• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I just got my first 1911 in Aug. I like it but I can't say it's my favorite. I'm similarly accurate with all my guns. I have Sigs, CZs, S&W M&Ps, and a Springfield 1911 Range Officer. I still think my favorite for accuracy is my CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. My favorites to carry are a toss-up between the SIGs and the M&Ps. Maybe once I remove the mainspring lock I'll be happier with the 1911. Ken

I have the exact same CZ. Far and away my favorite in my safe. I have also had some work done on it by the fine smiths down at Cajun Gun Works. Trigger is like ice. I really want to get my hands on the CZ Phantom, but can't seem to find one. (I suppose it's aptly named)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    At this point in my life, I will never go without at least one 1911. Unless it's at the gunsmith's shop. For four months.

Recently came to the same conclusion. I sold a full size Kimber SS Target II to a friend of a friend. I only had a few hundred rounds through and it was a sweet shooter. Unfortunately, the fully adjustable black blade sights were useless in anything but the most ideal light conditions, and it wasn't the least bit suitable for carry, so I wasn't using it.

Two weeks after it was gone I couldn't stand not having a 1911. So I replaced it with a Remington R1 Carry Commander. I feel much better. :)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Recently came to the same conclusion. I sold a full size Kimber SS Target II to a friend of a friend. I only had a few hundred rounds through and it was a sweet shooter. Unfortunately, the fully adjustable black blade sights were useless in anything but the most ideal light conditions, and it wasn't the least bit suitable for carry, so I wasn't using it.

Two weeks after it was gone I couldn't stand not having a 1911. So I replaced it with a Remington R1 Carry Commander. I feel much better. :)

You do know they make Meprolights for those Target II's? They look exactly the same as what was on that pistol, except the rear notch has glow bar, and the front blade has a dot that glows too.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    You do know they make Meprolights for those Target II's? They look exactly the same as what was on that pistol, except the rear notch has glow bar, and the front blade has a dot that glows too.

Did a lot of research and never found anything that would fit the Target rear dove tail. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, its gone, and I have a replacement I like even better!

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    Colt

Attachments

• GEDC3363.jpg
      GEDC3363.jpg
      99.3 KB · Views: 148

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Did a lot of research and never found anything that would fit the Target rear dove tail. Maybe I missed it? Anyway, its gone, and I have a replacement I like even better!

Thumbnail.aspx

You can buy them direct from Kimber, or Midway and other Mepro dealers carry them. Its the same sight that comes on an Eclipse Target II.

I have an STII - love that gun! I dont use it as a carry gun so the sights arent an issue for me!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I love 1911's. I shot one in the military years ago before they switched to the 9mm. The only reason I did not get one before Oct 1 is price. I saw a Glock 21 in a display case along side a Kimber 1911 and a low budget brand 1911. And that's was pretty much all that was left. The Kimber was appox. twice the price of the Glock. I did not want the budget brand model. So the 1911 did not happen before Oct 1. Good news is that they are not banned and the possibility of future purchase is still there.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The Remington R1 doesn't shake, rattle or roll, just spews lead down range pretty accurately! A new favorite among favorites! Oh, and the trigger? Sweet right out of the box!

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    You must have gotten a good one then. EVERY SR1911 that I have ever handled has rattled and rattled significantly. I like Ruger, but an SR1911 isn't on my list of guns to buy.

I was a friend's house, in King George, VA a couple of weeks ago, and one of the guys there produced a SR1911.

He offered to let me take a look, and from what I could tell, (and I'm NO Ruger fan!) is that this particular pistol was very tight and solid.
    There was NO side-to-side play in the slide/frame fit, that "I" could see or feel.

The ONLY issue that I could see....... there was a little bit of 'slop' between the barrel locking lugs and the slide (vertical play).
    (Custom) fitting a different barrel link would fix that, easily.

I've shot a LOT of 1911s over the years, and I'm a BIG Colt fan (of 1911s), but, that Ruger was niiiiiiiiice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    One of my regrets in selling handguns over the years was letting go of my perfectly modified (for me) 70 Series Colt in the mid 1990s. I later bought a SIG 220 which I've thoroughly enjoyed since day-1. I still have it and love to shoot it, but it's just not a 1911. Then within the last year I found a late 1960's-vintage Colt Government and bought it faster then you can say "1911".

Had it at the range recently and I'm in lust all over again. Some guys said, 'Don't shoot it...it's a collectors item'. I said, "You probably have a muscle car that you never drive under a car cover in your garage." I drive the wheels off my muscle car and I shoot my firearms every chance I get. In my mind, they don't want to hide in the gun safe any more than the muscle car wants to rot in the garage. As I expected, the old girl shoots like a dream. This one will never be sold...I learned my lesson...I'll always have this 1911...and probably more...

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    At this point in my life, I will never go without at least one 1911. Unless it's at the gunsmith's shop. For four months.

Ditto. Aside from being accurate, rugged, ergonomic, and beautiful, it's virtually immune to gun control legislation.

Handgun? Explicitly protected as of Heller.

Magazine Size? 10 rounds is pretty much the standard "common sense" limit.

5 inch barrel? Too big to be considered "easily concealed". (Looking at Canada's handgun laws here.)

:)

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    The last panic pistol I bought before October 1 was a RIA's 1911 in 45 acp.
    Shoots and functions great with 600 rounds thru it without a problem. After shooting polymer compacts and subcompacts, 1911's are in a league of thier own. Tight groups,heavy gun easy recoil. Perfect target pistol. Wish I woud have joined the band wagon sooner. Now with all the aftermarket parts avalible, what to upgrade next:)

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    The Remington R1 doesn't shake, rattle or roll, just spews lead down range pretty accurately! A new favorite among favorites! Oh, and the trigger? Sweet right out of the box!

Just shot mine for the first time today, and can't disagree.

I had some year-off slop, but still nicely tight on the paper. As long as I focused and didn't get "I'm pulling a trigger!!!" giddy, danged if those little metal boolit thingys didn't go right near where I wanted them to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom