• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    I completed an AR15 80% lower recently and assembled an AR15. In an effort to document the build before 1 Oct I took pictures of the weapon and went to the UPS store in Westminster to get a notary to sign the paper on which I had printed the pictures of the finished gun and lower. The notary refused to perform the service. He said he was not comfortable with the situation and would not risk his stamp on something with respect to weapons. He was happy to write down his reasons and sign the paper on which he wrote the reasons.

So how do I document my AR15 build before 1 Oct?

John C

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe you didn't word it correctly. They are just affirming your signature. you want to have a statement along with your pictures regarding your ownership as of a specified date. You then sign that document in front of them and they are merely affirming your signature, not whether or not your statement is true or even has any merit.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    I completed an AR15 80% lower recently and assembled an AR15. In an effort to document the build before 1 Oct I took pictures of the weapon and went to the UPS store in Westminster to get a notary to sign the paper on which I had printed the pictures of the finished gun and lower. The notary refused to perform the service. He said he was not comfortable with the situation and would not risk his stamp on something with respect to weapons. He was happy to write down his reasons and sign the paper on which he wrote the reasons.

So how do I document my AR15 build before 1 Oct?

John C

Notary needs reporting. A Notary only attests to the fact it is you signing the document. The contents of the document are not relevant. He needs to read the book they give when they make him official.

I'm a Notary and have to take a drive to Bollingers, but not until 10/3.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Well that's just ridiculous. Clearly that notary doesn't understand his job has nothing to do with the document's contents.

ETA: Dupe! JailHouse posted while I was typing.

Last edited:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I'm a notary.

The problem may be less the weapons thing and more what you are actually asking of them. Notaries can confirm identities according to ID cards but they are generally not experts on weapons or types or how to document them. If you want to document what you have and when you had it, just buy a Wall Street Journal and lay out your collection upon it, being sure to capture on video or camera the details you want to preserve(weapon configurations, newspaper date, etc.) and not those you wouldn't, e.g. serial#, perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom