• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much would you pay per year for an unrestricted MD Carry Permit?

• $0 - I won't pay blackmail money for a right

Votes: 110 43.8%
    • $100 per year seems reasonable

Votes: 84 33.5%
    • $250 per year, a bit high but worth it

Votes: 33 13.1%
    • $500 per year, but not liking it

Votes: 14 5.6%
    • $1000 per year, ridiculous, but I want a permit

Votes: 6 2.4%
    • $1500 or more... just bend me over, Annapolis

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
    How much do you pay for your freedom to speak your mind? How much do you pay for your religious faith?

Your right to keep and bear arms should cost you nothing, it's your Constitutional right! I realize this has been posted before but it should be the only answer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For all the people who posted an amount please also list the amount you will be willing to pay for:

The right to vote?

The right to attend the church of your choice?

The right to speak your mind or carry a protest sign?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For all the people who posted an amount please also list the amount you will be willing to pay for:

The right to vote?

You might notice the amount I posted was to escape the leftarded hellhole of the Glorious Peoples' Demokratik Republik.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

The right to vote?

Voting is free. I'll give you that one.

Lots of money spent in church. Voluntary? Sure! But so is paying a couple of hundred dollars for an unrestricted carry permit.

It costs $120.00 to pull a Gathering Permit in Washington, D.C. So free speech isn't entirely free.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I don't have to pay to vote or to worship or to exercise my right to free speech. I should not have to pay to keep or bear arms. Paying a tax to exercise a Second Amendment right is infringement and therefore unconstitutional.
    Charging somebody to pay to exercise a Constitutionally-guaranteed right is no different than imposing a tax on voting.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Voting is free. I'll give you that one.

Lots of money spent in church. Voluntary? Sure! But so is paying a couple of hundred dollars for an unrestricted carry permit.

It costs $120.00 to pull a Gathering Permit in Washington, D.C. So free speech isn't entirely free.

I can go to church and spend no money. I can't carry in Maryland even with restrictions without spending some money.

It doesn't cost a cent in DC for an individual to speak their opinion on the sidewalk in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

The right to vote?

Limit it to those who pay the taxes that keep the system running. The rest have no skin in the game, they just benefit from its generosity, and believe the nation owes them a living just for being alive.

Credwink

Jul 22, 2017
    Baltimore Highlands
    It's a right, so we shouldn't have to pay... BUT I understand this is Maryland so $100 for 5 years would be my max but $50 for 5 years would be more reasonable.

You need smaller amounts in your poll.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Just curious: For those of you saying "$0 because you should not have to pay for a right": Why does that not apply to the 77R or other fees associated with firearms purchases in the People's Republic?

I agree with the sentiment (but would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for an unrestricted permit). So aren't we already paying for the right? Or does the fee to simply purchase a "regulated firearm" not apply to this line of thinking?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just curious: For those of you saying "$0 because you should not have to pay for a right": Why does that not apply to the 77R or other fees associated with firearms purchases in the People's Republic?

I agree with the sentiment (but would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for an unrestricted permit). So aren't we already paying for the right? Or does the fee to simply purchase a "regulated firearm" not apply to this line of thinking?

It does apply there should be NO fees because any added fee is an infringement and burdens a right. Voter cards are paid for from the general tax pool that is generated from all taxpayers whether they vote or not.

Hodad

Feb 10, 2013
    $4

I pay $4 a year for a 5 year permit in PA. The $20 covers the cost of running the Sherriff's special office that processes, takes the picture and issues the license.

Although I am most likely in line with popular opinion in saying you should not need a permit, I support paying nominal fee to cover the cost the Gov't incurs to issue it. Also strongly against it being set up as a revenue which will in fact discriminate against those that can't afford excessive fees.

MD residents need to vote with their feet and make a move. When enough actual tax payers escape the tyranny of the state, they will eventually make a change. Plenty of room in PA where your vote actually counts. I moved out of MD years ago for essentially these reasons and never looked back.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Does anyone know when the last permit holder shot their pistol out in public for self defense?

There was a case a couple of years back. Man with a permit defended himself after being attacked while taking $$ to the bank. Am looking for a link; haven’t found it as yet.

Here's one that was posted on THR by K-Romulus (Mar 17, 2006):

Man shot dead at Cross Keys

Victim kills attacker during robbery attempt in quiet North Baltimore shopping center

By Julie Bykowicz
    Sun Reporter

March 17, 2006, 9:52 PM EST

A man who was attacked by would-be robbers at the upscale Village of Cross Keys shopping center in North Baltimore Friday afternoon grabbed his own gun and fatally shot one of the assailants in a parking lot, city police said.

Investigators believe that the man who opened fire just before 2 p.m. might have been on his way to a bank when he was attacked by three men who jumped out of a white car in front of a Williams-Sonoma store.

During the brawl, the man who had been attacked was able to pull away to retrieve a handgun concealed inside his Honda Accord, and then he fatally shot one of the attackers, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman.

Bullets shattered windows of his car. The other two assailants hopped back inside their car and sped off with a fourth man driving, Moses said.

The four men did not appear to be armed, police said.

Police did not release the name of the man who was attacked. But several employees at the center and a high-ranking police official with knowledge of the investigation described him as a gas station owner in his 50s who regularly makes deposits at the Columbia Bank and who might have been targeted.

The shooting victim, whom police had not identified Friday night, was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Moses said.

Within 30 minutes of the shooting, Moses said, police had found the white vehicle used by the attackers, abandoned at Cold Spring Lane and Greenspring Avenue. The men were being sought Friday night.

Moses said the man who was attacked had a permit for the gun and would probably not face criminal charges. The city state's attorney's office reviews fatal shootings.

Shoppers who pulled into Cross Keys Friday saw something they are wholly unaccustomed to: police cars and yellow crime scene tape blocking part of the parking lot. A police helicopter hovered overhead for part of the afternoon.

The attack took place at a plaza filled with women's clothing stores such as Ann Taylor and Talbots and in a parking lot usually filled with luxury vehicles.

Cross Keys -- in the 5100 block of Falls Road, parallel to Roland Park -- includes about 30 stores, a Radisson Hotel, and beauty salons and spas such as Elizabeth Arden's Red Door. High-end condominums and townhouses and business and professional office buildings are included in the 73-acre community.

Store employees and customers said they couldn't recall anything like Friday's attack ever happening, and police said there have been no reported robberies or attempted robberies there in recent months.

Michelle J. Schiffer, vice president and general manager of Cross Keys, said two teams of security guards patrol the grounds. There is security for the shops and security for the gatehouse and roads.

"This is a wonderful gated community," she said, adding that she could not release any details about what happened Friday.

Store employees said they did not hear gunshots but saw several customers rush inside when the shooting began.

"People ran inside and told us they heard gunshots," said Tara Williams, a sales associate at Ann Taylor for more than two years.

She and other employees said they were in disbelief.

"This is completely out of the norm," she said. "Nothing like this has ever happened here before. It's really shocking to see."

"It was so scary," said Rani Hyun, manager of Cross Keys Cleaners. "It's such a quiet place -- so much security."

Most stores remained open Friday evening, although employees noted that business was slower than usual. Williams and other employees worried that news of the attack would, at least temporarily, affect business.

"There's a strong possibility this could scare customers," she said.:rolleyes:

Two women shopping together who didn't want to give their names said they would think twice before coming back.

But other shoppers said they were unfazed.

"Shootings happen everywhere," said Brenda Jones of Pikesville, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins University.

Jones and her mother were relaxing in the tidy courtyard "enjoying the ambience," she said.

Patty Satisky, a Baltimore County resident who said she has frequented the Cross Keys area for 40 years, said the crime wouldn't keep her from coming for her regular hair appointments at Carl's Beauty Salon.

"I don't think there's any place that's completely safe," she said.

julie.bykowicz@baltsun.com

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Some states now offer lifetime permits to everyone, or military as a benefit of service.
    The fee averages around $100 original and $50 replacement.

There is no photo on the permit, which remains the property of the issuing state.

You are required to carry a government issued photo ID with it to be valid.

Why do permits need to ever expire?

LEOs just call the State Police to see if it’s still valid or simply look up the permit status on a mobile terminal.

Apr 1, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Admin Costs Only

I feel it should be only admin costs not revenue generation (a not to sly way of saying "tax" IMHO). So if we say $100 that should be the start for 3 years and then $50/year renewal for 3 years. (as close to a driver's license as possible).

If we want to go down the revenue idea why not go for a tiered scheme:

Platinum.. $1000/yr .. carry and allow others to carry for a short time
    Gold.... $200/yr .... carry anywhere
    Silver... $75/yr .... carry where not prohibited
    Bronze.. $50/yr ... carry in special places (designated by signs)
    Tin....... $10/yr ..... neighborhood carry only

Seems ridiculous but so is paying annually, at least to me...

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    $0. I escaped the People's Republic last August to West Virginia and have not looked back. I just regret not doing it sooner.
    I sympathize with everyone who has been designated a victim by the Marylistan legislature by denying you the choice to protect yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom