• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    For those looking for something cheaper ($70 red dot + $11 QD mount (get the RQ2W3256S for lower 1/3 cowitness, as I have in the picture)) get the new Primary Arms 3MOA Gen II red dot. It's great and it's way cheaper. The Aimpoint is undoubtedly better but for the price the Primary Arms it's hard to beat. Perfect for someone like me who just screws around at the range.

Attachments

• 2013-12-30 17.02.47.jpg
      2013-12-30 17.02.47.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 335
    • 2013-12-30 17.03.17.jpg
      2013-12-30 17.03.17.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 332
    • 2013-12-30 17.03.33.jpg
      2013-12-30 17.03.33.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 333
    • 2013-12-30 17.04.07.jpg
      2013-12-30 17.04.07.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 332

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I got a vortex strike fire and the dot is/ seems to be some kind of nebula. I have used other cheaper red dots that look better. But red dots are great!

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I got a vortex strike fire and the dot is/ seems to be some kind of nebula. I have used other cheaper red dots that look better. But red dots are great!

I don't have a Strike Fire but I'd guess you're running the brightness to high which is causing it to look like that.

General rule of thumb is to run the Red Dot on the lowest power setting you can while still being able to see the dot. Obviously you're going to run the dot brighter when shooting outside under the sun versus a indoor low light setting.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't have a Strike Fire but I'd guess you're running the brightness to high which is causing it to look like that.

General rule of thumb is to run the Red Dot on the lowest power setting you can while still being able to see the dot. Obviously you're going to run the dot brighter when shooting outside under the sun versus a indoor low light setting.

True - even the Aimpoint looks like a nebula on the brightest settings.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

Thanks, but all the way down it will have the same shape. The shape does not spin with the tube so it might be my watery eyes.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks, but all the way down it will have the same shape. The shape does not spin with the tube so it might be my watery eyes.

Either it's a bad red dot or you have astigmatism.

Poke a small hole in a piece of paper with a pen. Look at the red dot through the tiny hole. If the dot looks fine then it's your eyes.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yup, astigmatism. I suppose it is surgery or I just can't use red dots. If any one wants a strike fire there is one in my back yard somewhere.

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    I have an Aimpoint Pro as well and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've always been a fan of iron sights but I've got a soft spot in my heart for the old red dot now.

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Been running a Vortex Sparc on my AR and I think it is great: keeps zero well and haven't had an issue with battery life.....found a good deal today and upgraded to an EOTech 512..... The Sparc will now have a home on my AK.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    ironpony:

From what I've heard from family, the EOTech sights (and perhaps similar holographic sights?) do not exhibit the same problems for sufferers of astigmatism. It might be useful to try a friend's out. You may find a usable red dot, if you don't mind the circle around it.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yup, astigmatism. I suppose it is surgery or I just can't use red dots. If any one wants a strike fire there is one in my back yard somewhere.

My dots look the same and guess what, if I put the weird shaped mass on the target and press the trigger I get hits. The dot still works fine even if it does not look perfectly round. You do know you are supposed to look past, not at, the dot don’t you?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You should not be looking (focusing) on the dot.

Look at (focus on) the target, if you perceive the dot on the target, you shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom