• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I need to practice more. The range up the road from work is pistol calibers or shotgun only. I'm getting a membership later this month since $15-$20 per trip is not conducive to keeping my wallet alive. I'd like a similar pistol caliber setup like my 3-Gun rifle. S&W makes a .22 that looks close enough. How close is it function wise to a centerfire AR? Or should I look at a centerfire AR?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you already have an AR, a .22 upper works great
    I might be selling one in the classifieds, even! :)

But, more seriously, for people who've really invested in their guns, conversions make a lot of sense. If you're competing even semi-seriously, you've got a tuned frame for your pistol and a tuned lower for your rifle... why dump all of that for a dedicated 22lr with a so-so trigger?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    man i've been so busy hitting all the local competitions that i haven't had any time to practice. i just use one competition as practice for the next.

if you have a basement or garage, consider getting an airsoft gun(s). they make some pretty close to the real ones. i made a bunch of miniature poppers and plates by cutting up some sheet metal, very fun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

But, more seriously, for people who've really invested in their guns, conversions make a lot of sense. If you're competing even semi-seriously, you've got a tuned frame for your pistol and a tuned lower for your rifle... why dump all of that for a dedicated 22lr with a so-so trigger?

That's a good point. But then I have to clean the gun before switching back to centerfire and I've been known to skip a cleaning or two :innocent0

man i've been so busy hitting all the local competitions that i haven't had any time to practice. i just use one competition as practice for the next.

if you have a basement or garage, consider getting an airsoft gun(s). they make some pretty close to the real ones. i made a bunch of miniature poppers and plates by cutting up some sheet metal, very fun.

I can do that in my back yard since I'm in PWC and have a real, fenced in back yard. The airsoft store is only open on weekends, though.

anthonyjhallen

May 16, 2011
    APG
    Get a .22 BCG from Stag. They make a good one that runs well with SW MP15-22 25rd mags.

I shot mine at York this past weekend in their monthly fun shoot. Ran fine, only one malfunction w/CCI Stingers.

If you dont clean it you will have a problem though. .22 is really dirty.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The airsoft store is only open on weekends, though.

the one by guns & ammo warehouse store and the 7-11? pretty sure i've been there during the week but maybe they changed hours or aren't in their summer season yet.

yeah especially if you have some room outside, you can set up a few stages or at least a long stage and get some runnin' n' gunnin' in as well!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    the one by guns & ammo warehouse store and the 7-11? pretty sure i've been there during the week but maybe they changed hours or aren't in their summer season yet.

yeah especially if you have some room outside, you can set up a few stages or at least a long stage and get some runnin' n' gunnin' in as well!

They moved the store front to their warehouse and stopped opening on weekedays :mad54: I drove up there on a Thursday, had to find them via my smart phone, then they were closed! The airsoft guy at the two gun shows didn't have any 1911s or CZ-75s.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Because you can always put a great trigger in that S&W. The advantage of owning a S&W AR15-22 is that you now have 2 complete guns. You can keep your AR together and the .22 together. And also suprisingly enough the little AR15-22 tends to be more reliable than a .22 upper. One issues with the uppers is that the mags used that have the bolt hold open will stick in the chamber because the hold open is part of the mag and so the mag will not drop out. Other than a lot of polymer the AR15-22 is actually more AR like than say the HK416 or the Colt M4. The only thing it lacks as a working forward assist. But you can put any trigger, grip, handguard, sight, bipod, etc from an AR on it. The only thing you can't do it take the buffer tube off. But any stock that fits a Mil-Spec tube can be put on it.
    In my case I bought the AR15-22 before my 3-gun AR and was shooting in competition for close to 8 months before I built the .223.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Answer #1 - don't even need an upper , just a conversion unit.

Answe#2 - anything that involves a trigger and sights will improve your basic skills.

Answer#3 - if you're looking for an excuse for a pistol cal upper/ gun , "because you want one" is plenty enough reason. Go ahead and buy one if you want to.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Answer#3 - if you're looking for an excuse for a pistol cal upper/ gun , "because you want one" is plenty enough reason. Go ahead and buy one if you want to.

:lol: I'm pushing 40 firearms now, what's another three or four? I have an AR lower sitting around doing nothing, I think I'll just get another pistol caliber upper and some .22 versions of my pistols and be done with it. Being in the bottom third on a consistent basis sucks.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The only problem I have with conversions is that I find value in practicing with the caliber I compete with. If I shoot 1000 rounds of .22LR with my 2011 body, then switch to major limited loads, I've got to acclimate to the recoil recovery all over again; for me, practicing with a .22 would hurt more than help.

If you want to save money, I'd suggest investing in reloading equipment before practicing with a much lighter caliber.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The only problem I have with conversions is that I find value in practicing with the caliber I compete with. If I shoot 1000 rounds of .22LR with my 2011 body, then switch to major limited loads, I've got to acclimate to the recoil recovery all over again; for me, practicing with a .22 would hurt more than help.

If you want to save money, I'd suggest investing in reloading equipment before practicing with a much lighter caliber.

I already reload for everything I own except the 9mm and the combloc stuff. I'm working on a better load for my .40 wide body 1911 and my CZ-75. Blue Dot is fine for my 10mm, but loading that in the .40 produced too much muzzle blast for me. I switched to Unique and am in the process of testing out what works best with the 180gr TC lead bullets I picked up a the gun show. The load I used Monday was the 180gr lead bullet with 4.4gr of Unique. It was supposed to be 4.9gr of Unique but my Lee Disk powder thrower threw 4.4 instead of 4.9 gr of Unique. Everything worked, and I was able to put four bullets into one hole at 10 yards with it before some of the not quite in spec ammo started showing up. I really need to find that case gauge for the .40 again. I will probably have to up the powder charge since that's actually below the minimum per Lyman's manual for this powder and bullet. Anyway, I plan to hit the range at least once a week, using the .22s as a warm up and going to centerfire towards the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom