• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I sent a copy of my creds. to them, and they gave me a 33% discount. Not too shabby! I used my discount to buy springs for my 586. $13 something, delivered.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Don't forget to send a copy of your C&R to Wolf, you get a discount.

Damn, I wish I had known that....a few weeks ago I ordered springs directly from Wolfe for my PA-63, P64 and PPK/S. Didn't know they offered a discount for C&R holders.

Last edited:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I can tell you right now that a 22lbs wolff spring does not affect reliability one bit- the only thing keeping that action shut on the cartridge is the weight of the slide and the spring, it would probably funtion with a 40 lbs spring, even with the 22 the slide hits the frame backing with authority and I have no failures to feed or eject or otherwise in many many many boxes of ammo, including reloads from both scavenged brass ppu ammo and steel cases that had to be drilled to accept a boxer primer and deprimered through hydraulic pressure, all loaded to conservative .380 specs- and all functioned fine. The main reason the factory spring is so loose is so it's easy to draw back the slide and for disassembly, as I recall the polish police do not keep a round in the chamber and to facilitate the racking that was part of their manual of arms the recoil spring was kept relatively light. This also explains the lack of a decent double action pull since if you were doing it by the book the only time you would need double action is in the event of a light primer strike.

But yeah, after the wolff spring changeout my p64 is my most oft carried pistol- small, convenient, and packs more punch than a .380 especially with defensive loads or 115 grain projectiles. My single action pull was so light after the change that I at first feared I would not get reliable ignition, but after cutting the pistol's teeth on surplus, I can safely say that all primers (that I have so far tried) either work 100% or are duds completely. I did have two failures to fire in a box of silver bear, but I tried them later in my mak- many many times, and they were still a no go.

I haven't measured the single action pull, but it's so light it literally surprises you, and so far I have milked INCREDIBLE accuracy out of it

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Just got a P-64 from SOG earlier this week and really don't think the DA trigger pull is that bad. Is there any chance or way of knowing if the spring was changed before I got it?

is it a triangle or rounded hammer?

The linkage is different in the two kinds, and the rounded hammer variants usually have MUCH better trigger pulls, and this carries over to after the spring change.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I can tell you right now that a 22lbs wolff spring does not affect reliability one bit- the only thing keeping that action shut on the cartridge is the weight of the slide and the spring, it would probably funtion with a 40 lbs spring, even with the 22 the slide hits the frame backing with authority and I have no failures to feed or eject or otherwise in many many many boxes of ammo, including reloads from both scavenged brass ppu ammo and steel cases that had to be drilled to accept a boxer primer and deprimered through hydraulic pressure, all loaded to conservative .380 specs- and all functioned fine. The main reason the factory spring is so loose is so it's easy to draw back the slide and for disassembly, as I recall the polish police do not keep a round in the chamber and to facilitate the racking that was part of their manual of arms the recoil spring was kept relatively light. This also explains the lack of a decent double action pull since if you were doing it by the book the only time you would need double action is in the event of a light primer strike.

But yeah, after the wolff spring changeout my p64 is my most oft carried pistol- small, convenient, and packs more punch than a .380 especially with defensive loads or 115 grain projectiles. My single action pull was so light after the change that I at first feared I would not get reliable ignition, but after cutting the pistol's teeth on surplus, I can safely say that all primers (that I have so far tried) either work 100% or are duds completely. I did have two failures to fire in a box of silver bear, but I tried them later in my mak- many many times, and they were still a no go.

I haven't measured the single action pull, but it's so light it literally surprises you, and so far I have milked INCREDIBLE accuracy out of it

Locked and Loaded?

The safety is HARD to disengage. I've resisted taking any medal off to loosen it up, since I have no experience with such things. I've sat in front of the TV and worked the safety over and over to loosen it up a bit, with no results.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Locked and Loaded?

The safety is HARD to disengage. I've resisted taking any medal off to loosen it up, since I have no experience with such things. I've sat in front of the TV and worked the safety over and over to loosen it up a bit, with no results.

I carry mine every once in a while, when I don't feel like carrying my CZ75 compact clone.

I always have a round in the chamber, and the safety on. I don't trust it enough otherwise after some of the things I've read.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I carry mine every once in a while, when I don't feel like carrying my CZ75 compact clone.

I always have the safety on. I don't trust it enough otherwise after some of the things I've read.

You don't want to drop it with one in the chamber. It's old school technology, long before firing pin block safeties came to be.

I asked if cocked & locked, since he'd mentioned the Polish Police DO NOT keep a round in the chamber and then have to rack the slide to use the gun. My complete question should have been, "Do you keep a round in the chamber and the safety on, or will you have to rack the slide if you need the gun?"

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have two and have not changed springs because there is a reason for the heavy double action pull. Snap it a few times and it is not that bad.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I did the spring job just like the video on mine too, but first I took it to the range with some regular shooting friends and had a few of them shoot it. They were flabbergasted by the pull. Following the spring change I did it again, and they loved it. Mine is a "triangle" hammer.

Great gun. Very tempted to add it to the carry rotation! It is at least going in as a BU gun candidate.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Locked and Loaded?

why on earth would you carry it with the safety on? It's a double action/single action with a long trigger pull and a pronounced wall at the end of that long long first pull. Granted my spring job smoothed the crap out of it, but it is NOT going to get pulled by accident.

That safety is nothing but a decocker for me. And why would it be anything else? It's a decocker, can't carry cocked and locked with it.

But yeah, I carry it all the time. It's so tiny it fits anywhere, comfortable appendix carry, and it actually works in an ankle holster, this is literally the only pistol other than the LCP I got rid of I could pull this off with, and 9mm mak kicks the crap out of .380 with my 115 grain HPs from Hornady clocking in at around 1020-1110fps

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    also, the linkage in the p64 is advanced for it's time. The hammer will not go past a certain point without the trigger all the way back, that is the first thing I checked before carrying it loaded with one in the chamber. Unless you dropped it hard enough to break the blocking bar, which is pretty thick, you're fine, and even if it did break, I doubt there would be sufficient force to transfer to the firing pin and overcome the stiff firing pin spring I put in that i got from wolff. The thing is a freaking monster.

Point is, I feel fine with it, I trust it completely.

Also, while police were trained to carry it that way, military officers carried five in the magazine and one in the chamber with the safety on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom