Not open for further replies.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Squatters= Trespassers IMHO

Call the cops...

All depends.

I'm not a lawyer. (And therefore am not going to attempt to give "legal advice") But as a locksmith for over 30 years, I've been involved in many evictions. (Mostly in Baltimore City and Baltimore County)

Generally, if the "squatters" did not break in (IOW - someone - previous tenant, etc. "let them move in") and they have "taken up residence", the landlord usually must go through eviction proceedings to get them out.

Yes. I know that sucks. But that is generally the way the law works.

If the landlord locks the out, they could end up with the court allowing them to stay - for free - for a time determined by the judge. (Not to mention possible monetary damages - especially if the people "claim" that anything of theirs is now missing/damaged.

Again... sucks! But the system is stacked against the landlord - especially in the city. And too many people know how to "play the system".

Not sure how it works in AA Co.. But I would tread very lightly here, or it could end up being a very costly mistake.

Now if they kicked in a door, and are just "flopping" there (as far as I know) all bets are off. Call the cops.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Oh, man, that sucks.

Are they actively sucking you dry, or just occupying space that should go to a paying tenant?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    need details?

Where these renters that signed a lease and are now not paying?
    I had a "professional" renter in one of my properties that cost me $15K
    being a landlord can be great and can be a nightmare. Document everything with registered mail and lots of pictures. Begin the eviction process.
    I wish you the best. I ended up paying my renter $2k to leave so it would save me money.... It sucks that every law out there is for the renter and not for the owner.

I now have 3 properties that sit empty all for sale b/c of this one renter... I'm done with being a landlord

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    give them a 'pay rent or quit'... gives them 3 days to pay up or leave... then formal eviction notice... if its your first go around definately use a lawyer... or if theyre zombies I can eradicate them for you... for a small fee... that may or may not be a tax write off... wait I forgot who was in office... the small fee is accompanied by a larger excise and import tax... so go with the lawyer

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    My sister had a roommate who did not pay rent for a few months in a row. She was told by the PG Police that, after they have lived there 90 days, you have to give them 30 days' notice (even if you never charged them a dime). That means, if someone is NOT on a lease (as a favor, or month-to-month renter), you can give them 30 days before eviction. If they are on a lease and they are not paying, I'm certain you'll need to go through the landlord-tennant eviction process.

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    My sister had a roommate who did not pay rent for a few months in a row. She was told by the PG Police that, after they have lived there 90 days, you have to give them 30 days' notice (even if you never charged them a dime). That means, if someone is NOT on a lease (as a favor, or month-to-month renter), you can give them 30 days before eviction. If they are on a lease and they are not paying, I'm certain you'll need to go through the landlord-tennant eviction process.

the legal term is 'standing' and yes that is pretty much correct

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    What happened to the time when you could go into a place you own and throw the dregs out on their @$$?

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    Im not an attorney but I am good at making someone scared.

+1.

Also, for those who rent to others, because leases are so difficult, a well-kept secret is the effectiveness and actionability of a 'Contract to Lease' which is entirely and immediately actionable as a contract (as soon as the contract is violated) as opposed to the d**k-in-the-pencil-sharpener process that is lease law.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom