• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'd buy some if my AR could feed it. As it is I've got about 200 rounds of Tula that is useless to me. I wish I could use ammo at that price point.

Eastcoasttj

This is gonna hurt
    Sep 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    Might be a stupid question but...I heard once the rifle heats up the lacquer covering on steel rounds will melt somewhat and gum up the parts. I'm new to AR's so this is more of a question than a statement.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Might be a stupid question but...I heard once the rifle heats up the lacquer covering on steel rounds will melt somewhat and gum up the parts. I'm new to AR's so this is more of a question than a statement.

There is an element of that and I wouldn't want to shoot hundreds of rounds of it and not clean it afterwards, plus it's really dirty ammo. But that wasn't what was happening to me. My rifle was short stroking and failing to properly pick up the next round (even with a carbine weight buffer, not an H). About every 3rd round wouldn't even leave the mag, and every 10th or so would pick up improperly and get the bullet jammed into the upper locking lugs on the barrel extension and require mag removal for clearance.

I believe that my rifle may be undergassed for this lightly charged ammo. I'm going to try to source a lighter buffer spring (specifically for this light ammo) and try this stuff again and see if that will get the bolt to fully cycle so I can use the cheap stuff.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Great deal. I could feed this to my 551-A1 without any issues, great plinking ammo.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    .I heard once the rifle heats up the lacquer covering on steel rounds will melt somewhat and gum up the parts.

The newer Russian made ammo is not covered by lacquer, more like polymer coated to helping w/ feeding- has been for several years. Now, is it loaded light and very dirty? - most likely, will it actually melt lacquer off the case? - probably not. Do a test yourself w/ a torch on "empty" lacquered cases/shells.

Although, there might be some old stock w/ lacquered case, w/ new name floating around somewhere, the pictures shown on web is lacquered case ammo (green case), but described as polymer coated (gray color).

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hmm, tempting. Burned a lot of my stash at the last Engage carbine class. I'm not really sure what to make of the guys who won't run steel... I guess they either pay through the nose, reload, or don't shoot nearly as much as I do.

BTW, current production Wolf is supposedly made at Barnaul now, so it's a step up from the old Tula ammo they used to be selling.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Hmm, tempting. Burned a lot of my stash at the last Engage carbine class. I'm not really sure what to make of the guys who won't run steel... I guess they either pay through the nose, reload, or don't shoot nearly as much as I do.

BTW, current production Wolf is supposedly made at Barnaul now, so it's a step up from the old Tula ammo they used to be selling.

I don't get to shoot my rifles as much so I guess I don't feel the price pain as much. My main dislike is the how filthy the stuff is, but in my 551-A1 I could care less. I'll save the others for my AR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom