• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I loaded some range ammo for my .45's

First of all, I'm used 3.7gr Vihta Vuori N310 and the Oregon Trail 200 gr LSWC.

So, like a dumb ass, I didn't do any range tests, nor any chrono tests...I just loaded up 600 rounds.

After 100 rounds I find this load to be weak. Every 4th round or so is a FTE with double jam at the chamber. Its also not very accurate.

So my choices for a fix are?

Yeah I can pull 500 rounds, don't really want to do that. Or maybe I can change springs for this round only. The standard Kimber Pro Carry (Commander size) spring is #22.

Any thoughts?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I loaded some range ammo for my .45's

First of all, I'm used 3.7gr Vihta Vuori N310 and the Oregon Trail 200 gr LSWC.

So, like a dumb ass, I didn't do any range tests, nor any chrono tests...I just loaded up 600 rounds.

After 100 rounds I find this load to be weak. Every 4th round or so is a FTE with double jam at the chamber. Its also not very accurate.

So my choices for a fix are?

Yeah I can pull 500 rounds, don't really want to do that. Or maybe I can change springs for this round only. The standard Kimber Pro Carry (Commander size) spring is #22.

Any thoughts?

a 18 pound spring will hold a blowback pistol's breech closed long enough for it to safely fire makarov ammunition- for a locked breech pistol that's a seriously tight spring.

22 pounds is the weight of spring I put in my p-64, and it's a pussycat to shoot now.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just pull 'em apart and let it be a reminder to always follow the process. :)

It happens to all of us to an extent. The trick is to catch it early before you make too much work for yourself.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hate making mistakes?

The I in "mistakes" in the title is capitalized.

Sorry. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I tried pulling some...I think ill change to a lighter spring and shoot em off

That'll work too.

I'll admit, done the same thing myself. Didn't have a puller, so I destroyed the rounds reclaiming the powder.

Keep a few of them by the reloading bench as a subtle reminder.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    8000? Wow, thats alot of work.

Depends how you do it. I used to have my setup on a small school type desk near the TV, I'd just set up for one step and do all the cases I had and not go to the next step until they were all done. Was more constructive than just watching TV for sure. Last time I loaded .45acp was around 20 years ago, loaded 5 or 6 .50 caliber cans full of loose rounds, still have a little over a .30cal can full.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    You could sell them to me at cost/cheap - I have a S&W 625JM revolver that loves to punch holes in targets:D

pilgrim

My thought exactly. Ruger Blackhawk convertibles are nice.
    :)

What he said.
    I load between 5 per variation up to 10 variations. So a max of 50 without firing them. Once I have the load, churn them out. I hate pulling bullets.
    I keep some of my reloading errors on the bench to remember.
    Just last night someone asked about the excessively belled case by reloader.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm with Pilgrim. When I am loading something new or looking for less power or more power I only reload maybe 6 or 10 depending if it is a rifle / handgun load or if it is a shogun shell or slug I will reload 10-15. Once I determine what I have, then I will reload bulk. Like my new .223 reloads, I have 16 "test" rounds that I reloaded 2 weeks ago, I have still yet to fire them, but, I'm not going to waste components until I have shot "a few".

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Could you try seating the bullets a little further to up the pressure?

did you crimp?

you have a 75 percent cycling rate. it sounds like you are on the cusp of an adequate charge for function.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    According to the VV website, 3.7gr is the starting load and should be around 829 fps from their 6 inch test barrel. They list 4.0gr as max. At 829 fps that should cycle just about anything. I have loaded a 200gr LSWC down much lower than that out of a full size with a 16 lb spring. If you’re not running full power ball, changing the spring is a must. I run my USPSA major power factor load (200gr LSWC at 845 fps) with a 13 lbs spring. My vote is to change the spring and make them practice ammo.

Walt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom