• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Does it have 1 lug or 2? Is it a faster rifle compared to the SMLE? I saw the Norwegian rifle competition on Youtube and I couldn't find any other gun could be faster.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A Krag has three points of pressure that prevent the bolt from moving rearward.

The front of the bolt body, the rear of the bolt body, and the back of the bolt handle where it mates with the receiver notch.

krag.jpg

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    The reasons for confusion are:

1. The “Gundigest” website stated that: “The Krag bolt has only one actual locking lug…”
    2. The “American Rifleman” website stated that: “The bolt locked by means of a single lug at the front…”
    3. The “Trueaboutguns” website stated that: “The Krag also features a smooth bolt action, albeit a one-lug design…”
    4. The “World guns” website stated that: “It has single locking lug at the front of the bolt…”
    5. On Wikipedia, the writer got more creative mind stated that: “The American Krag-Jorgensen has only a single lug, whereas the Norwegian and the Danish versions effectively have two lugs…”

English is my second languish and I am still learning. With the above statements and my interpretation I think I can safely say the K11 rifle and carbine have no lug design bolt. The Lee Enfield (SMLE) and the French MAS36 also have no lug.

I did come across a website which stated that the Krag-Jorgenson files have 3 locking points for the bolt including the bolt handle. If this proves to be true, my Krag rifle must be a lemon because I can stick my business card into the gap between the handle and the receiver cutout when the bolt was closed.

Even though the Krag-Jorgensen rifles/carbines are getting rarer every day, I am not the last people who are collecting them, so it must be a lot of experts out there who may want to give us some thought.

Thanks for reading and comments. I will post some pictures of my rifle and the parts in question later when my wife is out of the house.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The Danish Krags do have a knob on the gate. The gate is a bit different in that it is hinged to fold forward.

And the pic is from Google.

My all matching Norwegian Carbine is in the safe. :bannana: Without a doubt my favorite military rifle.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Lucky you iH8DemLibz! Someday I will get a Norwegian version. I lived in Oslo 2 summers in 2006 and 2007 and I left my heart behind when I finished my duty there.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here the pictures.
    As iH8Dembibz shown above, The Krags (Dan, US, Norge) all have 2 true lugs. The third that some people may believe (The bolt handle) is just a safety lug (Mauser rifles also have one in the rear of the bolt). Sooooo... The krag rifles are stronger than many American shooters/collectors/technical writers thought they are. For slow, single round reloading, it is another BS. Look at my loading system. The paper ammo loads I came up with are easy and cheap to produce and they are really effective (now way too late to file a patent). The weakness of the rifles are: complicated design, expensive to produce. look flimsy and use a weak and rimmed cartridge (US). During the 2WW, military around the world believed that bigger and faster is better. Now a day we all know that bigger and faster is just overkill and a burden to carry. Correct me if I am wrong!

Attachments

• Krag_FL.jpg
      Krag_FL.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 170
    • Krag_Rx.jpg
      Krag_Rx.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 165
    • Loading system.jpg
      Loading system.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 248

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts