• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Could you try seating the bullets a little further to up the pressure?

did you crimp?

you have a 75 percent cycling rate. it sounds like you are on the cusp of an adequate charge for function.

^^ That's what I did with the first 150 that I ever loaded, ever.

Lesson learned. Now I keep sandwhich bags where I'll load 5-10 of new loads and black marker the bags so I know what's in each one. Then I write notes on the bags with their casings after firing so I can keep track of the loads.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    According to the VV website, 3.7gr is the starting load and should be around 829 fps from their 6 inch test barrel. They list 4.0gr as max. At 829 fps that should cycle just about anything. I have loaded a 200gr LSWC down much lower than that out of a full size with a 16 lb spring. If you’re not running full power ball, changing the spring is a must. I run my USPSA major power factor load (200gr LSWC at 845 fps) with a 13 lbs spring. My vote is to change the spring and make them practice ammo.

Walt
    Ding ding ding we have a winner. My pro carry is 4" barrel and uses a 22lb spring. Midway has a "tune up" kit with 4 springs. Ill start here.

as far as my puller its rcbs and works very well with bullets up to .30.

For the life of me I dont know why I did such a large run before running some tests....oh well

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    22 pound spring is a LOT.

5" 1911 standard spring is 16 pound, and 18.5 was normal for "heavy" loads.

But now days people are running 14 or even 12 pound on USPSA Major loads.

Put in a lower rate spring and enjoy shooting. If you are worried, add a shock buffer.

EDIT ----

Just checked, 18 pound is the standard for a Commander length 1911.

Lesson learned. Now I keep sandwhich bags where I'll load 5-10 of new loads and black marker the bags so I know what's in each one. Then I write notes on the bags with their casings after firing so I can keep track of the loads.

If developing a load, I mark the charge weight on the case with a Sharpie. I arrange the round in the cartridge box to keep them separate and in increasing weight.

Everything I load goes into my reloading log book. My reloading log never leaves the bench. If I just prime a bunch of cases, that goes into the log. Measurements go into the reloading log. Source of the load data goes into the log (for example, Nosler 6 Manual).

When I shoot my reloads, or testing some factory ammo, it goes into my shot log. If I take crono readings, they go into the shot log. Group sizes go into the shot log. Etc.

I keep track of how many times each piece of brass was loaded. Each gets it own ziplock bag with the number and headstamp on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom