• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    So this is strictly hypothetical. I purchase all my mags above 10rds out of state and this is just curiosity from being stuck at work for 8 hours doing a whole lot of nothing. I have absolutely no intention of breaking the law.

Anyways, what is there to stop someone from shipping a magazine to my home address from out of state that's above 30rds, outside of a store refusing? For instance, I have a number of friends that live in Austin, TX. If they were to try to send me a 30rd magazine through usps, fedex, what have you, what can prevent it and what legal issues would arise from such things? I've always wondered but never really looked into it since I have family in PA that can buy the mags for me and I can just go pick them up. Thanks in advance!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So this is strictly hypothetical. I purchase all my mags above 10rds out of state and this is just curiosity from being stuck at work for 8 hours doing a whole lot of nothing. I have absolutely no intention of breaking the law.

Anyways, what is there to stop someone from shipping a magazine to my home address from out of state that's above 30rds, outside of a store refusing? For instance, I have a number of friends that live in Austin, TX. If they were to try to send me a 30rd magazine through usps, fedex, what have you, what can prevent it and what legal issues would arise from such things? I've always wondered but never really looked into it since I have family in PA that can buy the mags for me and I can just go pick them up. Thanks in advance!

What's to prevent them from sending you drugs, guns, bomb's, anthrax, dead bodies, etc.

It's just against the law. And it's possible you could get caught and then charged.

So other then wanting to be a criminal and the possible court sanctions and ethic/moral issues not really much stopping you just like there isn't much stopping someone from sending you drugs. Just the chance of you getting caught.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Lol the spring comment had me laughing. :lol: But yeah that's what I figured. A lot of bark and not much bite when it comes to shipping shit. I even wonder if shipping just the magazine body, without the spring and follower would still classify it as a magazine in Maryland. If only the laws were clear...LOL! I need to get out of this state soon. Too many hoops.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    You know, I drive to delaware a lot to go fishing and never really thought to check out gun shops on the way. Any suggestions? I usually drive from the BWI area to Cape Henlopen.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'll bet there's all sorts of "stuff" in UPS boxes that get shipped every day.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Other than the fact that it is illegal, there is nothing to stop someone from shipping magazines with a capacity greater than ten rounds to Maryland.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They (USPS, UPS, FedEx) all use Instafroshometer machines that all parcels are passed through that detect spring tension on magazines >10 rds.

I thought you were supposed to clear that thru our supervisor, Mr Snowden, before revealing it in public.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    You know, I drive to delaware a lot to go fishing and never really thought to check out gun shops on the way. Any suggestions? I usually drive from the BWI area to Cape Henlopen.

One your way to Cape Henlopen, you absolutely gotta stop at Steele's Guns. It's a couple miles before you get to Five Points, on the left side of the highway. Here's the address:

Address: 28815 Lewes Georgetown Hwy, Lewes, DE 19958
    Phone:(302) 684-5198

If you're into browsing for used guns, it's an absolute nirvana -- they have tons of "stuff" to go through, including dozens of C&R firearms.

JoeR

Feb 28, 2013

But the scenario you describe below IS breaking the law.

Anyways, what is there to stop someone from shipping a magazine to my home address from out of state that's above 30rds, outside of a store refusing?

Realistically, nothing other than the possibility of being caught.

For instance, I have a number of friends that live in Austin, TX. If they were to try to send me a 30rd magazine through usps, fedex, what have you, what can prevent it and what legal issues would arise from such things?
    There are folks in Austin of all places that are willing to do this?

I've always wondered but never really looked into it since I have family in PA that can buy the mags for me and I can just go pick them up. Thanks in advance!

That's the best way to handle it. Buy 'em from some outfit like Joebob's, have 'em shipped to PA, and go pick 'em up when they arrive.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    One your way to Cape Henlopen, you absolutely gotta stop at Steele's Guns. It's a couple miles before you get to Five Points, on the left side of the highway. Here's the address:

Address: 28815 Lewes Georgetown Hwy, Lewes, DE 19958
    Phone:(302) 684-5198

If you're into browsing for used guns, it's an absolute nirvana -- they have tons of "stuff" to go through, including dozens of C&R firearms.

JoeR

Sounds like a good reason for a Saturday road trip this winter.
    Thanks, made this what if thread worthwhile

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    But the scenario you describe below IS breaking the law.

Realistically, nothing other than the possibility of being caught.

There are folks in Austin of all places that are willing to do this?

That's the best way to handle it. Buy 'em from some outfit like Joebob's 'em shipped to PA, and go pick 'em up when they arrive.

Like I said, I'm not asking to do it. I have too much to lose. I'm asking out of boredom and curiosity. That's why I said hypothetical. I'm well aware it's illegal. I'm asking how they would catch someone.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lol the spring comment had me laughing. :lol: But yeah that's what I figured. A lot of bark and not much bite when it comes to shipping shit. I even wonder if shipping just the magazine body, without the spring and follower would still classify it as a magazine in Maryland. If only the laws were clear...LOL! I need to get out of this state soon. Too many hoops.

You can legally receive all the parts, as long as the magazine is not fully assembled. Joe Bobs is an IP here and all you need to do is put a note in the comment box to ship your mags as kits.

HOWEVER, you may not legally assemble them in MD. My office is in NOVA< so I take the kits there and assemble them. Takes about 15 - 20 seconds per mag. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom