• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iceman-cometh

Apr 17, 2022
    USA
    ...I don't want to start, but I do pick up my brass. Is there any interest in swapping the brass with a reloader who can trade ready to go rounds on some equitable basis and if so what would be that basis?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    ...I don't want to start, but I do pick up my brass. Is there any interest in swapping the brass with a reloader who can trade ready to go rounds on some equitable basis and if so what would be that basis?
    Really would depend. If you have hard to get brass some may be willing to trade for more common ammo. Not reloads though as that brings legal issues. Some companies do brass credit for their ammo if you look online.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    C54ADDA9-7870-4CC3-9367-9B8513EB65EA.jpeg

22 brass, make a decoration out of it

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You may get a barter for 22LR for your brass
    As said, if you are not liscenced you should not be trading or selling ammo iMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    How about you find a reloader in your area and learn to reload on his or her equipment? As for rate, considering the price of primers, a case or two per primer might be equitable. You are still gonna have to pay or trade for bullets and powder and your new "friend" might want you to buy those components for legal reasons.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Of the three people's loads that I would trust , two of them are dead .
    I’d trust one person other than myself and it’s my buddy who showed me how to reload. That said, I’ve got around 150 reloads “from him”, that were really me running his star press a couple of years ago (he let me run up a lot of 38spc and I just haven’t been shooting a ton of it. Combined with shooting a bunch of my own reloads done at home on my own equipment).

But I’d trust him. That’s about it. But I don’t think he’s trust himself to give reloads to someone else. I don’t trust me enough to give reloads to someone else. Heck I am not comfortable enough letting people shoot my reloads unless there was no commercial ammo I had on hand.

Other than some primers that were high that took a 2nd (or in a couple cases 3rd) strike to set off, and I’ve since fixed that issue in my process, never had an issue in a couple of years and maybe 1500-1800 reloads. I am very careful and look in every case before seating.

But I know a screw up is possible. I wouldn’t forgive myself if someone got hurt with one my reloads. I’d survive if I blew up my own gun. Or I wouldn’t, and then for me it would cease to matter. So I am fine reloading for myself. Not for anyone else.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Trusting someones reloads has liability written all over it. Barter/sell the brass to allocate to factory ammo instead. One good thing about brass fired from non-reloaders is that they are guaranteed once-fireds vs. the typical range gobbles (range pickups). Sorting by headstamp is also a plus.

Worst case, there's always the option of scrapping it/selling it at current scrap prices to reloaders.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Even when you get factory loads crap happens real graphic video not for the weak.

You do realize that he was shooting a SLAP round that was manufactured decades ago, right? IIRC, Scott admitted the SLAP rounds were from WW II in a video after the incident.

Your attempt at "new" factory ammo having issues, by posting that article, falls flat. If not flat, shows that you didn't see the whole story.

[yt]1449kJKxlMQ[/yt]

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You do realize that he was shooting a SLAP round that was manufactured decades ago, right? IIRC, Scott admitted the SLAP rounds were from WW II in a video after the incident.

Your attempt at "new" factory ammo having issues, by posting that article, falls flat. If not flat, shows that you didn't see the whole story.

[yt]1449kJKxlMQ[/yt]

I had seen the original and his updated attempt to recreate the problem. I thought he had just said he got them from an "unknown source" or something along those lines. As in, shady and untrustworthy. I don't recall him mentioning WWII.

SLAP rounds in .50BMG were originally developed in the 1980s last I had seen.

Odds are as good he was dealing with shade tree loads, not actual surplus ammo. Or components that had been de-milled and then reassembled. And at a guess, it was de-milled ammo, reassembled and whomever had done it was NOT using 50BMG appropriate powder. Probably some faster rifle powder and/or just significantly overcharged.

It does add the caveat on "commercial" or surplus ammo. Also only buy from sources you trust or can verify. The better dealers are probably not going to be selling highly suspect stuff and most of the better dealers also usually test the surplus they get (even if it is just open a box from a crate and take it out back to shoot it).

I won't say you never should, but it is also a strong argument against shooting potentially unsafe weapon designs. Single shot .50BMGs are an inherently unsafe design. Or I should say, screw breach designs are inherently unsafe. If they DO go boom instead of bang, the force is going straight back at you. A break action is going to break open shedding the energy. A tilting block still has a bunch of receiver behind it. Bolt action is generally not going to sheer the bolt lugs as the source of failure from a boom (see Doco's picture for most likely failure mode). Semi-autos the bolt has to travel straight back through the receiver. Etc.

Basically screw breach designs are the least safe if you are directly behind the thing if it goes boom. ANY of them can still kill you. But I've seen many a spectacular boom from a gun failing. And they are rarely fatal because they tend to explode outward and not rearward with the energy. Add in to 50BMG energy and I wouldn't take a screw breach .50BMG if you paid me. And if I did, I for sure would never shoot anything other than brand new off the shelf commercial reloads out of it. No surplus. No reloads. Any of the semi-auto .50 BMG I'd be way more trusting. Even a bolt action 50BMG.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I had seen the original and his updated attempt to recreate the problem. I thought he had just said he got them from an "unknown source" or something along those lines. As in, shady and untrustworthy. I don't recall him mentioning WWII.

SLAP rounds in .50BMG were originally developed in the 1980s last I had seen.

Odds are as good he was dealing with shade tree loads, not actual surplus ammo. Or components that had been de-milled and then reassembled. And at a guess, it was de-milled ammo, reassembled and whomever had done it was NOT using 50BMG appropriate powder. Probably some faster rifle powder and/or just significantly overcharged.

It does add the caveat on "commercial" or surplus ammo. Also only buy from sources you trust or can verify. The better dealers are probably not going to be selling highly suspect stuff and most of the better dealers also usually test the surplus they get (even if it is just open a box from a crate and take it out back to shoot it).

I won't say you never should, but it is also a strong argument against shooting potentially unsafe weapon designs. Single shot .50BMGs are an inherently unsafe design. Or I should say, screw breach designs are inherently unsafe. If they DO go boom instead of bang, the force is going straight back at you. A break action is going to break open shedding the energy. A tilting block still has a bunch of receiver behind it. Bolt action is generally not going to sheer the bolt lugs as the source of failure from a boom (see Doco's picture for most likely failure mode). Semi-autos the bolt has to travel straight back through the receiver. Etc.

Basically screw breach designs are the least safe if you are directly behind the thing if it goes boom. ANY of them can still kill you. But I've seen many a spectacular boom from a gun failing. And they are rarely fatal because they tend to explode outward and not rearward with the energy. Add in to 50BMG energy and I wouldn't take a screw breach .50BMG if you paid me. And if I did, I for sure would never shoot anything other than brand new off the shelf commercial reloads out of it. No surplus. No reloads. Any of the semi-auto .50 BMG I'd be way more trusting. Even a bolt action 50BMG.
    I was wrong. It was developed in the 80's and fielded in the 90's.

You do realize a shade tree reloader like yourself can't even get the components for a 50 BMG SLAP round, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom