• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WMDShooter

Aug 14, 2011
    Allegany County
    The front sight screw on my Ruger .22 Mark III Competition keeps working loose. Can anyone offer a tip on how to keep it tight, i.e. is there a recommended adhesive for handguns? Thank you for the help...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I prefer Green for this application. Blue will work loose with moderate heat generated from firing.

I have tightened hundreds of MK Series Front AND Rear Sights. Green is where its at.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The front sight screw on my Ruger .22 Mark III Competition keeps working loose. Can anyone offer a tip on how to keep it tight, i.e. is there a recommended adhesive for handguns? Thank you for the help...

blue works...just make sure you use brake cleaner on the screw to clean off the grease/oil and let it dry before applying the loctite.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I prefer Green for this application. Blue will work loose with moderate heat generated from firing.

I have tightened hundreds of MK Series Front AND Rear Sights. Green is where its at.

I used blue on my AK pinned muzzle break...hasnt come loose yet....thousands of rds fired through it...maybe i just got lucky with it...as it came loose when I first bought it...

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I don't know what the loc-tite is going on, but I understand that Green is wicking. Designed to be placed on press fit pins and such. Blue is for small threads (removable) and red is not removable(requires heat)

Any comments, I am shooting off the top of my head.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Actually fastner size plays a role in which loctite to use. Purple is low strength, and is used on small tiny screws (like scope mounts) it will come loose without heat-and just regular handtools. I prefer this for scope mounting -both rings and base. Too strong of a loctite - and the screws will strip the heads, unless you heat them first.

Blue is a low strength, and used for larger fasters , that do not require permanent locking. Fastners should loosen with just handtools, unless they are real small micro screws -then you may have a problem.

Red is intended for permanent locking. You WILL need heat to get a fastener loose with loctite red on it. Usally loctite red is used for critical engine parts, like connecting rod cap bolts.

There is also a loctite orange -which is a flange sealer. We used to use a monster sized tube of that stuff, for the air cooled Porsche 911 motors - they require it for the engine case halves, and the cam housings to all 6 cylinder heads. You apply it with a paint roller - literally.

Loctite green is penetrative/wicking -for use without disassembling the fastner.

There are probably a lot more loctites out there...

jimtheshnoz

New Guy
    Dec 28, 2009
    Rockville

I've had the same trouble with my MKIII Target. Last time I went to the range I went to reload through the course of the day and found my sight 90 degrees from straight. Shot pretty well before that though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom