

I want to say I bought this back in 2010 but I'm not certain. I do know I've had it for well over a decade now:

While I've had this out to the range a number of times, I mainly bought it simply because I wanted it. I can't tell you how many rounds it's had through it since being reactivated without looking through my book but it's probably close to 1000 at this point. It had some teething problems at first but I generally worked them out. Stoppages were never the problem. The problem was, as it always is with RPD semi-auto conversions, light primer strikes. Without going into all the minutia, that problem was mostly solved and I only occasionally get a light primer strike when using old Chinese ammo with it's very hard primers. These are toys, not weapons of war.

Anywho, the above pictures only show you that we're looking at an RPD; they don't show you what I'm talking about. For that, we need to get up close and look at some details.

Notice how neatly the numbers are stamped, the 50m increments, and how nicely all of the graduations are filled in with red paint. At the back is a micrometer adjustment knob for windage wan protective ears to keep the windage adjustment where you set it. In front of the sight is a round bit that is used to hold the top cover in place on its hinge. Look very carefully between this bit and the front of the rear sight and you'll just barely see two rivetsthat have been ground perfectly smooth and blued over. Nice! Also, notice all of the various finely machined angles on the sight base, and elevation slider. I didn't take a picture of it but the rear of the sight has an index mark while the base has a number of hash marks so that you can track your windage adjustment. All of these marks are also nicely filled with red paint.

The rear of the front sight showing the beautiful machining employed to give such an elegant radius. It's course windage adjustable by loosening the nut.

Also notice how the protective ears become thinner as they rise. None of this was necessary for a squad automatic weapon to do its job but someone was taking pride in their work.

This is one of the few exterior places where you can actually see the grind marks.

I added the white paint to show off how nicely the markings were done. I have a feeling they were engraved instead of stamped.

This rifle still has the original barrel. I think these pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

This also serves as the sling swivel and cleaning rod storage socket. Again, commercial Quality machining and bluing.

The wood was not lacquered, only oiled and both halves are pencil numbered to the rifle on the inside. When I first bought it, the wood was very light, indicating that it had been stored in a crate with no real exposure to air. Unfortunately, they have darkened considerably over time.

The barrel has quite a few inspection stamps. Here are a couple examples showing how well struck they are:

So shiny!

Stock ferrule:

I have one more post to do showing the neato cleaning kit and some internals. I'll be back in a bit.
    *****Wow! Those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! I’ve shot a few weapons from old eastern block countries before at the range but nothing as well maintained and nice as yours. Some of the older Ammo was very corrosive and I remember my range mate telling me everything had to be cleaned before putting it back in the safe or it would corrode the guns.

Much of what I saw had seemingly stamped components with very rudimentary accessories, but the guns never jammed and worked well enough to do some damage for sure.

Really nice collection.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I forgot to post two pictures in the last post.

The first one is the right side of the trigger and stock housing:

Again, we're just looking at the overall fit and finish of the parts here. The pistol grip panels are beautifully shaped and appear to be beech. The entire steel lower is machined and equally well sculpted. "OGIEN" is Polish for "FIRE".

The second one shows the butt plate to wood fitment. Zero gaps:

The bump in the middle is the rivet holding the rotating trap door in place. Pull down on the spring tab at the bottom and the door pivots 90 degrees. This allows you access to remove the recoil spring (not necessary for normal cleaning) and to remove the cleaning kit.

The cleaning kit that came with the rifle is on the left and a NOS one is wrapped up on the right:

Here, we see both opens showing all the goodies inside:

For the picture, I've placed everything on the kit I use in the same positions as the NOS kit. These were dirt cheap at first. Then, as parts started drying up, many vendors pirated the spare firing pin, extractor, and extractor spring out of the kits and selling them separately. To me that's dishonest. Anyway, the lesson to learn here is that you should buy this stuff when it originally hits the market and is plentiful. If you wait, you're only going to regret it later. Even though I only ever actually use one drum, I bought a pile of them at the time cheap. Now, they are around $70 when you rarely encounter them. Remember the lesson....

Here, I've laid out all the bits to show you just how extensive the kit is:

At top, left to right:
    broken shell extractor, small scraper for the gas ports, spare extractor, above a partial spare firing pin (I'll explain below), spare extractor spring over a multi-purpose adapter (used to make a "T" handle among other things), large scraper for the gas cup.
    ** About the firing pin....... part of the semi-auto conversion kit was a small rod to be used as an intermediate firing pin between the slide hammer and the actual firing pin in the bolt. This intermediate firing pin was so poorly hardened (if it was hardened at all), it would begin to mushroom after just a few rounds. With continued use, it would lock in the bolt carrier and create a runaway firing situation. After playing with this for a while, I finally decided to omit it and fabricate my own by cutting part of the spare firing pin off, modify it, and use it as the intermediate firing pin. It worked perfectly and I just kept the remainder of the original spare firing pin instead of tossing it. I still have a spare in the NOS cleaning kit so it all worked out. **
    Continuing on with the cleaning kit parts, row two, left to right:
    pin punch, rod to be used with the aforementioned multi-purpose adapter to create a "T" handle, a multi-use tool used as a wrench, screwdriver, prying device, and other stuff, and finally, a bore cleaning jag. The actual cleaning rod is stowed along the left side of the receiver.
    At the bottom is the steel case. It's held closed by a spring latch and can be used as a handle for the screwdriver if desired. The little spring fingers in the lid apply pressure to all the contents when stowed to keep them from rattling. The entire thing is a sweet little box of efficiency!

We'll finish this up by looking at some of the internal components.

First, we see the bolt sitting on the carrier with the locking flaps in the "locked" position. In this position, they would protrude into cutouts in the receiver, thus locking the action:

After ignition, as the bullet travels down the barrel, part of the gas is bled off to act on the gas piston, pushing the bolt carrier to the rear. As the carrier moves backwards, cam slot machined into it, interact with a lug protruding from the bottom of each locking flap, pulling them inwards against the bolt and out of the cutouts in the receiver. This allows the bolt/carrier assembly to continue to the rear, pulling the spent casing from the chamber as it does so. Here. we see the action unlocked with the flaps pulled inward against the bolt:

Here's the finish on the gas piston:

Nice, nice, NICE! The piston is, as far as the end user is concerned, permanently attached to the bolt carrier.

Machining on the top of the bolt carrier:

The bottle shaped area with all the inspection marks is where the bottom of the bolt rests. Behind that are the two camming slots that move the locking flaps inwards.

The serial number on the bottom of the bolt carrier appers to be engraved:

More very nicely stamped inspection marks on the bottom of where the gas piston and bolt carrier meet:

Again, we see the deep blue finish.

Inside surface of the locking flaps showing the electro penciled serial number and a number of inspection stamps:

These parts are bare steel with no finish.

Outside surface of the left locking flap turned upside down:

Front is to the right of the picture. It's rounded at the front so that it can pivot where it meets the bolt.

Detail of the lug that rides in the cam slot on the bolt carrier:

Not a crude cut or angle to be seen.

We'll finish up with the bolt. It's also in the white:
    Bottom, showing the electro penciled serial number and a plethora of inspection stamps:

It wouldn't be Warsaw Pact is it wasn't covered in stamps!!

Left side of the bolt showing the recess for the locking flap. Bottom is at the top of frame and rear is to the left:

LOTS of work went into this part.

Top of the bolt showing the ejector slot and even more stamps:

Rear of the bolt showing the back of the firing pin:

And, finally, the front of the bolt:

And that's it, a quick look at some of the beautiful details on a typical Polish made RPD. While there are a fair number of stamped bits, most of this rifle is made the old school way out of finely machined and richly blued steel blocks. Compared to the RPK that replaced it, the RPD was an absolute work of mechanical art. Thankfully, the man who built it for me was VERY careful to preserve the original finish. It took him a while and he said that he'd NEVER build another RPD after his one time run. I was grateful to get this all those years ago and I hope to enjoy it for years to come. Maybe one day I'll do an in-depth look at all the details but this'll do for now. I just had it out for inspection and had some spare time today so I figured I'd share my fascination with it's overall Quality. Hopefully you enjoyed it as well. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    2010 to 2012.

I remember when all those sweet polish kits came in. Those were a BITC# to do. Figuring out how to do the headspace and pinning without buggering up the original parts took some thinking and a couple test runs. When our friend started messing with them, a LOT of Corona was consumed to figure out how some of the things had to be done. The fixtures for modifying the fire control parts alone were a project.

The trigger pull has to be more of a snap than a press due to the semi conversion issues you mention. That one you have is gorgeous. I'm glad you haven't burned a couple sets of handguards off like he has.

LOL. He was angry from beginning to end on this project. I KNOW he regretted taking it on.
    I remember that he wasn't happy with the quality of the FCG as it arrived and modified/fabricated some of his own parts. He also tested each one with his full auto parts before setting it free. As the slide hammer wore in, I had to do a little reshaping to keep it running reliably but I eventually ended up with a pretty nicely useable rifle.

No, I treat mine like an artifact to be preserved. I use it, but I'm always careful with it. No burning through ammo and scorching the handguards! Of course, his is full auto and some of the guys at the shop didn't understand the words "controlled burst"!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    LOL. He was angry from beginning to end on this project. I KNOW he regretted taking it on.
    I remember that he wasn't happy with the quality of the FCG as it arrived and modified/fabricated some of his own parts. He also tested each one with his full auto parts before setting it free. As the slide hammer wore in, I had to do a little reshaping to keep it running reliably but I eventually ended up with a pretty nicely useable rifle.

No, I treat mine like an artifact to be preserved. I use it, but I'm always careful with it. No burning through ammo and scorching the handguards! Of course, his is full auto and some of the guys at the shop didn't understand the words "controlled burst"!
    Yeah a lot of swearing.

Had to find some extra triggers in the process of figuring out the jigs and process to machine them properly. As you note, the semi closed bolt conversion of an open bolt full auto is never a good thing. I can't remember specifically which part but one of the intermediate springs was such crap that he ended up finding a company to sell him better ones (yours has one). I think it's the one that drives the hammer block forward into the op rod end where it's drilled for the intermediate firing pin.

Making the lower semi auto was a lot of work and each lower had to be fitted to it's new semi auto receiver individually. If you look at where the pins are, they enter a curved surface of the lower. Had to flat the points with a very small endmill and then spot em with a center drill before actually drilling them or the bit would walk right off.

Those guns are never going down in value. Do you remember the unfired Bulgy krinks in 5.45?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It was the Cold War and I was brought up being told commie equipment was junk.
    Defintiely easy to see why these opinions would exist in the Cold War Era. I think those opinions have carried over into the 21st century due to the widespread use of Soviet weapons and their clones by guerilla/third world armies. Also the absolute domination of the $99 wartime Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle in recent decades has furthered opinions that they are junk. The low cost (it's cheap - must be junk), their legitimately rough appearance due to being built during the war, and the cosmoline/sticky bolt issue didn't help. Sticky bolt is directly related to improper cleaning of a rifle that had been greased in a crate for 50 years. A cosmoline-free 91/30 may not be pretty but it is an absolutely reliable workhorse rifle. Many attribute sticky bolt to a design flaw.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Those guns are never going down in value. Do you remember the unfired Bulgy krinks in 5.45?

Yeas I do. I screwed up on that one. I was holding a completed one in my hands......$1000. But I had just bought the unfired military surplus M92 and didn't want to stretch my coin so thin. I didn't necessarily want yet another caliber either. Oh well, you can't have everything I guess. I still have the M92. That thing is crazy accurate at 100 yards. And it's an absolute RIOT when you take the booster off. Kids LOVE it and Fudds HATE it!!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeas I do. I screwed up on that one. I was holding a completed one in my hands......$1000. But I had just bought the unfired military surplus M92 and didn't want to stretch my coin so thin. I didn't necessarily want yet another caliber either. Oh well, you can't have everything I guess. I still have the M92. That thing is crazy accurate at 100 yards. And it's an absolute RIOT when you take the booster off. Kids LOVE it and Fudds HATE it!!

The posties are fun. The 545 krinks with modded drum mags (to run 545 instead of 762) and no booster are almost as good as the 9 inch POF ar that I made a custom boom tube for. Makes 223 sound like 308 with a longer thinner more forward fireball. The chicken dinner winner is still the HK51 with the drum. Bare muzzle.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

So shiny!

Stock ferrule:

gee that RPD looks familiar!!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Back in the UK, 50 years ago I bought a "Vostok MU-M" (Margolin here) target pistol. it came in a fitted wooden case & included a complete spare trigger mechanism. Paper wrap, bottom left.
    That didn't exactly inspire confidence!
    It worked fine though & was a suitable .22RF trainer for indoor ranges in London. & was similar enough to my P-38 in 9mm for keeping in practice.
    5003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom