• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'm waiting on a BOK.
    Who is willing to teach me how to use it and not kill anyone?

Prefer a lil bit of basic first aid schooling too.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd check with CCJA, Tom Perroni. See what class he may have.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    What are you looking to learn? Are you looking for basic first aid? Or do you want to know how to start IV's, king airway, occlusive dressings, ect.

I'm sure I could help you out with what you need. I'm not a certified instructor however being a Fireman/EMT-A in DC for the 14 years, most of that time in the ghetto I have been on more shooting/stabbing calls than I can remember.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    Dark Angel Medical has a class in Chantilly VA the first weekend in October. If you don't buy their kit the class is $345 + $35 site fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What are you looking to learn? Are you looking for basic first aid? Or do you want to know how to start IV's, king airway, occlusive dressings, ect.

I'm sure I could help you out with what you need. I'm not a certified instructor however being a Fireman/EMT-A in DC for the 14 years, most of that time in the ghetto I have been on more shooting/stabbing calls than I can remember.

I was placed in a bad situation on Saturday and was the only person able to somewhat take charge. I do not like relying on others in times of crisis as they tend to fail you. I want to know how to save someone life from most major severe trauma.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Id start with basic first aid/aed and basic trauma class then add more later.

You want to be certified but not necessarily need to operate on the spot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Start with basic red cross first aid/CPR course and go from there. Always start with the basics.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Start with basic red cross first aid/CPR course and go from there. Always start with the basics.

Why do that when he has $400 for training and basic red cross doesn't cover most of this listed. Pretty sure he is MAINLY concerned about GSWs.
    If I had the cash, why not? Dark Angel is a good outfit. 2 day course in Chantilly.

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Why do that when he has $400 for training and basic red cross doesn't cover most of this listed. Pretty sure he is MAINLY concerned about GSWs.
    If I had the cash, why not? Dark Angel is a good outfit. 2 day course in Chantilly.

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit
    Good portion of that list is somewhat advance.

He has the money.. Sure.. Does want to start driving ambulance also? (I know most of us do).

Just my two cents. You cant really jump in advance mode if you don't know the basic. The list covers a lot for two days class.

If I'm the victim.. I sure don't want anybody shoving something in my mouth or poking needles on me when the guy just had two day class training.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm just the opposite. I'd rather have someone who just took an advance GSW course to aid a shot wound and not someone who just mastered the mildest portions of basic first aid.
    Most ranges here are near civilization, so really no airway or pneumothorax tension release would be needed.
    If I were out on my property in Western Maryland, I would prefer a newbie with this course than the dude who went to his local VFD to the basic first aid class.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If I were out on my property in Western Maryland, I would prefer a newbie with this course than the dude who went to his local VFD to the basic first aid class.

For a splinter that you got from making smores? Lol

I'm just giving u a hard time.. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wife and daughter(Fed employees) both are certified by red cross all the way up to Electro-shock(not sure if I'm using the correct term) defib. All taught by Red Cross, free including recerts every year. If it's free, what's the burn? I'm merely suggesting a place to start, not end.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wife and daughter(Fed employees) both are certified by red cross all the way up to Electro-shock(not sure if I'm using the correct term) defib. All taught by Red Cross, free including recerts every year. If it's free, what's the burn? I'm merely suggesting a place to start, not end.
    AED. :)
    Automated External Defibrillators

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Could I ask a simple question, how many of you were boy scouts? I had extensive first aid training with that and it has been augmented in my career as an engineer with site safety and training for construction accidents.

how much more would training like you guys are talking about add to my knowledge?

90% of what was listed I have already had extensive training on, including CPR/AED and first aid. One thing that is not listed is improvised transport and treatment aka, you don't have your kit what can you use..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Could I ask a simple question, how many of you were boy scouts? I had extensive first aid training with that and it has been augmented in my career as an engineer with site safety and training for construction accidents.

how much more would training like you guys are talking about add to my knowledge?

90% of what was listed I have already had extensive training on, including CPR/AED and first aid. One thing that is not listed is improvised transport and treatment aka, you don't have your kit what can you use..
    You know how to treat gsw? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom