• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    My brother is in the process of trying to procure a lab from a rescue shelter and he is being told that it is illegal to hunt a dog that is rescued or a dog from a pound? I cannot even begin to imagine that this is "illegal" but we are in Maryland.

I assume that the shelter could deny him the dog if they are against it but a "law" against it? I told him don't say anything about it. Just tell them that you have access to farm land to run the dog and exercise it regularly. I have never rescued a dog so do any of you have experience?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It's typical speel you hear from rescue..

Don't leave dog alone
    Riding in pickup bed
    Etc
    Etc

But you do need to put in consideration these dogs are not trained to hunt.. So few things may be hard for them to learn.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I tried to rescue two dogs through lab rescue. We filled out the application and were willing to let them inspect our house. It seemed like it was going to be a done deal until I asked the question, 'Would this be a good hunting dog?'. The representative's face turned white for a second. We never received a call and our phone calls were not returned. I'm not a fan of Lab Rescue in the DC area, they're a bunch of libtards.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A lot of rescue folks seem like they'd rather put a dog down than give him to somebody that doesn't meet their lofty requirements. How very noble of them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    A lot of rescue folks seem like they'd rather put a dog down than give him to somebody that doesn't meet their lofty requirements. How very noble of them.
    Not all..

2 of my dogs was saved from kill shelter by another rescue group.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Rescue community is largely libtards.

They are almost totally devoid of logic or reason.

They DO NOT CONSIDER ANY OPINION OTHER THAN THEIR OWN.

Indeed, they are pack animals as they tend to look for same types to reinforce their version of the world.

I work with them routinely. They are well intended but generally unable to distinguish their utopia from reality and they don't care to be bothered by truth or common sense. Indeed, they eschew it.

PS. Their "rescue work" is where their righteous gene and their control gene finally give them a pulpit to chastise us sinners. And chastise they do... They don't enjoy control anywhere else in their lives so they relish the chance to judge you and put you through the ringer...all the while introducing more risk to the future of the potentially adopted pet. Selfish is as selfish does.

I see it almost every day. Me...me...me.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I tried to rescue two dogs through lab rescue. We filled out the application and were willing to let them inspect our house. It seemed like it was going to be a done deal until I asked the question, 'Would this be a good hunting dog?'. The representative's face turned white for a second. We never received a call and our phone calls were not returned. I'm not a fan of Lab Rescue in the DC area, they're a bunch of libtards.

That is what happened. He was asking questions about the dogs history and mentioned something positive about getting it outside in the open through hunting"

How the hell would they know?
    I told him to stop making this harder than it needs to be. He said that they have it on the application. I told him to respond with "I do not intend to adopt this dog for hunting purposes" It is after all a family dog first and it may not be a good hunting dog pending its background. It could be gun shy or just no a great hunter. If it turns out to be a decent hunting dog then great but that is not your intention.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Bbut if you hunt you kill all those fluffy animals. We can't have that.

Just tell them that if the dog is a good hunter you won't sell him to your buddy at the cosmetics testing lab. That should reassure them.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I'm calling BS. Besides, how would they know if it was a rescue or not?

there is no way to know, who is going to enforce that? DNR - absolutely not. LEO - no way. Even if the dog is chipped, they are not checking to see if it should be out in a field.

Crazy times. He just needs to put some pants on and get the dog he wants. As long as it is well taken care of, it is no ones business.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Go to a kill shelter in an adjacent state in a rural county. Pay the fee and take that dog with you with thanks. No PC, no BS and you are rescuing a dog that otherwise would not have made it and prolonging the life of some others.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    The adoption papers mentioned hunting for both of my cocker spaniels, both of which are rescues, and from different organizations.

Of course, YMMV, but my older one would probably tear anything I shot to shreds, and the younger one would run from it... he runs from everything. Lately, the older one is afraid of loud noises too :\

Other than that, they're great dogs. I'd say go ahead and rescue the lab, see if it likes hunting or can be trained to do it, and go from there.

-John

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    That is what happened. He was asking questions about the dogs history and mentioned something positive about getting it outside in the open through hunting"

I told him to stop making this harder than it needs to be. He said that they have it on the application. I told him to respond with "I do not intend to adopt this dog for hunting purposes" It is after all a family dog first and it may not be a good hunting dog pending its background. It could be gun shy or just no a great hunter. If it turns out to be a decent hunting dog then great but that is not your intention.
    I bought a purebred Chesapeake Bay Retriever for the same price you would pay for adopting a lab rescue. I handed them cash, they handed me the dog and the AKC papers. We got to pick from 8 puppies, 4 male and 4 female. It was an abnormally warm day just before spring. My daughter was the happiest kid on the planet as she held the dog in her arms on the ride home from Marydel, Maryland. I'll never forget it. It was so easy.

What a contrast to the many visits to Lab Rescue events. I almost adopted two dogs from them: one that barked like mad and was aggressive (no one wanted it, but I knew I could calm him down) and the other so shy that it had 'nervous dandruff' (no one wanted that dog either).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Go to a kill shelter in an adjacent state in a rural county. Pay the fee and take that dog with you with thanks. No PC, no BS and you are rescuing a dog that otherwise would not have made it and prolonging the life of some others.

So much this, Sucks that a ton of good dogs are held hostage by idiots that are more concerned about their rescue's appearance and lofty standards than dogs in need of good homes.

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Resqu organizations tend to be a bit whacko. That said, I got my Black Lab from the Frederick Lab Rescue...no issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom