• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    ...was out in my deer stand at 0600 Saturday morning. Snow on the ground; about 31 degree's and no wind. Perfect.

At 0900 hours; here's comes a small yearling through the brambles. I'm watching her intently because I want a doe now; to take home; skin and debone for jerky. She get's about 15 feet away to my 4 o'clock and then suddenly kneels; beds down and closes her eyes

So I am 20 feet above her, contemplating if I want to shoot her. But the more I look at her and weigh the pro's and con's:

1. She's small; about 80 pounds. Not enough meat worth the work involved after shooting her.
    2. Her snout is still short, and she has a fluffed face; indicative of a adolescent deer
    3. I have never shot a bedded down deer and think that's just wrong to do. There's something about the sanctity of your sleeping spot.

So I stayed in my stand for another hour, just watching her sleep and waiting for something larger to happen by. After an hour; I slowly climbed down my stand (left my face veil on); she woke up and watched me; didn't move as I slowly walked by her and out of the woods.

So I am hoping that I see another one next week, when out late muzzle loader season comes in again. The deer are getting scarce now since they are herding up; due to the cold, and are not ranging as freely as before.

At any rate; I feel a little weird for not taking her now (after the fact) but I think that the deer gods are smiling a little more today.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I would like to think that you will be rewarded for passing on this one by getting a bigger and better opportunity next time in the woods.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    It's not always about the kill. Good for you. Like mooseman said you will get rewarded.

yotaboy24

Mar 12, 2009
    Couple years ago I downed what I thought was a doe, turned out to be a button buck. He was small and I was wishing I had not taken the shot. From then on I'm picky as to what animal I'm going to take. Nothing wrong with letting some walk.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    ...was out in my deer stand at 0600 Saturday morning. Snow on the ground; about 31 degree's and no wind. Perfect.

At 0900 hours; here's comes a small yearling through the brambles. I'm watching her intently because I want a doe now; to take home; skin and debone for jerky. She get's about 15 feet away to my 4 o'clock and then suddenly kneels; beds down and closes her eyes

So I am 20 feet above her, contemplating if I want to shoot her. But the more I look at her and weigh the pro's and con's:

1. She's small; about 80 pounds. Not enough meat worth the work involved after shooting her.
    2. Her snout is still short, and she has a fluffed face; indicative of a adolescent deer
    3. I have never shot a bedded down deer and think that's just wrong to do. There's something about the sanctity of your sleeping spot.

So I stayed in my stand for another hour, just watching her sleep and waiting for something larger to happen by. After an hour; I slowly climbed down my stand (left my face veil on); she woke up and watched me; didn't move as I slowly walked by her and out of the woods.

So I am hoping that I see another one next week, when out late muzzle loader season comes in again. The deer are getting scarce now since they are herding up; due to the cold, and are not ranging as freely as before.

At any rate; I feel a little weird for not taking her now (after the fact) but I think that the deer gods are smiling a little more today.

No man, you're not getting soft. Sounds like you've killed a few deer in your time though.

I remember hunting a deadfall during BP season in W. Va. one year. Ironic what you mentioned because at 8:55 am one morning, I watched a small deer bed down not 30 yards from where I was. The reason I remember that so well was because, within 10 minutes of that exact time, and for the next 3 days, that deer did the same exact damned thing!

I've often been asked me how I can sit in the woods all day. And don't you get bored? There is always something going on in the woods! Thing is, whatever happens takes place in it's own time.......and in it's own way.....not yours.

When I was young, hunting was all about quantity. Later on, it becomes about quality. Not a bad deal all in all. Never did take a shot at that deer. Had a freezer full of meat at the time, and it just wasn't what I was looking for. Enjoyed the hell out of the time though!

Enjoyed your story as well! Sounds like you scored big time today!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Normally by now in the season I'd have several deer in the freezer, but... the freezer is not quite empty from last season yet and I have not seen a mature buck to loose an arrow or drop a hammer on, and also the does that I have had in close recently (when I would probably have shot a doe for the freezer) have all been young deer and I too, have let them all pass. I have probably seen over 50 deer in the last two days afield, but have not so much as even raised my weapon on a single deer yet.

I have not put nearly as much time in the field this season as compared to most, so it's time to get serious and find that one good buck that the guys saw across the farm on opening day of gun season, if he's made it this far.. and probably a couple does for freezer insurance.. lol. We have a lot of hunting season left in archery, so I'll be out there more now..

Soft, no... selective.. yes. No harm in that at all! :party29:

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Very nice display of your respect for nature. You will be rewarded !! I just wish others had your ethics, lately I've heard others say "if it's brown…it's down", not a good outlook for the future of hunting sports.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Very sporting of you to pass on a sleeping deer, it would be like shooting a duck or goose while they are on the water.

I'm happy to see there are still gentleman in the sport.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    :thumbsup: A true harvester of nature's bounty. Let the smaller ones grow and take them when it's time, not before. Much like fishing you threw the little one back.:thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I would like to think that you will be rewarded for passing on this one by getting a bigger and better opportunity next time in the woods.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Well said!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last year, my son and I set up my ground blind, on the farm we have permission to hunt.
    We're also listed on the Crop Damage Permit. (We were hunting on that permit, this particular day.)

The few of us that hunt that farm, have an agreement. IF you see a doe w/ a fawn/yearling, do NOT take the doe, or if you must take the doe, take them both.
    Period. (No-one has ever taken one of these shots, that I'm aware of.)

About 20 minutes after I got into the blind, a big doe walked out of the thicket, to the right of us, and stood near the soybean field, about 30 yards from us.
    About 10 seconds later, a fawn stood up directly in front of us, about 10-15 yards out. She was bedded IN the soybean field!!!
    This little fawn stretched and ran over to it's mother and started nursing!!!!!

That was the absolute coolest thing that I've EVER seen!!!!!!!

Needless to say....... the doe and fawn 'walked'.

Good on ya, willtill!!!!!!!! You WILL be rewarded!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom